Cheap trick by alleged South Asian conmen works in Lampang

Thaivisa News

African Grifters in Lampang!?

Crikey, what's next?

Geographically speaking, where do Africans come into this story?

South Asians are usually Indians, Sri Lankans or Bangladeshis .

And there are plenty of very dark skinned people in all those lands. Thailand too has its own dark hued population.

Sorry I did not read carefully enough. Next a man will approach people in Lampang saying "you have a lucky face".

I guess that a lot of transactions operate with an assumption of trust unless a person acts strangely. I'm pretty alert and have caught two attempts to shortchange me on thousand baht bills recently. The cashiers acted very smoothly and when I pointed out their mistake, looked confused and grabbed their calculators although the amount short was always in even hundreds. Of course, the hesitation and confusion makes it appear that they simply made a mistake. I always just treat it as a mistake but try to avoid the cashier for subsequent transactions.

Quote "Patcharee said she was busy and confused so she gave them a change of Bt910 and two left the shop immediately" cheesy.gif

"busy and confused" = more classic Thainess

Depending on how busy the shop was and how long she was working.. this is quite possible. Some people actually have to rush in their job and make mistakes.

I guess you never made a mistake in your life.

Probably never worked in their lives to make a mistake.

Someone gets cheated and the bashers immediately have a go at the one who has been cheated. Thai haters at their worst.

Yet without doubt is someone had mentioned walking out of the cake shop and being fiddled out of 910 baht you would have said it was their own fault.

Thai lovers at their worst.

Well you can get confused taking money from customers all the time and giving change. When I was very young they taught me to keep the bill the customer gave me in my hand whilst giving him the change. Because 1) he cannot claim he gave you a 1000 Bongo bill whilst actually it was a 500 and 2) putting the 1000 Bongo bill on the table is dangerous, he could take it back plus the change. (happens more often than you would think).

Having played the cash sales game for over 40 years now, it can still occur I get confused, there is many things happening at the same time, people asking questions, telephone ringing and so on.

So I don't think the pastry lady was stupid, if you have never worked in a busy retail sales situation yourself it might be more difficult to understand.

Sorry your customer is your number one priority. If he gives you money for a trade you serve him. All other distractions can wait until you finish dealing with your customer.

How many Africans are in Lampang do you think?

Not exactly crime of the century...but should no be too hard to find them.

Cake's gone, however.

Probably as many who are South Asians.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cake's gone, however.

Article stated that the couple came from South Asia. Africa is not there, it is in Africa

Well according to FIFA Australia is "South Asia" so the perpetrators could have been Aborigines

Edited by ExPratt

Well thank you so much to Thai Visa ......................another stunning breaking news exclusive from the No News Team!!

Guys, get your cvs off to Reuters immediately, your journalism is quite exceptional.

But these stories add flavour to TVF.

It can't be that bad, enough of us read it (including you).

Well you can get confused taking money from customers all the time and giving change. When I was very young they taught me to keep the bill the customer gave me in my hand whilst giving him the change. Because 1) he cannot claim he gave you a 1000 Bongo bill whilst actually it was a 500 and 2) putting the 1000 Bongo bill on the table is dangerous, he could take it back plus the change. (happens more often than you would think).

Having played the cash sales game for over 40 years now, it can still occur I get confused, there is many things happening at the same time, people asking questions, telephone ringing and so on.

So I don't think the pastry lady was stupid, if you have never worked in a busy retail sales situation yourself it might be more difficult to understand.

Sorry your customer is your number one priority. If he gives you money for a trade you serve him. All other distractions can wait until you finish dealing with your customer.

Theory is easier than practice. You're standing behind the hotel counter, taking payment from a customer, and simultaneously you have to tell him the tour bus will pick him up the next morning at 07.30. People come in who need a room, you tell them you have availability, but they should wait just a moment. But then a very upset guest walks in who has been badly stung by a jellyfish, you need to instruct the staff instantly to give her a baggie with vinegar and some cotton wool. Telephone rings, people want to make a booking, the least thing you have to do is tell them you'll call them back in a few minutes.

It is not like sitting in an office advising a guy about his retirement plan, seeing him off and leaning back till the next one comes. In a busy retail situation, if you don't give walk ins/telephone calls at least a bit of attention, they might take their business elsewhere. You cannot just finish dealing with the one customer and ignore everything else till you have time. And your multitasking skills are put even more to the test because in the process you continuously have to change languages.

Edited by keestha

Theory is easier than practice. You're standing behind the hotel counter, taking payment from a customer, and simultaneously you have to tell him the tour bus will pick him up the next morning at 07.30. People come in who need a room, you tell them you have availability, but they should wait just a moment. But then a very upset guest walks in who has been badly stung by a jellyfish, you need to instruct the staff instantly to give her a baggie with vinegar and some cotton wool. Telephone rings, people want to make a booking, the least thing you have to do is tell them you'll call them back in a few minutes.

It is not like sitting in an office advising a guy about his retirement plan, seeing him off and leaning back till the next one comes. In a busy retail situation, if you don't give walk ins/telephone calls at least a bit of attention, they might take their business elsewhere. You cannot just finish dealing with the one customer and ignore everything else till you have time. And your multitasking skills are put even more to the test because in the process you continuously have to change languages.

Sounds like an unruly bunch of people who use your hotel. If I came in and you were serving someone I would wait my time.

Have you thought about employing extra members of staff ? someone who works extensively on answering the phone would be a good place to start. A doctor for medical emergencies and someone to help you on the desk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree with you (from own experience), but that still doesn't make it a crime in my eyes, she gave out the money voluntarily.

Cake's gone, however.

About 4-5. 3 or 4 men and one really fat woman. Saw them last year when I was there for Songkran. No idea what they were doing there, found it very odd. Perhaps English teachers?

Obviously they may have since moved on and left town.

So what if they were "black"? What's that got to do with anything? bah.gif

A lot. This story is in the news because the perpetrators are foreigners. If you haven't already realised, Thailand is not a multicultural country and one can safely assume that all non-Asians are foreigners here.

And because non-Asian foreigners make up such a tiny proportion of the population here, this "crime" happened in an upcountry city with very few foreigners [Lampang] AND these foreigners committed a crime to boot, is the reason why it made the news.

Having said that, this kind of case probably would have still made the local news if it had been committed by a local, but by having been committed by foreigners, not least black foreigners who are much rarer than white foreigners indeed makes it newsworthy.

The only thing that is confusing is that apparently the "con men" were South Asian AND African?