Who Really Makes The Immigration Rules?

In a previous post I was told that a Non-Imm O M/Entry can be extended after being in Thailand 60 days and as far as I am aware this is correct - exept the immigration office I just visited tell me I have to wait until the visa is almost expired ie. almost a year (next year) and then apply to extend for another year. No amount of persuasion would make them alter this 'rule'. How do you tell someone in 'authority' like that, that you think they are wrong and you are right? I would really like to submit my application after the first 60 days which will be before the July change and therefore keep me on the 200,00 baht rule. Should I just go and try a different office or will they re-direct me back to my 'local' office. Where is the 'rule' written down regarding the requirements-perhaps I should show them a copy??

Secondly, regarding the aforesaid 200,000 baht. Can this be in my wife's account or do I have to have my own account? (We can prove the money is from overseas in any case). I have an ATM card to access her account but it is not a joint account.

Many Thanks

a Non-Imm O M/Entry can be extended after being in Thailand 60 days
If you already have a year extension, I do not think that you can extend it for 60 days. Perhaps the person who told you that thought that you did not have the one year extension as yet.
How do you tell someone in 'authority' like that, that you think they are wrong and you are right?

Answer - even if you are right, the answer is that it probably won't do you any good if the official sees it differently. In such a case you would need a third party to help - but be 1000% certain you are correct, and be very,very humble about it

As I see it there should be no problem anyway, because if you are on a one year now, you should be grandfathered for the 200K because you are already here on a one year with under the 200K rule. Am I missing something? If do, calling Dr. PP!!

Where to deposit the money? Keep in mind that you are dealing with bureaucracy here. If you make things more complex than need be or more complex than the routine that the Immigration people like, you are just looking for a hassle. Put it in your own name. The same thing applies to "perhaps I should show them a copy??". You will be considered rude and arrogant. Being rude is just going to make your visa experience miserable, being arrogant is a right reserved for officials.

Follow the rules to the letter, it's much more enjoyable. And if for some reason you cannot, get an intermediary (3rd party) who is willing to help explain the matter in a way that the officials will find acceptable.

In a previous post I was told that a Non-Imm O M/Entry can be extended after being in Thailand 60 days and as far as I am aware this is correct - exept the immigration office I just visited tell me I have to wait until the visa is almost expired ie. almost a year (next year) and then apply to extend for another year. No amount of persuasion would make them alter this 'rule'. How do you tell someone in 'authority' like that, that you think they are wrong and you are right? I would really like to submit my application after the first 60 days which will be before the July change and therefore keep me on the 200,00 baht rule. Should I just go and try a different office or will they re-direct me back to my 'local' office. Where is the 'rule' written down regarding the requirements-perhaps I should show them a copy??

Secondly, regarding the aforesaid 200,000 baht. Can this be in my wife's account or do I have to have my own account? (We can prove the money is from overseas in any case). I have an ATM card to access her account but it is not a joint account.

Many Thanks

What is your present visa status ? Is it a one year extended O visa based on marriage ?

A joint account is OK but an account in your wife's name will not satisfy the Department's requirement.

My current status as per your request Dr.PP is that I have arrived here earlier this month with a multiple entry Non - Imm O visa based on marriage to a Thai. as stated in the post I would like to apply for the year extension as early as possible - and hopefully before July, but as said in the post I was 'advised' to come back next year when the year is nearly up (having had to do 3 re-entries) and then they will 'let' me apply for a further year. The office I visited was in udonthani - are they correct or am I able to do it after the first 60 days of my stay ? I am not anywhere near 50, and do not have/want a WP

Many Thanks

Udox -

Forget the "60 days". Also, forget about the "visa". Neither the amount of days you have been here, nor the nature of your visa have any bearing on extensions.

The rule is: "To submit an application for extension of a non-immigrant entry permit, you must be within 30 days of expiration of your present entry permit." Period.

As far as I know, when you enter Thailand, Immigration officers at border crossings/airport cannot issue you an initial entry permit longer than 90 days (there is an exception for Class O-A retirement visas) . So - for the vast majority of people, once the have been here for 60 days, they become eligible to apply for an extension.

It sounds to me as if you have a 90 day entry permit, and you should be able to apply for an extension. But - if you somehow got a one-year entry permit from the start, then you are stuck.

Take care in use of the terms "visa" and "entry permit". They are not the same. Renewal of a "visa" can only occur when present visa expires - and this can only be done outside Thailand by a diplomatic post of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Renewal of an "entry permit" occurs inside Thailand, at an Immigration office, when your present entry permit is within 30 days of expiration.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

As far as I know, when you enter Thailand, Immigration officers at border crossings/airport cannot issue you an initial entry permit longer than 90 days (there is an exception for Class O-A retirement visas)

and the exception of course with an entry stamp where the expiration date is handwritten in or a date stamp is spun to match the expiration of a valid re entry permit. but i think you knew that indo and were refering to someone without a one year extension.

My current status as per your request Dr.PP is that I have arrived here earlier this month with a multiple entry Non - Imm O visa based on marriage to a Thai. as stated in the post I would like to apply for the year extension as early as possible - and hopefully before July, but as said in the post I was 'advised' to come back next year when the year is nearly up (having had to do 3 re-entries) and then they will 'let' me apply for a further year. The office I visited was in udonthani - are they correct or am I able to do it after the first 60 days of my stay ? I am not anywhere near 50, and do not have/want a WP

Many Thanks

What Indo has told you is spot on. There is no reason at all for the Immigration officer not to begin the extension process now. But pushing him may be a bit on the difficult side. Look for another officer or another Immigration office.

Thank you for your comments and clarifications. I will apply to extend my 'entry permit' during the last 30 days of my current 90 day permit (my first one, having just arrived here a few weeks ago). This will be late next month and fingers crossed they will be gentle with me. The female immigration officer who I saw before (on my first visit to their office) looked like she could reduce grown men to tears - in fact she probrably has done in the past! I guess this is why it makes life here so 'interesting' and also why this forum is so busy. I, like many others really appreciate the time that some of you folks spend patiently answering all our questions, some of them time and time again. Thank You.

Thank you for your comments and clarifications. I will apply to extend my 'entry permit' during the last 30 days of my current 90 day permit (my first one, having just arrived here a few weeks ago). This will be late next month and fingers crossed they will be gentle with me. The female immigration officer who I saw before (on my first visit to their office) looked like she could reduce grown men to tears - in fact she probrably has done in the past! I guess this is why it makes life here so 'interesting' and also why this forum is so busy. I, like many others really appreciate the time that some of you folks spend patiently answering all our questions, some of them time and time again. Thank You.

My oft quoted line remains true ... The rules are that there are no rules T i T :o GOOD LUCK