Gay marriage makes economic sense for Australia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-32666046

In Australia, at least 18,000 same-sex couples are waiting for the law to change to allow them to get married, according to the University of Queensland.

If, and when, their big day comes, it could be an expensive business covering the cost of hotels, caterers, photographers and florists, not to mention clothes, rings and a honeymoon.

Campaigners estimate that the average Australian wedding has a price tag of around 35,000 Australian dollars ($27,000; £18,000).

• 4 weeks later...

No idea what the external link on the OP has to do with the topic. That is the title and the jist of the OP.

On topic: About time Australia followed Ireland's lead. before someone complaints to say this topic is about Australia, just take a look at the hundreds of posts where another country has been mentioned. The Ireland post mentions Thailand.

Here is another example where another country was mentioned in the OP.

Edited by TechnoCrasy

Yeah, right. Recognition of gay rights in Australia has historically been about recognising civil unions so that when people get older, the government can treat them to a "married" pension rate - i.e., considerably lower than the single one, because after all "two can live as cheaply as one."

It was a rather cynical money-saving move by (I think) John Howard's government.

Personally I think marriage is a religious concept, and I don't want a bar of it. But other people do, so why not?

I don't want a bar of it. But other people do, so why not?

So you are saying that a few people want a bar of it. So you are willing to tag along. What about the 18,000 same sex couples mentioned in the OP, they are also "other" people..

IMHO its pretty dangerous to go along with something just to satisfy a minority. We should base our opinion on what is best for the country.