Hazzards of night driving !

Problem of driving at night is that a lot of people out drive their headlights and most of them do not even know what out driving their headlights mean or how to figure it out....

I don't know what that means either. Can you translate to English?

Overdriving your headlights means driving too fast to be able to stop in the distance lit by your headlights. Automobile headlights are only effective for a certain distance. On average, with low beam headlights, you can only spot objects in the road for a distance of about 160 feet in front of your vehicle. With high beams, you can see about 450 feet ahead. Those distances dont take into account the age, visual abilities of the driver, or road conditions. Your headlights cant light objects over hills, around curves, or dips in the road and theyre even less effective in rain, fog or snow.

Lets say youre driving at 40 mph on a dark road using your low beam headlights when you see an object in the road ahead. On average, once you see the object ahead, it will take you 1.5 seconds to fully react and hit the brakes. Once you hit the brakes, it will still take time for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. At 40 mph, it takes approximately 189 feet (includes your reaction time) to bring a car to a complete stop. Remember that your headlights only allow you to see 160 feet ahead so, at 40 mph, you wont be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the object in the road.

When driving on a dark road, its best to use your high beam headlights but the law requires you to dim your headlights within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle (in the US). Remember also that the glare of the headlights from an oncoming vehicle can blind you to objects behind that vehicle. When driving in rain or snow and especially in fog, its best to use your low beam headlights. In foggy conditions, your high beams will only reflect back off of the fog and make it even more difficult to see ahead.

Speed limits are posted for ideal conditions such as a clear day on dry roads. At night, no matter what the posted speed limit may be, its best to slow to a speed where you can stop your vehicle within the space lit by your headlights.

Edited by Rdrokit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At night Mrs.Trans drives, I close my eyes and open them when she turns the ignition off....So far so good.....gigglem.gif

Then she might be a better driver than mine. She made her license when I had to leave Thailand for surgeries and I was surprised that she never switched into the fifth gear.

The car she's "practicing driving" only had four of them.

When you see a blue Mitsu pick up, doing 40 km/h on a highway, driving on the wrong lane, it could be my wife.

Be warned. facepalm.gif

What is your dashcam ? where did you buy it ? Quality seem good <3

Hi

The dash cam is a DOD LS460W http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/index/6

I got mine through ThaiBlackBox http://www.thaiblackbox.com/ but it's obviously available from many other places.

This camera is very good especially at night, and seems to pick up more detail than me looking through the windscreen (Yea! could be the 40% film) whistling.gif

The original which was shot in HD is actually better than this clip, seems to have lost quality in YouTube. sad.png

smile.png

At night Mrs.Trans drives, I close my eyes and open them when she turns the ignition off....So far so good.....gigglem.gif

It's better if she is driving at all the time, either day or night.

I also notice the lines in the information lines in the middle of the road are never to be trusted.

What else did you notice beside the lines in the information lines in the middle of the road that are never to be trusted?

Now I'm completely lost in Isaan roads on the lines in the information lines in the middle of the road.

Problem of driving at night is that a lot of people out drive their headlights and most of them do not even know what out driving their headlights mean or how to figure it out....

Overdriving your headlights means driving too fast to be able to stop in the distance lit by your headlights. Automobile headlights are only effective for a certain distance. On average, with low beam headlights, you can only spot objects in the road for a distance of about 160 feet in front of your vehicle. With high beams, you can see about 450 feet ahead. Those distances dont take into account the age, visual abilities of the driver, or road conditions. Your headlights cant light objects over hills, around curves, or dips in the road and theyre even less effective in rain, fog or snow.

Lets say youre driving at 40 mph on a dark road using your low beam headlights when you see an object in the road ahead. On average, once you see the object ahead, it will take you 1.5 seconds to fully react and hit the brakes. Once you hit the brakes, it will still take time for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. At 40 mph, it takes approximately 189 feet (includes your reaction time) to bring a car to a complete stop. Remember that your headlights only allow you to see 160 feet ahead so, at 40 mph, you wont be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the object in the road.

When driving on a dark road, its best to use your high beam headlights but the law requires you to dim your headlights within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle (in the US). Remember also that the glare of the headlights from an oncoming vehicle can blind you to objects behind that vehicle. When driving in rain or snow and especially in fog, its best to use your low beam headlights. In foggy conditions, your high beams will only reflect back off of the fog and make it even more difficult to see ahead.

Speed limits are posted for ideal conditions such as a clear day on dry roads. At night, no matter what the posted speed limit may be, its best to slow to a speed where you can stop your vehicle within the space lit by your headlights.

. Your headlights cant light objects over hills, around curves, or dips in the road and theyre even less effective in rain, fog or snow.

Are you a professor? gigglem.gif

Never heard it phased like that. I just call it driving too fast.

QED!

this isn't particularly a Thai problem, it is a world wide problem.

in UK it was accepted about 40 years ago that human eyesight is not suited to moving around in the dark, especially at the sort of speeds an average motorist drives at. The result was that miles and miles of motorways and other roads are lit at night. The type of lighting is also very important. Sadly as traffic engineering is a science that is just about completely absent in Thailand, any road lighting that is fitted in usually completely ineffective and quite often represents a danger in itself.

the argument in Uk is to strike a balance between energy consumption and safety. attempts about 5 yeears ago to switch off UK motorway lights resulted in an increase in road incidents.

Edited by cumgranosalum

. Your headlights cant light objects over hills, around curves, or dips in the road and theyre even less effective in rain, fog or snow.

Are you a professor? gigglem.gif

Which is why you have to slow down.

40 MPH needs 189 feet..?..,even aYank Corvette can stop in just under 100 feet from 60 MPH.

It includes reaction time. Here is a chart from the UK government. Maybe closer to 50mph but a lot of people are traveling faster than 50mph at night and out driving there low beams.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/312249/the-highway-code-typical-stopping-distances.pdf

Thank you, it seems that Lazadda has it also, I will buy one.

There are different models, can I know which one you would buy now if you had to change ? Thanks again.

What is your dashcam ? where did you buy it ? Quality seem good <3

Hi

The dash cam is a DOD LS460W http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/index/6

I got mine through ThaiBlackBox http://www.thaiblackbox.com/ but it's obviously available from many other places.

This camera is very good especially at night, and seems to pick up more detail than me looking through the windscreen (Yea! could be the 40% film) whistling.gif

The original which was shot in HD is actually better than this clip, seems to have lost quality in YouTube. sad.png

smile.png

40 MPH needs 189 feet..?..,even aYank Corvette can stop in just under 100 feet from 60 MPH.

It includes reaction time. Here is a chart from the UK government. Maybe closer to 50mph but a lot of people are traveling faster than 50mph at night and out driving there low beams.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/312249/the-highway-code-typical-stopping-distances.pdf

They dont state with ABS or not.You need a greater distance with ABS on a dry road as the Charts ive Googled show.

They dont state with ABS or not.You need a greater distance with ABS on a dry road as the Charts ive Googled show.

Basically nonsense in the real world though as ABS allows control to the vehicle that is lost without the benefit of ABS...and only applies to certain surfaces in ideal conditions.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression but there was never a chance of my having and accident with the bus, I am much to careful to be driving outside the limits on my lights at night whistling.gif

Besides the wife was with me and she can get a little jumpy tongue.png

The motorbike in the clip had no rear light, only the reflection of his number plate from my headlight so kept them on him in the hope he may learn something about lights.

Another lost cause I'm afraid coffee1.gif

"thaiandforumadict"

Over the years I've had numerous cams. Started off with the cheapest and worked my way up and realized you do really get what you pay for rolleyes.gif

I like a camera with a screen, it shows that it's actually doing something wink.png

I settled on the LS430W but then upgraded to the LS460W when they brought out that model.

Here is a comparison between the two models: - http://www.dod-tec.co/dod-ls460w-vs-dod-ls430w-comparison-test-review

The LS430W has been assigned to the rear window.

smile.png

I agree with you that a screen is essential to know that it's working and to show on the spot to the cops or anybody else that they lie.

Yes it seems that you are a dashcam expert so i will buy the same as yours.

But can I ask what you think about the Blackvue ? It's just more expensive and trendy but not better ?

Thanks again.

I agree with you that a screen is essential to know that it's working and to show on the spot to the cops or anybody else that they lie.

Yes it seems that you are a dashcam expert so i will buy the same as yours.

But can I ask what you think about the Blackvue ? It's just more expensive and trendy but not better ?

Thanks again.

Don't know about being an expert, but thanks for the vote biggrin.png

I don't know much about the Blackvue range of cams, as they don't have a screen and need a smartphone or computer to see what's going on I just did not bother with them.

I know a lot of people on here like them so it's really a question of personal preference and price. w00t.gif

"Techmoan" does a lot of good revues on a variety of gadgets including CarCams so worth a look to see if you want more information.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=techmoan+dash+cam

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwjf-XEXCYo

smile.png

So stupid me I didn't even now that blackvue does not have a screen, so no need to even thing about it, thank again, I will buy yours as it is sold on Lazada by the same seller.

I have the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH - I've found it small enough to hide behind the rear-view mirror. Its completely unobtrusive and unnoticeable when driving.

I didn't want a screen as I wanted the smallest good cam I could find to hide behind the rear-view mirror. When I wish to view a file I can use my Smart Phone to view the files over Wifi (and save across to the phone).

The Blackvue DR750LW-2CH does have a screen - I'm not sure if this is readily available in Thailand.

To be honest, I'm somewhat of a Blackvue fan. I've had 3 of them in my last 3 cars (sold the last two cars with the cam installed). That said, any good dash-cam is good enough so I'm sure DaffyD's recommendation is a good one.

One feature I believe is definitely worth considering is to also include rear-facing cam. If you are going to the trouble of installing and purchasing a Dash-Cam, then it's not a significant extra step to ensure 'rear facing' coverage.

"Richard"

Reading briefly through the Blackvue info I see instead of a battery it uses a capacitor to close down the camera safely when the ignition is switched off.

Fair enough, the capacitor has enough juice to do the job but will not hold a charge for very long so how does the camera retain the date and time?

Is there an additional small button battery inside the cam just for the clock?

Just curious

smile.png

Edited by Daffy D

"Richard"

Reading briefly through the Blackvue info I see instead of a battery it uses a capacitor to close down the camera safely when the ignition is switched off.

Fair enough, the capacitor has enough juice to do the job but will not hold a charge for very long so how does the camera retain the date and time?

Is there an additional small button battery inside the cam just for the clock?

Just curious

smile.png

For the DR650GW-2CH there is no auto-cut-off in built into the camera. Thus, when its connected to the 12v supply the Cam turns off when the ignition is turned off.

A Power Magic Pro can be used to hard-wire into the Car's battery, Fuse Box or other 12v power supply which isn't powered down when the ignition is turned off. You can set the Power Magic so that it automatically disconnects power to the Dash-Cam once the Car Battery voltage drops below a pre-set level (i.e. 11v etc) to prevent battery drain.

I'm not sure how long the Cam will record for in Parked mode.

I'm assuming that the Dash-Cam has a small battery to maintain settings / time etc... It must have !...

It appears that the DR750LW-2CH has its own built in power-shut off when the car battery levels drop below a pre-determined level. Again, I'm assuming a small 'button' battery to maintain settings and time etc.

The DR400G which is an older model - has been taken apart in the pic below. The small 'button' battery can be seen.

post-22569-0-42186700-1431848766_thumb.j

Edited by richard_smith237

How about when you come around a bend on a dimly lit (or not lit at all) road only to find yourself on top of a broken down vehicle with the only warning being a bit of a branch of a tree at it's rear end.

You should always be travelling at a speed from which you are able to stop, on your own side of the road, in the distance you can see to be clear ahead. No tree branches needed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Information lines: I think it is fairly obvious that the poster is saying that the information given to a driver by the different types of centre line cannot be trusted to be correct.

Your posts are usually some of the most interesting and right that I read here but I think you are wrong on this one.

Having time to check your files on another device in case of emergency is in your dreams only.

So much easier and faster to shut the mouth of any MIB with 1 click on a dashcam than having to view the file on another device...

I was also brainwashed by the internet BS about blackview but thanks to daffy I know that it is not the right device.

So stupid me I didn't even now that blackvue does not have a screen, so no need to even thing about it, thank again, I will buy yours as it is sold on Lazada by the same seller.

I have the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH - I've found it small enough to hide behind the rear-view mirror. Its completely unobtrusive and unnoticeable when driving.

I didn't want a screen as I wanted the smallest good cam I could find to hide behind the rear-view mirror. When I wish to view a file I can use my Smart Phone to view the files over Wifi (and save across to the phone).

The Blackvue DR750LW-2CH does have a screen - I'm not sure if this is readily available in Thailand.

To be honest, I'm somewhat of a Blackvue fan. I've had 3 of them in my last 3 cars (sold the last two cars with the cam installed). That said, any good dash-cam is good enough so I'm sure DaffyD's recommendation is a good one.

One feature I believe is definitely worth considering is to also include rear-facing cam. If you are going to the trouble of installing and purchasing a Dash-Cam, then it's not a significant extra step to ensure 'rear facing' coverage.

"Richard"

Your picture of the DR400G clearly shows a small button battery so I would guess all the models with capacitor must have one, it would seem the only way of keeping the time/date once set.

An alternative could be that each time the cam is switched on it gets the time/date from the GPS but that would mean the system would have to know what time zone the cam was in, and what if there was no GPS signal, like in an underground car park, but Err! lets not start on that topic. crazy.gif

Car Cams have a small internal power supply, either a rechargeable Li-ion battery or capacitor to enable the cam to shut down safely and save the last video clip when the ignition is turned off.

If they did not have this feature the last clip, which may well be the important accident one could well be corrupted. A bit like turning off your computer. When you click the shut down button it takes time to save your files before turning off. If you were to just pull the plug all your unsaved work would be lost.

You can see this shutdown delay when you turn off the ignition on a cam screen as it stays active switching to it's internal battery till the shutdown sequence is complete. I can be out of the car and have the doors locked before the cam actually shuts down.

On a cam with capacitor instead of battery the capacitor does the job of supplying enough power to the cam once the ignition is off to shut down safely and save the last clip. But unlike a battery the capacitor does not hold a charge for long hence my question about saving the date and time stamp.

As I said with a cam screen you can see that the cam is taking time to shut down properly by the delay once the ignition is switched off but how would you know this working properly in cam with no screen? Do you watch the indicator light to check the delay in the cam shutdown?

I had a problem with corrupt files from my CarCam till I realized the problem was the battery and I changed it.

Details here if interested:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801396-carcam-movie-files-corruptunplayable/

smile.png

"Richard"

Your picture of the DR400G clearly shows a small button battery so I would guess all the models with capacitor must have one, it would seem the only way of keeping the time/date once set.

An alternative could be that each time the cam is switched on it gets the time/date from the GPS but that would mean the system would have to know what time zone the cam was in, and what if there was no GPS signal, like in an underground car park, but Err! lets not start on that topic. crazy.gif

Car Cams have a small internal power supply, either a rechargeable Li-ion battery or capacitor to enable the cam to shut down safely and save the last video clip when the ignition is turned off.

If they did not have this feature the last clip, which may well be the important accident one could well be corrupted. A bit like turning off your computer. When you click the shut down button it takes time to save your files before turning off. If you were to just pull the plug all your unsaved work would be lost.

You can see this shutdown delay when you turn off the ignition on a cam screen as it stays active switching to it's internal battery till the shutdown sequence is complete. I can be out of the car and have the doors locked before the cam actually shuts down.

On a cam with capacitor instead of battery the capacitor does the job of supplying enough power to the cam once the ignition is off to shut down safely and save the last clip. But unlike a battery the capacitor does not hold a charge for long hence my question about saving the date and time stamp.

As I said with a cam screen you can see that the cam is taking time to shut down properly by the delay once the ignition is switched off but how would you know this working properly in cam with no screen? Do you watch the indicator light to check the delay in the cam shutdown?

I had a problem with corrupt files from my CarCam till I realized the problem was the battery and I changed it.

Details here if interested:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801396-carcam-movie-files-corruptunplayable/

smile.png

My preferences for a Dash-Cam is to have something unobtrusive that I can hide behind my rear-view mirror and forget about. Its sufficiently 'out of the way' so that I don't see it when driving. I also don't check the cam each time I turn the car off.

Having viewed the 'shut down' files the cam records much in the same way you have mentioned above, approximately 30 seconds of data is recorded after turning off the ignition. I don't hang around for the LED lights to turn off etc (the recordings have shown me walking away from a locked car).

When I turn on the ignition there is a voice alert, after turning off the ignition there is another "BlackVue shutting down"...

With every function a Voice alert confirms the action. i.e. Turning off Wifi (also a signal LED), or Turning off Sound Recording.

GPS - In cam settings / software settings I have set the time Zone, I don't think the time auto-updates from the GPS.

Addressing thailandforumaddicts points: Having a cam with screen or no screen and Wifi-smartphone connectivity is a personal preference. I found the cam's with a screen a little obtrusive - This is why we research what we want before we make a purchase.

The Wifi connectivity to the Dash-cam is not instantaneous - it will take about a minute to connect and view files.

Edited by richard_smith237

The Wifi connectivity to the Dash-cam is not instantaneous - it will take about a minute to connect and view files.

When the cam is connected via WiFi does it send a file continuously i.e. to my smart fone ?