Monk dead and nine merit makers injured in road accident

Thaivisa News

Chainat: - A Buddhist monk died at the wheel when his car crashed into a van, injuring nine merit makers, at a local road in Sanburi district, police said.

Alerted about a road accident, Lieutenant Wichokchai Onlamai of Sanburi police station went to investigate the scene Sunday.

In his report, Wichokchai said Phra Boonlueu Chungsawatwattana, 54, was a monk at Wat Nongriratbumrung in Bang Rachan district, Sing Buri.

The monk drove his car to visit his family in Sanburi and was returning to his temple.

Witnesses said the monk's car suddenly veered off its lane and crashed into the van.

The monk died and rescue workers had to pry open the car wreckage in order to take his body out.

The check by rescue workers revealed that the monk had broken neck possibly caused by collision impact.

Nine van passengers, including the driver, were injured. They were rushed for treatment at Sanburi hospital. Three sustained serious injuries.

The accident happened about 10 kilometers from Wat Sraparian where the nine performed a merit-making ceremony of presenting the monk robe and donations.

The nine were travelling back to Bangkok following the ceremony.

The list of van passengers admitted at the hospital include driver Sithichok Pengchan.

The others are Somchai Wibulthammakorn, Nantha Wibulthammakorn, Chidapa Sae Bae, Pakorn Sae Bae, Posawee Sae Bae, Banchong Sae Bae, Issaraphap Sae Bae and Satit Silson.

Before the accident, the van was used as a transport vehicle for a kintergarden. Due to the weekend holiday, it was rented by merit makers to travel to Chainat.

Another example of the constant carnage on Thai roads.

As an aside, I was under the impression that monks were not allowed to drive or have personal wealth (his car). Can someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

sad to hear of yet another road tragedy.

the answer to your query is: this is thailand.

As an aside, I was under the impression that monks were not allowed to drive or have personal wealth (his car). Can someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

another answer:

they can't own Toyotas, but Mercs are exempt

I thought that having cars and such like are against the principles of buddhism or maybe i'm not totally in the know.

Either way would be interesting to know why the monk's car would be veering into the path of other vehicles..

Monk kills merit-makers in a 2-vehicle... What a tragic coincidence. Of course, there will probably be some members of other faiths that see this as the work of a jealous and vindictive God, but I hope we don't hear from them here.

The OP mentions that the vehicle was rented by the merit makers....and I'm not so sure that monks are not permitted to drive......(other that the fact that they are probably hopeless drivers......)!!

Chainat: - A Buddhist monk died at the wheel when his car crashed into a van, injuring nine merit makers, at a local road in Sanburi district, police said.

The monk drove his car to visit his family in Sanburi and was returning to his temple.

Witnesses said the monk's car suddenly veered off its lane and crashed into the van.

The monk died and rescue workers had to pry open the car wreckage in order to take his body out.

The check by rescue workers revealed that the monk had broken neck possibly caused by collision impact.

Maybe you read a different OP to me Chris?

The OP mentions that the vehicle was rented by the merit makers....and I'm not so sure that monks are not permitted to drive......(other that the fact that they are probably hopeless drivers......)!!

Well this one certainly was hopeless,you can't get more hopeless if you wind up dead.

"Either way would be interesting to know why the monk's car would be veering into the path of other vehicles.."

Hummm, let me take a really wild guess here. Perhaps due to a DRUNK MONK?

I doubt if he was drunk but he might of had a different habit.

A Buddhist monk died at the wheel when his car crashed into a van

His car? As pointed out already ... monks are not allowed personal wealth or possesions. I guess bad Karma caught up with him.

All you other Lois Vutton Bag carrying, Rayban sunglasses wearing, IPhone 6 playing, Beer drinking, jet-setting and womanising monks out there better get your acts together. Karma is coming!

wai2.gif

Edited by Fullstop

"Either way would be interesting to know why the monk's car would be veering into the path of other vehicles.."

2 very disrespful posts, your like a pair of old women chatting over the fence making shit up because you've got nothing else to do with your boring lives, just remember a man has lost his life!

2 very disrespful posts, your like a pair of old women chatting over the fence making shit up because you've got nothing else to do with your boring lives, just remember a man has lost his life!

Yes, he has lost his life. Why? Did someone shoot him? No. Did someone run over him? No. Did something fall on him? No. Did someone blow his car up? No.

No, he's dead from his own stupidity. Possibly drunk. Possibly high. But very definitely stupid. Besides, he wasn't a real monk, because they are not allowed to own property, and they are not allowed to drive cars. He was in violation of both of those practices. Som nom na.

I have seen monks in other countries who seem to flout that rule as well, Tibet comes to mind.

another answer:

they can't own Toyotas, but Mercs are exempt

I thought they could only own Rolls Royce of private planes

Maybe you read a different OP to me Chris?

I do not think he had a broken neck before the accident, however a wonderful piece of detective work to arrive at the conclusion.

He killed himself you idiot.

The important issue is what will become of the merit. Will it speed the recovery of the injured or perhaps lead to a better next life for the deceased monk? It won't just disappear, will it?

Idont know if you are wrong or right, but I have seen many a monk driving

He killed himself you idiot.

Please excuse me for being an idiot, I obviously misread the article because I couldn't see anything that said it was suicide, I thought it might of been possible that he had a heart attack, fell asleep at the wheel or some other reason, I didn't know he killed himself.

Monk kills merit-makers in a 2-vehicle... What a tragic coincidence. Of course, there will probably be some members of other faiths that see this as the work of a jealous and vindictive God, but I hope we don't hear from them here.

Well there is no god, this just falls under irony.....