Best Curries In Phuket?

jdinasia

There is an Indian restaurant on the way to Chalong Pier, to the right side, new driveway and shop houses. Very good chicken tikka and lemon chicken. Great biriani.

Sniper

I agree, if you like your chicken tikka masala made with canned tomato soup and you don't mind paying 99 Bt for a plate of plain rice.

Edited by Sir Burr

There is an Indian restaurant on the way to Chalong Pier, to the right side, new driveway and shop houses. Very good chicken tikka and lemon chicken. Great biriani.

Sniper

I agree, if you like your chicken tikka masala made with canned tomato soup and you don't mind paying 99 Bt for a plate of plain rice.

Everytime I have eaten there the food is freshly cooked. Since when is Indian food cheap?

Sniper

Plain rice was 59 baht, now 29 baht. I know Sir Burr doesn't like it - we've discussed it before - but I love the food there and try to make it at least every couple of weeks when I'm in town.

Sniper

Plain rice was 59 baht, now 29 baht. I know Sir Burr doesn't like it - we've discussed it before - but I love the food there and try to make it at least every couple of weeks when I'm in town.

It is xcellent food. But, alas, in forums such as this one, there are the complainers with few solutions or alternatives given.

It is xcellent food. But, alas, in forums such as this one, there are the complainers with few solutions or alternatives given.

Try using the search function and reading the thread about curries in Phuket before you make baseless accusations.

Now I know who the grumpy one is for the Thaivisa Phuket Forum.

sigh

Sniper

That's how it is made. The British in India in the days of the Raj decided they wanted the Indian food to have something of the flavour of the old country, so they got the cooks to make the dish with Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup.

But I don't think they paid 99 Bt for the rice :o

That's how it is made. The British in India in the days of the Raj decided they wanted the Indian food to have something of the flavour of the old country, so they got the cooks to make the dish with Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup.

But I don't think they paid 99 Bt for the rice :o

Nice fairy-tale.

It was invented in the late seventies somewhere in the British Midlands (I think).

Kwong Shop in the Kata High Street used to make an excellent gaeng kiaew wan and gaeng katik and, strangely enough, the Backpack Inn in Patong also used to make a great green curry. I can't say if they've maintained standards 'cause I haven't been for a while, but I used to eat in both places regularly.

But I don't think they paid 99 Bt for the rice :D

Nice fairy-tale.

It was invented in the late seventies somewhere in the British Midlands (I think).

No fairy tale. Truth. And I think that it was the balti dish that was devised in the Midlands (Birmingham springs to mind).

Sorry for the hijack, jd :o

From the web:-

Michael Hoffs of Glasgow adds that the dish was "invented in my lovely native city of Glasgow in the beautiful country of Scotland, when a customer at one of our better Indian restaurants asked for a gravy for the chicken he was eating. The chef invented, the now legendary, Chicken Tikka Masala."

Yes, Balti was invented in Birmingham.