My Last Long Distance Trip On A Train From Isaan To The Capital...

lostinisaan

Yeah, but going third class only costs 70 Baht, right? 2 hours late is normal.

All i could get was a sleeper with fan.

But i'd assume that also the first class air conditioned wagons will be affected, when the locomotive breaks down.

Why did you even bother writing this 70 baht nonsense. Do you see it as a good joke, or are you the joke? Whatever.

Oh dear, we are in a bad mood, aren't we? First class, you freeze all night, out of the question for me. I take third class from Buriram, take cushions, secret beer and food with me and pay 67 Baht, That is to say if I don't drive myself. I don't care what happens to people in first class, apart from wondering why they pay the extra for being cold and suffering the same tardiness as we peasants do.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C&Fin=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E&IdTrain=234&NFee=%E0%B8%98%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B2&Ori=Buri%20Ram&Dep=Bangkok&lenguage=eng

You don't take this transport if you expect to arrive on time. (Edit) or if you expect Swiss style service, I lived there for 40 years and rarely experienced a late train.

Unlike you, I don't freeze at 21 degrees. so I take first class. When the train breaks down, I hire a car to take me the rest of the way instead of waiting with the peasants. I consider my time valuable.

I doubt that you'd have had a chance to find a car, where the locomotive said goodbye.It was in the middle of nowhere.

You do consider your time valuable, which was the reason why i started this one.

But your sentence "waiting with the peasants" makes you to an arrogant i don't know what........ You're free to choose.

We peasants might know much better ways how to spend our time and I'm sure we're smiling more often than you do.

Ignorance and arrogance are a deadly mixture. You should be ashamed to write such a statement..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the train from Beijing to moscow once. took 5 and a half days. dont think it broke down, it is just a long way!!

now, i am very glad i didnt have to share a carriage with the OP, as he sounds like a right misery :)

You can easily get 10 cans in your bag and a thermos flask of ice. Passes the time and helps you sleep. The personnel of trains and buses really don't care as long as you don't get blatant about it.

Comments about buses: NCA rarely has accidents, they are a tad dearer than Somchai's Royal Bus Service. Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

​ Please let us know where you get your medical THC from. Must be pretty strong, roughly speaking.

Or are you the guy who's always traveling with his giraffe? Then it's okay. gigglem.gif

Nice post. You are not allowed to take animals on air conditioned carriages. ok?

You can easily get 10 cans in your bag and a thermos flask of ice. Passes the time and helps you sleep. The personnel of trains and buses really don't care as long as you don't get blatant about it.

Comments about buses: NCA rarely has accidents, they are a tad dearer than Somchai's Royal Bus Service. Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

​ Please let us know where you get your medical THC from. Must be pretty strong, roughly speaking.

Or are you the guy who's always traveling with his giraffe? Then it's okay. gigglem.gif

Nice post. You are not allowed to take animals on air conditioned carriages. ok?

But there's always a solution......

post-158336-0-76784700-1431356333_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

cooked said,

“Oh dear, we are in a bad mood, aren't we? First class, you freeze all night, out of the question for me. I take third class from Buriram, take cushions, secret beer and food with me and pay 67 Baht, That is to say if I don't drive myself. I don't care what happens to people in first class, apart from wondering why they pay the extra for being cold and suffering the same tardiness as we peasants do.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C&Fin=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E&IdTrain=234&NFee=%E0%B8%98%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B2&Ori=Buri%20Ram&Dep=Bangkok&lenguage=eng

You don't take this transport if you expect to arrive on time. (Edit) or if you expect Swiss style service, I lived there for 40 years and rarely experienced a late train.

smotherb said,

“Unlike you, I don't freeze at 21 degrees. so I take first class. When the train breaks down, I hire a car to take me the rest of the way instead of waiting with the peasants. I consider my time valuable.”

lostinisaan said,

I doubt that you'd have had a chance to find a car, where the locomotive said goodbye.It was in the middle of nowhere.

You do consider your time valuable, which was the reason why i started this one.

But your sentence "waiting with the peasants" makes you to an arrogant i don't know what........ You're free to choose.

We peasants might know much better ways how to spend our time and I'm sure we're smiling more often than you do.

Ignorance and arrogance are a deadly mixture. You should be ashamed to write such a statement.. “

smotherb said,

“The word "peasant" bothers you? I simply used the term for those who take 3rd class that cooked—the person to whom I responded--used. Perhaps I should have added your word, "ignorance."

Oh, and I do have a phone to help me find a car.”

Took the train 10 times during last year, mostly bkk-surat thani and st-penang. I am just waiting for the train in the station at the moment. Bored in surat thani station like a fat kid with a plate of carrots.

They are gonna sell beer in the train when you are 1st class, they gonna come whisper if you want some :) Good cause you have the little sink you can pee in at 1st class, dont have to go 20 times to the bathroom.

Also smoking in the bathroom of 2nd class is pretty standard, not so much in the 1st class carriage.

Edited by cordaci

DEEP AFFECTION

After more than 20 years in Thailand, over a period of more than 30 years, I developed a deep affection for Thai Railways. There is nothing more pleasant than sitting in the dining car, getting an intimate view of the countryside, enjoying beer or whisky with delicious spicy hor d'ouevres, meeting interesting people (I speak reasonable Thai), and thereafter having a comfortable bed for the night. I considered this the ultimate way to travel, particularly going south from Hua Hin. However, in recent years the experience has been less enjoyable due to bad maintenance. For example the clapped out diesel engines powering the coaches aircon, etc, belching toxic fumes which enter the coaches (especially aircon) when the train stands in a station.

Worse still, about one year ago a female passenger was raped and murdered by some retard railway employee who should never have been hired (MANAGEMENT INCOMPETENCE ) So what does this stupid management do......they implement a total alcohol ban on the trains.

WHY SHOULD CUSTOMERS HAVE TO SUFFER BECAUSE OF MANAGEMENT INCOMPETENCE????

If I ever meet the idiot responsible for this moronic decision I will personally castrate him!

Did that! The railway employee said "you can't leave that lion there" Isaid " Thats no Lion , Thats a Giraffe"

Sorry jimmysjo. I must have overlook your post and so repait what you write sabout the wagon dieselengine.

Every aircon passanger car do have it's own diesel engine who drives a generator that gives electrical power to drive the cars A/C. A problem here in Thailand that all the trains are pulled by a diesel locomotive.

Never a problem where the trains have mainly electrical driven locomotives. As long as the loco is connected to the train it will get power from the overhead electrical line.

Edited by jimmysjo

I travelled by luxury bus from Surat Thani to Hua Hin. Soooooo slow and uncomfortable.

We returned by train. So fast and soooooo comfortable.

Never a long trip again by bus if there is a train alternative.

It sounds like the OP has had some unfortunate bad luck with 2 for 2 breakdowns.

It was the hordes of cockroaches in my sleeper that did it for me. I tried laying down until I felt one on my lip. Didn't sleep for the duration to CM.

It might make a big difference if the railroads were taken away from being run by the government. The government employees don't want changes. Their jobs might be termed redundant. Also the whole government department would be redundant if it became privately run.The privately run BTS is good.

Took the train 10 times during last year, mostly bkk-surat thani and st-penang. I am just waiting for the train in the station at the moment. Bored in surat thani station like a fat kid with a plate of carrots.

They are gonna sell beer in the train when you are 1st class, they gonna come whisper if you want some smile.png Good cause you have the little sink you can pee in at 1st class, dont have to go 20 times to the bathroom.

Also smoking in the bathroom of 2nd class is pretty standard, not so much in the 1st class carriage.

You should order a bucket of ice. The bucket comes in handy later on.

cooked said,

“Oh dear, we are in a bad mood, aren't we? First class, you freeze all night, out of the question for me. I take third class from Buriram, take cushions, secret beer and food with me and pay 67 Baht, That is to say if I don't drive myself. I don't care what happens to people in first class, apart from wondering why they pay the extra for being cold and suffering the same tardiness as we peasants do.

smotherb said,

“Unlike you, I don't freeze at 21 degrees. so I take first class. When the train breaks down, I hire a car to take me the rest of the way instead of waiting with the peasants. I consider my time valuable.”

lostinisaan said,

Ignorance and arrogance are a deadly mixture. You should be ashamed to write such a statement.. “

smotherb said,

“The word "peasant" bothers you? I simply used the term for those who take 3rd class that cooked—the person to whom I responded--used. Perhaps I should have added your word, "ignorance."

Yes, Sir. The word "peasant" in this context and the way you put it on the table did bother me. It seems that you're using the formal version of this word.

So what would you think, if I'd call you a "peasant", using informal speech? (an ignorant, rude, or unsophisticated person; a person of low social status) Of course would I never do so.

But congratulations to your phone that would enable you to call aeehh.. we're in the middle of nowhere.

But your phone of course would send the GPS coordinates to the next taxi company a hundred miles away and you'd wait longer for a taxi than the ordinary folks had to wait for the locomotive.

I don't believe that I'm a better person than my father in law, just because I have more money and maybe had a better education as well. But I'd not call them peasants. G'Day, Eminence. wai2.gif

I have been taking the train to/from Nong Khai for over four years. It used to be late all the time. If you were lucky it was only two hours late but I have been up to six hours late. Lately they have been on time or just a little bit late (less than 30 minutes). Used to take the second class non air conditioned. The aircon cars are usually freezing. Lately have been going first class and shutting off the aircon vents.

I never depend on arriving on time. If I am going to BKK to catch a flight I always stay overnight in BKK. Don't need to worry about being late.

For me a big advantage of train is not restricted on luggage.

I have been taking the train to/from Nong Khai for over four years. It used to be late all the time. If you were lucky it was only two hours late but I have been up to six hours late. Lately they have been on time or just a little bit late (less than 30 minutes). Used to take the second class non air conditioned. The aircon cars are usually freezing. Lately have been going first class and shutting off the aircon vents.

I never depend on arriving on time. If I am going to BKK to catch a flight I always stay overnight in BKK. Don't need to worry about being late.

For me a big advantage of train is not restricted on luggage.

Thats what I call traveling in THA. Many of us still compere with our western habitudes.

Yes, between the Thai people in 2 class fan = you wonder how pleasent and helpfull they are. YOU LEARN A LOT.

You took a 70 Baht train in a third world country, from one side of the country to the other, and you're moaning about the train breaking down and being late, yet you're happy to pay more than that for each can of beer in your bag. Boy, your wife's moobaan must think you're a great catch cheesy.gif

Spend less on beer, get a plane ticket, or a first class coach ticket, and stop moaning.

cooked said,

smotherb said,

lostinisaan said,

smotherb said,

Yes, Sir. The word "peasant" in this context and the way you put it on the table did bother me. It seems that you're using the formal version of this word.

So what would you think, if I'd call you a "peasant", using informal speech? (an ignorant, rude, or unsophisticated person; a person of low social status) Of course would I never do so.

But congratulations to your phone that would enable you to call aeehh.. we're in the middle of nowhere.

But your phone of course would send the GPS coordinates to the next taxi company a hundred miles away and you'd wait longer for a taxi than the ordinary folks had to wait for the locomotive.

I don't believe that I'm a better person than my father in law, just because I have more money and maybe had a better education as well. But I'd not call them peasants. G'Day, Eminence. wai2.gif

It's good to see you are showing proper respect to your superiors.

cooked said,

smotherb said,

lostinisaan said,

smotherb said,

It's good to see you are showing proper respect to your superiors.

"The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive"

Pattaya - Bangkok - 31 baht

Bangkok - Ayutthaya - 15 baht

Bangkok - Chiang Mai - 270 Baht

Pattaya - Si Racha - 5 baht

Welcome to real Thailand with real prices!

God bless you all viewers!

Mister Farang Jaidee x

Pattaya - Bangkok - 31 baht

Bangkok - Ayutthaya - 15 baht

Bangkok - Chiang Mai - 270 Baht

Pattaya - Si Racha - 5 baht

Welcome to real Thailand with real prices!

God bless you all viewers!

Mister Farang Jaidee x

I just don't understand how you can sit there with all the peasants. facepalm.gif