Which pick up do you recommend?

Unfortunately I've arrived at a point where I really should buy a pick up. I travel approx. 150 km/day on a bike plus I need to buy supplies for the house (DIY) and garden, so a pick up sounds like a practical solution.

The range of pick ups to choose from is mind boggling...

I can drive and have a full, clean European driver's license (yes, I know I need a Thai driver's license to drive here. That'll be taken care of soon).

I was wondering:

1) what pick up you drive,

2) why you picked that particular vehicle,

3) how satisfied are you with it and

4) what's the km/litre stats?

At an average of 150km/day, I need to keep the fuel consumption in mind.

I don't plan on transporting material regularly, just some supplies and surplus veggies. I'd like a 4WD, but know I'll very seldom, if ever, need it.

Based purely on optics, the Mitsubishi Triton Single Cab appeals to me the most as does the smaller Isuzu. Optically speaking, Toyota doesn't appeal to me but if the fuel consumption is good, that would put it back on my "wish list".

I'm only interested in a reliable brand and am not interested in the likes of TATA, KIA, etc. They may very well be good vehicles, but I'd rather pay the extra 100,000 or so Baht and have a good brand name. I've narrowed my search down to Mitsubishi, Isuzu and eventually Mazda.

Am not interested in Ford or Chev.

Any recommendations - especially re fuel consumption?

I'm sure I'll continue to use the bike for most of the year, but the added comfort of a pick up would be good in the rainy season.

Budget: 500,000 to max. 700,000 Baht (down payment plus rates) spread out over 3 to 5 years).

Thank you.

Edited by djayz

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fuel consumption varies a lot with driving style and pick up specs. E.G. 4 door cabs, Auto and 4WD all suck more fuel.

The Australian fuel tests results are a good guide for fuel consumption comparison because the vehicles are all tested to a common standard.

See http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Home.aspx

There are results for diesel pickup models very similar to the Thai market with the exception of the smaller engine options. The combined urban / extra urban results are not too far from real world values.

Isuzu have a reputation for good fuel consumption. The previous model Dmax did give slightly better fuel consumption than it's direct competitors in Australian tests and also in my experience with 3.0L Automatic versions.

However the pickups are now going through a major model change, with some getting new engines that offer better fuel consumption.

Isuzu upgrades to the engine in their new model were minimal and the new Mitsubishi Triton now has better test results.

The new Hilux apparently will use different engines so these will probably offer better fuel consumption than the current engines.

Isuzu are supposed to introduce their new twin turbo engine in the future. This may get them back to the top?

Fuel consumption varies a lot with driving style and pick up specs. E.G. 4 door cabs, Auto and 4WD all suck more fuel.

The Australian fuel tests results are a good guide for fuel consumption comparison because the vehicles are all tested to a common standard.

See http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Home.aspx

There are results for diesel pickup models very similar to the Thai market with the exception of the smaller engine options. The combined urban / extra urban results are not too far from real world values.

Isuzu have a reputation for good fuel consumption. The previous model Dmax did give slightly better fuel consumption than it's direct competitors in Australian tests and also in my experience with 3.0L Automatic versions.

However the pickups are now going through a major model change, with some getting new engines that offer better fuel consumption.

Isuzu upgrades to the engine in their new model were minimal and the new Mitsubishi Triton now has better test results.

The new Hilux apparently will use different engines so these will probably offer better fuel consumption than the current engines.

Isuzu are supposed to introduce their new twin turbo engine in the future. This may get them back to the top?

Thank ypu. Some good advice and a useful link. Ta!

I will get feeeeeeeeeeeerked if I post my opinion...........But I will.................You want long time reliability....Toyota.

You change your ride every 1-2 years...Anything................gigglem.gif

Good point. I know Toyota has been proven to be one of, if not THE most, reliable vehicles currently on the road but then again the likes of Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Nissan, Mazda (to name but a few) also have excellent reputations.

No, I have no intentions of changing every 2 - 3 years.

TA!

Had 3 x D-Max SpaceCab all SLX, and present pickup BT50 Hi Racer + have looked at then all, and will do again when comes time to change [not so long now as change around 400,000 KM]

Never had a problem with any of them + 400,000 KM on each when sold. as for fuel consumption all diesel + manual + have been about the same 13.6 km per liter mixed driving, maybe the old 2003 model was a bit more.. + almost all the time have stuff in the back, have a canopy, at this moment have a back axle, 4 x big truck brake callipers, big truck steering rake + a few other car and truck parts

what is best ? no idea what feels best to drive.... on paper anyway the new Nissan beats the rest, but then the new Mitsubishi Mega cab on paper is just as good... don't like Toyota but will the all new Vigo beat the lot of them ?? the D-Max had both ABS and Airbags, the Mazda has not got Airbags, but at the time was far better to drive.. the D-Max hold there value better than Mazda after 3 - 4 years and 400,000 KM..

What will be my next pickup ? will do the rounds and test drive them all at the time and buy the one that feels best and right for us. also service parts plays a factor [eg: filters for a Vigo cost 3 - 4 x more than the Isuzu, Mazda and Ford] when your having a service every 6 weeks would add up over 3 - 4 years.

I had a Dmax for a decade almost 450,000km. Flawless apart from normal wear and tear consumables.

Just changed it for a 3.2 BT50. Hoping for the same. :) fingers crossed. Shop around. Its a buyers market. I got our BT50 for well under your max price budget and its the top of the range 4x4 model. Shop around.

If buying second hand & your not mechanically minded yourself, get someone to look over it for you first. If its less than 3 years old dealer will transfer the warranty usually (did in our case - 18months) - if new most come with a minimum of 3 year or 100,000km warranty.

Ford Wildtrak, or if you need a lot of space, Nissan Navara. Toyota looks boring to me.

The new Vigo will be in the showrooms by the end of this month -- finally! Don't form an opinion until you have seen it and hopefully driven it, but in Thailand, until you own it, the latter is difficult at least. The new Mitsu looks great. We have the 2014 model and it is a great truck to drive -- very happy with it, great value. Never have checked the fuel economy, but for a 4 door automatic it seems ok, but it may not be as fuel efficient as a 2 door manual. And driving habits will, I think, be a more important influence on fuel economy in any event. The reality is that all of the Japanese trucks are great and you really can't go wrong, except perhaps paying a bit more for a comparably equipped/sized truck by choosing one brand over another. The Toyota may well be the most expensive option on a pound-for-pound, option-for-option basis, but it may be very good on cost of ownership when you consider its generally higher resale value. I like the looks of the Mazda, but I would only consider the Toyota or Mitsu, as IMO the 2 best of the available options/choices. And I wouldn't touch the American junk yard candidates (Ford/Chevy) at any price. And, as for Isuzu, who would want to have a farm vehicle in their driveway, unless, of course, you own cows and pigs.....

I will get feeeeeeeeeeeerked if I post my opinion...........But I will.................You want long time reliability....Toyota.

Agree with trans, we had our 4 door vigo D4D for over 7 years, ran reliably for over 240k km when we sold it,,

no mechanical or electrical problems throughout,,,,,, with the minor exception of when our adorable golden retriever chewed through every cable within view beneath the car

Agree with trans, we had our 4 door vigo D4D for over 7 years, ran reliably for over 240k km when we sold it,,

no mechanical or electrical problems throughout,,,,,, with the minor exception of when our adorable golden retriever chewed through every cable within view beneath the car

I do not think that the present genre of trucks are/will be as reliable as the past ones, regardless of the manufacturer, especially as far as electrical equipment is concerned. There is much more electrical "stuff" in a truck today that will get jolted and bounced around, especially on Thailand heavily potholed roads. That is a lot of beating for the sophisticated electronics to take and problems will arise as a result. Our 1 year old Triton just had the video screen go out -- it started flashing "interruption" continually. Took it to the dealer who took out the screen assembly and will send it to BKK for repair. We now have a hole in the dash for a week or 2. Not a big deal, as the truck drives without any problems (no backup camera now), but I think you need to expect problems like this regardless of the manufacturer. I doubt that Toyota will be any better on the frequency of these kinds of problems than the other truck manufacturers.

I do not think that the present genre of trucks are/will be as reliable as the past ones, regardless of the manufacturer, especially as far as electrical equipment is concerned. There is much more electrical "stuff" in a truck today that will get jolted and bounced around, especially on Thailand heavily potholed roads. That is a lot of beating for the sophisticated electronics to take and problems will arise as a result. Our 1 year old Triton just had the video screen go out -- it started flashing "interruption" continually. Took it to the dealer who took out the screen assembly and will send it to BKK for repair. We now have a hole in the dash for a week or 2. Not a big deal, as the truck drives without any problems (no backup camera now), but I think you need to expect problems like this regardless of the manufacturer. I doubt that Toyota will be any better on the frequency of these kinds of problems than the other truck manufacturers.

I'm curious. I have the same model Triton and want to get a reverse camera fitted so it can be seen on the GPS screen. Does the camera automatically show on screen as soon as reverse is engaged, and was the installation of the camera done without any tampering behind the dash?

The German Beer Bar on Soi 7.

Prost! But you know, you shouldn't drink and post sh*t on forums drive, when under the influence of alcohol.

This is about pickups (a small truck with an open rear cargo enclosure) not about picking up a hooker.

Have fun.

First off the Isuzu and the Chevy are the same truck with different chrome. The Isuzu will run forever with regular maintenance. Consider a used at a better price. I have a Highlander Cab4, 2005 , 140km, for sale 300k baht. PM if interested, Ubon area.

I purchased the Mazda BT-50 Eclipse last February and to date I am very happy with it. Big decision for me as I have been a Toyota driver in the UK for 20+ years (All RAV4's) but in Pattaya, Toyota sales people didn't appear to care whether they sold me a car or not whereas the Mazda sales people were very helpful, PLUS in February Mazda were offering some good discounts and a fair "freebie" package.

Fuel consumption is averaging 11.8km/litre, but that is 50/50 distance and Pattaya (which has been / is a nightmare for congestion) driving.

I'm curious. I have the same model Triton and want to get a reverse camera fitted so it can be seen on the GPS screen. Does the camera automatically show on screen as soon as reverse is engaged, and was the installation of the camera done without any tampering behind the dash?

The camera goes on automatically when the truck is put in reverse. I did not watch the installation of the camera (Boy Auto Sound did it; B2500 as I recall), but I do not believe that much work, if any, was done behind the dash. But, obviously, it did require connecting to the screen (I think it was connected from under the truck, but not sure). It works great, very clear picture and really helps with backing up, especially with the Carry Boy box that extends a bit higher than the bottom of the rear window.

The camera goes on automatically when the truck is put in reverse. I did not watch the installation of the camera (Boy Auto Sound did it; B2500 as I recall), but I do not believe that much work, if any, was done behind the dash. But, obviously, it did require connecting to the screen (I think it was connected from under the truck, but not sure). It works great, very clear picture and really helps with backing up, especially with the Carry Boy box that extends a bit higher than the bottom of the rear window.

I got the Alpha SC-R full box that does cut into rear visibility considerably. I did have rear sensors installed but that's not enough. I believe the last time I went to Boy Sound (6 months ago) they quoted me around 3500 baht to install a rear camera that connects to my existing screen.

'

You should buy the new Toyota Hilux Revo thats out on the 21st of this month.

1) what pick up you drive, Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0G 4x4

2) why you picked that particular vehicle, 100,000 baht rebate back in 2012, and Toyota is the best in Thailand.

3) how satisfied are you with it and 100% satisfied and is nearly 3 years old with 50,000km on it

4) what's the km/litre stats? 8.5km/l urban and 12km/l highway

Here is a new twist. When I came here, I bought a used Toyota to haul building materials around. While buying my new Ford Ranger a few years back, the salesman said to me "well, you won't have any problems with police". I didn't think much about this comment until I started getting waved through at all the police check points. never stopped again. Must be some behind the scenes reason for this.