Carrying Codeine into Thailand

daleyboy

OK

So i am coming over in July for 3 weeks, and i know that i need a medical form from the Thai drugs authority, but they are also askng for a certificate issued by the competent authority of the country of departure. Who exactly is this? is it my doctors?

Trying to decide if it will just be easier to go to the docs when i get there and get a prescription for the 3 weeks, or if i should try changing drugs for one that isnt on the list?

I was thinking the same, i can get a prescrition here in the UK for tramadol, and the drugs authourity dont require the forms to be filled in. Luckily Amitriptyline and naproxen arent on the list either.

I didn't know how easily i could get a thai doctor to prescribe me codeine, guess it would be quite difficult. I'm just glad I'm off the morphine now lol

Edited by daleyboy

I was thinking the same, i can get a prescrition here in the UK for tramadol, and the drugs authourity dont require the forms to be filled in. Luckily Amitriptyline and naproxen arent on the list either.

I didn't know how easily i could get a thai doctor to prescribe me codeine, guess it would be quite difficult. I'm just glad I'm off the morphine now lol

You do not need any prescription from UK to buy tramadol in Thailand . It's freely sold over the counter.

Thai doctor would prescribe it but you would need to prove your pain and no doubt go through some tests. So doable but I think tramadol easier

Mind you if coming from LHR you could probably go into Boots and buy a box of 32 Solpadeine, throw them in your bag and if questioned just say you asked the pharmacist at the airport for strong migraine tablets. I doubt you'd get in trouble, they'd probably just take them if found.

Keep them in the Boots plastic bag with the receipt, don't try to hide them.

Edited by uptheos

Mind you if coming from LHR you could probably go into Boots and buy a box of 32 Solpadeine, throw them in your bag and if questioned just say you asked the pharmacist at the airport for strong migraine tablets. I doubt you'd get in trouble, they'd probably just take them if found.

Keep them in the Boots plastic bag with the receipt, don't try to hide them.

I've done this many times with Nurofen Plus which is available over the counter in the UK. But it only contains a small amount of codeine so I can't believe it would cause a problem in Thailand.

Tramadol or Ultracet freely available over the counter.

Might be easier to use that, instead of going through a headache of bringing codeine

Tramadol used to be freely available over the counter from the pharmacist, but the last time I wanted some, my pharmacist said it had been shifted onto some restricted list and I was permitted only two strips with a photocopy of my passport identifying page. He also had to include a note on that photocopy of some extreme pain situation requiring Tramadol. Got it, but not as easily as last year.

There are pharmacies that sell codein... If you are really worried about bringing it in.. I have brought codein with me just in carry on. Letter from doctor no issues.

Sent from my c64

Some very incorrect and dangerous advice above. You can get into serious trouble bringing in codeine if you do not follow correct procedure, which is detailed here:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/guidance%20for%20travelers%20version%205._e956.pdf

Codeine is Category 2.

You can also find more info and FAQ at http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/faq.php#20120519115424

This includes a sample of the certificate and explanation of "competent authority".

If you have further questions contact the Thai FDA narcotics bureau [email protected]

Tramadol or Ultracet freely available over the counter.

Might be easier to use that, instead of going through a headache of bringing codeine

Not now it isn't. I have severe sciatic nerve injury which, when if flares up is 'go to the hospital time'. Tramidol sorta fixes the problem temporally. When I went to Fascino I was told I needed a doctors script. The pharmacist suggested Neoflex/Synflex (Naproxen sodium) 275mg. This stuff works great and without the after effects of codeine. Not expensive at about 80 baht for a strip of 6.

Some very incorrect and dangerous advice above. You can get into serious trouble bringing in codeine if you do not follow correct procedure, which is detailed here:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/guidance%20for%20travelers%20version%205._e956.pdf

Codeine is Category 2.

You can also find more info and FAQ at http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/faq.php#20120519115424

This includes a sample of the certificate and explanation of "competent authority".

If you have further questions contact the Thai FDA narcotics bureau [email protected]

Would that include things like Nurofen Plus, Solpadeine or Boots own brand paracetamol/codeine, all of which are available over the counter in the UK (12.8mg of codeine)?

True Story.coffee1.gif

I had broken a rib in a bike accident and had to go on a visa run to Kho Kong, Cambodia. The Mini Bus+Motorcycle rental was making it very painful to move let alone ride the cycle. Friend suggested to go to the Pharmacy that sold Codeine over the counter.

He also said don't worry about wearing the helmet it's Sunday and the cops usally don't work Sunday after drinking Satrurday night.

He also gave me a Wacky Tabbacy cigarette to ease the pain. I normaly would never do this but it really hurt and I pulled down a dirt road

on the way into the town center and got some relief. It did help a bit but the paranoia started to kick in and thats why I dont usually touch the stuff.

I get to the pharmacy with my note in Khmer but the pharmacist had passable English. I got the tablets that looked rather large and I asked how do I take these ? Pharmacist said "Take With Water"...OK I thought maybe I was to crush them up first ? So I take one and I have a warm Coke with me and assumed that would be just as good as water. I Pop a tablet in the mouth and take in some warm coke and try to swallow and start choke the pill is to dam big and now I'm foaming at the mouth I try some more coke and more foam coming out. I'm scared and choking and cop sees me and then motioning to pharmacist inside to come out and help. The pill has now dissolved and whats left coughed out.

I regain some of my compsoure and the pharmasist is asking If I am allergic to codeine in front of the Officer and my paranoia is in over drive

because I'm high,have no helmet,felt like I was going to die and the phamasist telling the cop he had just sold me Codeine.blink.png I explained to the Pharmasist that I did like he said except I used coke insteade of water but could not swallow the tablet because it was to big.....He had a good laugh and translated for the cop. I was suppose to DISSOLVE IT in Water first until it stopped fizzing then drink it !.......Moral of the Story....

Don't do drugs on a Sunday sitting on a motorcycle without a helmet in Cambodia while high.

Codeine is Category 2.

Would that include things like Nurofen Plus, Solpadeine or Boots own brand paracetamol/codeine, all of which are available over the counter in the UK (12.8mg of codeine)?

Yes. You have to follow the procedures for Category 2. You would certainly be in trouble if you were taking any Cat 2 substance (without the correct paperwork) and fell foul of a pee test such as those that have been the subject of much discussion on TV.

Codeine is Category 2.

Yes. You have to follow the procedures for Category 2. You would certainly be in trouble if you were taking any Cat 2 substance (without the correct paperwork) and fell foul of a pee test such as those that have been the subject of much discussion on TV.

Interesting. I would imagine there are hundreds of tourists holidaying here with over the counter drugs like Solpadeine and Nurofen Plus, maybe purchased at Boots at Heathrow, in their possession and in their bloodstream, with no idea what risks they are taking!

As others said, it makes no difference whether a drug is OTC in the UK or any other place. What matters in Thailand is itsclassification by the Thai FDA.

Codeine is OTC in Cambodia hence the report of a pharmacist giving it there.

Thanks for all the replies. I am off to see my doc next week and will get a prescription for ultracet. Just cant be bothered with the hassle of filling all the forms in to bring the codeine over