Moving to Koh Phangnan - Internet Providers and options.

So I have decided I am moving to Phangan from Chiang Mai. I earn my few bucks via the internet and so really do need to make a correct choice about which provider to get set up with.

In Chiang Mai I had TOT without any (or many at least) issues.

But after reading what I have found by googling it seems there are tonnes of complaints about them here on the Island.

Im going to be based in between Thong Sala and Ban Si Thanu (Just past One Love Bar and JJ,s) and I think Optic Fibre is available (very recently according to landlord).

Just hoping for some comments as to 3BB or TOT being the best provider to go for ?

Plus anyone with any experience of Optic Fibre or ADSL here in this area or on the island ?

Any comments very much appreciated.

Marcus

p.s. Im not after wi-fi. Must be cable (if 'cable' is the right way to term it). Its just I worry about the security concerns about being hacked whilst using wi-fi.

I stayed on Koh Phangan and used a DTAC dongle for my laptop.

The coverage on the islands is great (unless of course you're a trader/poker player and split seconds count).

Not too sure about cables though.

p.s. Im not after wi-fi. Must be cable (if 'cable' is the right way to term it). Its just I worry about the security concerns about being hacked whilst using wi-fi.

Not sure why you believe WiFi is any more vulnerable to attack than cable.

A sturdy base station will see you secure enough. Nothing is impervious to attack but be realistic, all the same.

Not sure why you believe WiFi is any more vulnerable to attack than cable.

A sturdy base station will see you secure enough. Nothing is impervious to attack but be realistic, all the same.

I have no proof whatsoever that wi-fi is more vulnerable to attack. Its just my suspicion. I have read, within the circles of people that do the type of work I do, of people being hacked. About 7 people in the last 7 years or so. I private messaged all of those people and asked was it wi - fi they were using and all of them stated 'yes'.

Though, of course, I concede this proves absolutely nowt ! The above and a few other stories I remember people telling me about wi-fi used hacks just have me feeling wary about it.

Our experience is Samui rather than Phangan but will be the same issues. It really depends on how reliant you are on internet. We tried 5 different service providers and none are god by the standards you would expect elsewhere. Some packet loss, occasional brief drop outs etc. Power supply experiences spikes, frequent drop outs and occasional power cuts. Basically most people would not even notice most of the issues if you are just accessing websites so it depends what you will be doing. We found a generator and UPS necessary to cope with most of the power issues (some cuts take out som of the provider infrastructure as well so nothing you can do). We also have at last 2 services one cable or ADSL and the other a dongle so line problems will not interrupt both. By far the best service we have found is Bluechip. Expensive and not available many places but much more reliable than the others.

I am reliant on the net regards earning my wages but I can handle the odd power cut or dropped line. I lived in Pai up North for 3 years and that used to have many power cuts.

I guess the main thing I want is for it to be up and running 95% of the time and when it is to be of a fair speed. Then I can earn my few quid from week to week.

Today I went to the 3BB office in Thong Sala and asked about a optic fibre line. Apparently not available where I will be but they said I could have VDSL as opposed to ADSL. After googling these two it seems VDSL is a better deal (faster). Can anyone verify that for me ? Anything I need to be aware off regarding getting VDSL ?

(Im probably over stating things asking these questions, its just the thought of moving down here and THEN getting the most crap internet connection is a worry for my mind hence trying my best to straighten everything out as much as possible pre the move).

All the above answers are appreciated.

Edited by marcusmarsh

You may need to ask some of your neighbours about their experiences.... I can't place exactly where you are... Usually they will put in FO lines at so much per metre.... I am not sure how advanced KP is these days!

Perhaps go talk to the guy who owns Fellini's Italian restaurant.... AKA as Auguid, one of our "Mods"... (hope OK to say that whistling.gif ?).... and see what he says...

On Samui I find 3 BB excellent thumbsup.gif

But Bluechipit, that Tropicalevo mentioned has very good service on Samui, PM me or Tropo, for contact info, I am not sure if he services KP ???

I think the hacking issue should be covered by good Antivirus, and password on wifi network ?

I think TOT has fibre optic in my area but 3BB does not. So think its come down to

3BB - VDSL

or

TOT Fibre optic

and think I am edging towards 3BB VDSL just because the reports Ive had about TOT on the island dont seem very positive though maybe that would not be the case with Fibre Optic.

The reason I have narrowed it down to those two is because they are the only providers I have any info on in my area (from a few different sources at least).

On a slightly different note its a nice feeling to have decided im moving down here. I just need to get over the difference in monthly rent in my mind - 8,500 baht per month more expensive here - and move all my stuff down from Chiang Mai, get the internet up and running and THEN im sure the excitement will kick in. LOVE the air quality compared to CM. Cant get enough of it !

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Does anyone know of anybody on the island that has TOT fibre optic up and running currently ?

Any reports of how thats going ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regardless of the chosen ISP, check the condition of the phone line to your house.

Last km cable condition (poorly-repaired broken lines, messy connections, winding cables around coconut trees, over garbage fire spots and on/under dirt roads) is the main source of poor internet connection in KPG, and the local "linesmen" (aka clueless coconut farmers) will cut and mess up your line further on their valiant quest to find any intermittent problem(s).