Which pick up do you recommend?

Uh NO! both Ford and Chevy have been around MANY more years longer than any other car manufacture in Thailand.

Ford yes, Chevy no ;)

Ford 1903

Chevy 1911

Isuzu 1916

Mitsubishi 1917

Mazda 1920

Nissan 1933

Toyota 1937

Who invented the automobile?

Edited by 2fishin2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh NO! both Ford and Chevy have been around MANY more years longer than any other car manufacture in Thailand.

Ford yes, Chevy no wink.png

Ford 1903

Chevy 1911

Isuzu 1916

Mitsubishi 1917

Mazda 1920

Nissan 1933

Toyota 1937

Who invented the automobile?

So you're saying Ford has been around in Thailand since 1903 and Chevy since 1911.

Maybe have another look at that statement.

Nope saying from the original comment that Ford who invented the automobile and Chevy have been in business longer.

Ford invented the automobile? Really? May have introduced the production line but certainly had nothing to do with inventing the automobile.

Nope saying from the original comment that Ford who invented the automobile and Chevy have been in business longer.

Ford invented the automobile? Really? May have introduced the production line but certainly had nothing to do with inventing the automobile.

Yes should have been more specific with that. I always forget the testing and patents came before production. For the sake of this argument and original post only, I have stated the dates the relevant car manufactures began production of vehicles.

Yes should have been more specific with that. I always forget the testing and patents came before production. For the sake of this argument and original post only, I have stated the dates the relevant car manufactures began production of vehicles.

Benz was producing and selling cars before Ford.

Who cares about depreciation. Purchase a vehicle for its purpose to drive, not depreciation value. If you were talking about antiques or some kind of investment ok. A car, who cares what a Thai thinks about its value. They dont have a clue about fair market value. They just want to rip people off for as much as they can get.

Since the post was about presence in Thailand your comment about Ford And Chevy was off topic anyway.

Who cares about depreciation. Purchase a vehicle for its purpose to drive, not depreciation value. If you were talking about antiques or some kind of investment ok. A car, who cares what a Thai thinks about its value. They dont have a clue about fair market value. They just want to rip people off for as much as they can get.

How exactly are "they" ripping people off? Like anywhere in the world, when buying a car used or new, you do your homework and get an idea what a particular model sells for. If you are stupid enough to pay double the market value because you haven't checked out prices, then more fool you. Just because used cars fetch higher prices in Thailand than other countries doesn't mean anyone is getting ripped off. In fact you tend to lose a lot less when you sell.

Since the post was about presence in Thailand your comment about Ford And Chevy was off topic anyway.

And the op I started this with was talking about a Nissan so yeah chuckle we're all <deleted> lol

Thai Motor Co. (which later become Ford Thailand in 1973) was founded in 1947 to import Fords, they began assembling passenger vehicles in 1961.

When did Merc set up and start assembling passenger vehicles in Thailand ?

Thai Motor Co. (which later become Ford Thailand in 1973) was founded in 1947 to import Fords, they began assembling passenger vehicles in 1961.

When did Merc set up and start assembling passenger vehicles in Thailand ?

My take on it was the post I was replying to was referencing the world not just Thailand; patents, testing etc.

I know Benz were a long way off being the first car manufacturer in Thailand.

Thank you for the history lesson gentlemen, but as I pointed out in my original post, I'm NOT interested in either Ford or Chevrolet.

Regarding all of these videos, electric windows, sensors, etc. - all fine and good, and yes I'm sure they make life/driving more comfortable, but I think this stuff isn't even in my Top 4 requirements. These are:

1) fuel efficiency (I assume that most of the vehicles in a similar category have very similar fuel consumption rates),

2) reliability (I think we can all agree that, all of the main manufacturers mentioned already in this thread fall into this category),

3) safety (probably all very similar in terms of safety standards) and

4) after sales service.

Edited by djayz

I had a Toyota Vigo 4x4, 4 door, top model for 8 years & about 170,000 km. It was very reliable and only had a few minor issues. Looked new when I sold it to family. With 4x4, automatic, 3.0 liter engine and 4 door, fuel economy was just average. Resale value was very good. I think Toyota has the most service centers of any brand, and we found the service to be good, although it will vary with dealer.

I replaced it last summer with a new Ford Wildtrak 3.2 liter/5 cylinder/6 speed auto/4x4/4 door top model. Not as many dealers, but our new dealer is good. More power than the Vigo,AND fuel mileage is about 10% better! (But not the economy you need driving 150 km/day.) Ride is a little rougher than the Vigo, but handling is much better. Roomier inside. Great front seats.

Why did I buy it? Great performance, 6 airbags and a 5 star crash test rating! Oh, and 80 cm fording depth for you 2011 flood veterans.

Keep in mind that if you buy a Mazda BT-50, you are getting a Mazda body on a Ford chassis with Ford running gear. Also note that other than the very top models, Mazda and Ford come with a 2.2 liter diesel that has a surprising amount of power, and should yield superior fuel economy due to small displacement, especially if you go with 2 wheel drive and manual shift 6 speed.

Good luck!

I have to hand it to someone who has 'converted' from the tired old Weego mantra. I had a new one on a long-term rental (is 80,000 km enough to judge?) and eventually bought the 2.2 Ranger T6 in 2011. I recently upped to the 3.2 Wildtrak model and would say that your comparison between your previous Vigo and the Wildtrak are on par with my experiences within the Ranger marque. My wife says the 2.2 was smoother and quieter than the 5-pot Wildtrak and I agree. She also claims it uses less fuel but she does mostly local, low-kilometer runs and I haven't done a cross-country thrash yet. I reckoned the 2.2 had plenty power (assessed over 60,000 km city and highway) but the 3.2 has that extra punch which would be best for any regular, heavy load carrying or towing.

Based on my sales, service and driving experience, the 2.2 Ranger with extended cab would be my recommendation for the OP as he already has a sedan so extra cab would be overkill (and more expensive) but would afford him a longer cargo bed.

Unfortunately, the OP has a dislike of 'American' cars which is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the global nature of car manufacturing these days. In this assessment, he would be ruling out two very attractive and capable vehicle choices in the Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT-50.

For the same reason I'm not interested in chicks with dicks, tea, hamburgers, milk in my coffee or Irish stew...

I simply don't like 'em.

For the same reason I'm not interested in chicks with dicks, tea, hamburgers, milk in my coffee or Irish stew...

I simply don't like 'em.

Not interested in chicks with Dickson but do like a good Irish stew.

I'm afraid I have to eat some humble pie... today I saw a Ford Ranger (don't know the exact model) but it was a head turner. I've just checked out the Ford Thailand website and am at least willing to go to a Ford dealer and look around...

Its ok now go to the Chevy dealer also. Shop around you will see many different prices for trucks. One thing, is that all models are different in terms of discounts. For example a 4wd 4door might have a higher discount than a 2 door. It all depends on the manufacture, and model of truck. Ask what discounts are available. My Chevy drives like a Cadillac, has leather interior and every other option a vehicle can get, in fact it has more options than any other manufacturer and it was cheaper than all the others. Have fun with the shopping. Dont get locked into a manufacturer, let the vehicles and packages sell themselves.