Supreme Court rejects appeal by female teenager in fatal van fall from the expressway

webfact

No matter what the very unclear OP says or not, I can guarantee you that nobody with the name Na Ayudhya is ever going to spend one second behind bars!!

To stay within forum rules, I suggest you google the name.

They belong to the protected species..........................coffee1.gif

I googled and a facebook profile came up matching the first name too....Obviously I can't be sure if that is her but if it IS....she seems to be more than getting on with her life...whistling.gif

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Somchai the taxi driver had of done this would the sentence be so lenient?

If you are the kids of high sos feel free to recklessly kill a van full of people or mow down a policeman while you're drugged up in your ferrari. You won't do any prison time no matter if it is democrat, PTP or Junta in charge!

I actually feel quite sick. I hope the families keep pushing so at the very least this family (who haven't even apologized to the victims families if I'm not mistaken?) will forever be reminded of it.

The victims of the family might be very careful how to persuade the case before they might all disappear. I have worked for several Na Ayudhya's and they hold a lot of power in this country.

From Wikipedia:

According to Family Name Act, B.E.2465, Rama VI ordered that royal descendants who do not hold any title should append the words "Na Ayudhya" (ณ อยุธยา) to their surname, to signify they are descended from a royal blood line.Title of Wife of Prince

Something is terribly and awfully wrong here, where the supreme court hasn't seen fit to throw this

scrubber of a person to lengthy jail time and not probation, surname or no surname, justice

have not been made here, and since it's the words of the supreme court, there is no recourse

for a harsher punishment, I just hope that the grieving relatives will take her and her hi-so

family to the cleaners...

Something is terribly and awfully wrong here, where the supreme court hasn't seen fit to throw this

scrubber of a person to lengthy jail time and not probation, surname or no surname, justice

have not been made here, and since it's the words of the supreme court, there is no recourse

for a harsher punishment, I just hope that the grieving relatives will take her and her hi-so

family to the cleaners...

Completely agree but as we all know from previous cases these issues are most often settled for a pittance. The Red Bull ' contribution' a case in point.

A more readable version of the OP:

Today the Appeal Court slightly increased the punishment handed down by the lower court, assigning Ms. Orachon a four-year suspended prison sentence with 48 hours of community service per suspended prison year.

In addition, the court has upheld the ban prohibiting Ms. Orachon from driving until she reaches 25 years of age.

Source:http://www.samuitimes.com/deadly-car-crash-driver-escapes-jail-term/

So the spoiled brat has to do 24 hours community service for each victim, she killed!!

One law for the rich and one for the poor. Not a surprise really, but it still upsets me every time I get reminded!!

Funny how the owner of the car (who presumably gave her permission to drive it whilst she was underage and uninsured) has never been named, far less prosecuted. Wonder why that is.

She is of the Na Ayudhya family. No further comments needed

It's not that straightforward. Consider the "Windsor" name in Britain. Nobody would rational suggest that Barbara of that ilk has the same level of privilege or social status as Brenda, Brian and the rest of the tribe. It's the same with the na ayudhaya clan.

Now that the court cases are settled, I hope the relatives of those killed sue the asses off her and her parents, and leave them without a stang.

Another news article stated that they are being sued by the families for 120 million baht. That case has been suspended awaiting the outcome of this case.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

and now for the civil case

I really hope they take this little rich kids family to the cleaners

I'm just wondering whether there is a deliberate step by step legal strategy involved here.

i.e. Get the courts to reduce her sentence, so that when the families of the deceased sue the brat, her lawyers would be able to say 'but she committed a very minor offence - just look at the punishment' therefore making a play for no compensation or very limited compensation.

Just wondering.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Na Ayudhya - her hi-so surname says it all ...

Thepassadin Na Ayutthaya

ThaiPBS desperately needs an English editor.

I asked my wife who knows some people there if they would be interested in that. She said: Nope, they are Thai suung, In other words, maybe when hel freezes over.

Shis girl just wants to drive legally now and does not want to wait until 25. Why doesn't she just get a driver like her friends?

No matter what the very unclear OP says or not, I can guarantee you that nobody with the name Na Ayudhya is ever going to spend one second behind bars!!

To stay within forum rules, I suggest you google the name.

They belong to the protected species..........................coffee1.gif

Probably correct but begs the question: why was she driving a Honda Civic? ( not that it's of any significance for the poor buggers who were killed through her negligence)

A borrowed Honda civic.

I get the impression the appeal of the original sentence (3 year commuted to 2 etc), in which the appeal court commuted to 4 years probation, that it is the appeal that has been quashed by the Supreme Court and she now has to do the 2 years.

I'm probably one of the only few on this forum that isn't native English, and I have no problem to comprehend the ruling.

That shows that I have been to school for free and others for nothing.

The Supreme Court said in its statement there was no significant evidence to reverse the ruling on August 2012 by the Central Juvenile and Family Court that sentenced her to three years in prison but commuted by one third to two years in prison.

The juvenile court also granted three-year probation for her prison term, and mandated her to three year behaviour control, 48 hours of working to caring road accident patients, and report authorities every three months.

I took the same meaning as you from this somewhat garbled report.

From memory wasn't she underage, no driving licence, in a car mummy and daddy bought for her at the time? Apparently the parents didn't break any laws in doing this and allowing her to drive illegally with no license whilst underage. She was pictured just after the crash apparently texting someone on her mobile phone. She was also pictured in a wheelchair a few days later although the hospital said there was no need for one.

The family appealed the very lenient sentence from a very generous court. Presumably they would have preferred her to be completely let off. She's probably getting itchy feet about driving again before 25, doesn't want to do the community service and certainly won't like have to report to the authorities. Not really HiSo,

Disgraceful - but not surprising given the family name and in context with all the other HiSo well connected right family types who also get away very lightly if indeed they are punished a all. Red Bull boy - nothing; the actor caught on cctv shooting his former mate - nothing; and so the pantomime goes on.

So she kills 9 innocent people, ends up with a bit of probation and appeals even that? Am I correct here or have I misread the OP?

You are correct. She's brat that doesn't want wait until 25 to drive again. sad sad world we live in.

I think it's fair for us to assume that she will still be driving as people like her have no regard for rules and regulations and very often have no need to as the they are ' protected ' one way or another.

I would suggest she simply he wanted her face back by having the ban reversed, the actual ban will have no practical application for her.

I'm surprised one of the victims' families haven't sought their own retribution. I would, without any care of the subsequent consequences. And I mean that wholeheartedly

Well said. It is a constant surprise to me how people can just "suck it up" and move on after such an avoidable tragedy struck their family members. As soon as I saw the photographs of the aftermath of this accident, in particular the mangled poor chap impaled on some re-bar dangling about 20 meters above the road, I knew exactly how "justice" could be served. Suffice to say that my suitable punishment does not match the probation and few hours community service that the courts decided on.

Death crash appeal thrown out
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE Supreme Court yesterday threw out an appeal filed by a young woman whose underage driving caused nine deaths and serious injuries to many victims in 2010.

The move, in effect, means that civil proceedings against the woman can resume. The Civil Court had previously suspended proceedings pending a final ruling related to criminal offences.

The defendant, now 21, was convicted of reckless driving that injured and killed others. Last year, the Court of Appeals sentenced the woman to two years jail, but suspended the term for four years. The court also ordered the defendant to tend to accident victims for 48 hours a year, as community service for a period of four years. She was also barred from driving until she reaches the age of 25.

Her appeal was against that verdict. However, with the Supreme Court announcing its decision yesterday, the criminal case against her is now final.

In a shocking accident, the woman's car slammed into a public-transport van in late 2010 causing it to spin, overturn and hurl several people, including the female van driver, over the edge of an elevated tollway. The van driver and many of her passengers were killed at the scene.

Thongpoon Panthong, the van driver's mother, said the defendant had never talked to her - or offered an apology.

"There is no word of consolation. There is no kind of remedial action from her," Thongpoon said, in the courtroom yesterday.

The defendant's name is withheld because she was a minor at the time of the accident. Relatives of the accident victims have been demanding about Bt120 million in total compensation via the Civil Court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Death-crash-appeal-thrown-out-30259846.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

The defendant's name was withheld because she was a minor at the time of the offence but was all over the media as soon as the story broke.

The first thing her mother said was there should be no assumption she would be treated differently because of her family name and of course that didn't happen, did it ? rolleyes.gif

In the BP they mention civil lawsuits worth 120 million baht. If she had the criminal charges overturned the civil case would have been significantly weakened. Now that her appeal has been rejected the civil suit will proceed.

This case was different in that she killed several doctors/med students from Thammasat U. If she had killed 9 migrant workers her family would have paid a couple of million total and all would have been forgiven and forgotten. However, the mid-so families of her victems are not so easily bought off!

Archived