Thailand's education spending above 6% of GDP

webfact

Thailand's education spending above 6% of GDP
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Education expenses in Thailand during 2008-2013 stayed above 6 per cent of the country's gross domestic product, totalling Bt805 billion in 2013 or 6.42 per cent, according to a research.

Chaiyuth Punyasavatsut, chief of Thailand’s national education account project, said that of total, government spending in 2013 accounted for Bt640 billion or 80.25 per cent. Basic education consumed Bt510 billion or 71 per cent of total.

He also added that expenses on basic education increased 7.4 per cent year on year during the period, against the fact that the number of students dropped from 13.1 million in 2008 to 12.4 million in 2013.

The information was revealed at the regional workshop on National Education Account, which was participated by representatives from Vietnam, Laos and Nepal. The workshop was supported by Unesco Institute for Statistics (UIS).

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-11

"....however he went on to say that roughly 80% of all the expenditure was nicked by the administrators and their sycophants in the Ministry, and this was no increase from the previous year. The fact that the school rolls have reduced therefore means more money was actually spent on each child this year compared to last year. This is a positive sign for the education system and we proved we have bigger balls than Vietnam, Laos, and Nepal because we don't mind throwing money at a dead horse".

Maths, education, and the economy - Thai style. thumbsup.gif

"Thailand's education spending above 6% of GDP"

Most Thais are very gullible and they have been ripped of for ages by the Thai - Chinese elite, how many of the Thai- Chinese families send their kids to a government run school in Thailand? Even the private schools here are of very low quality. If you love your kids and want them to get a decent job when they grow up send them to a school outside Thailand.

In the USA, we spend our money on defense instead. It works better, specific examples are the invention and development of microprocessors, Tang orange drink, non stick frying pans, cellphones (GPS) and let's not leave out Noam Chomsky. This money spending just goes for n.o.t.h.i.n.g. NOTHING. Down the crapper.

Edited by maewang99

"....however he went on to say that roughly 80% of all the expenditure was nicked by the administrators and their sycophants in the Ministry, and this was no increase from the previous year. The fact that the school rolls have reduced therefore means more money was actually spent on each child this year compared to last year. This is a positive sign for the education system and we proved we have bigger balls than Vietnam, Laos, and Nepal because we don't mind throwing money at a dead horse".

Maths, education, and the economy - Thai style. thumbsup.gif

run out of likes so thumbsup.gif

After 5 years at University, one of which was spent as a skivvy in a remote village, my step-daughter can not get a post unless money under the desk is paid. I am unwilling to pay this (I can't get an exact figure) but if I don't then 5 years of tuition fees have been thrown away so she can serve in a corner shop!

Is there a list of jobs anywhere? Why are candidates not judged by interview or trial lesson? Is there a hot-line through to the General to whom we can complain. Answers to these questions ensure that Thailand gets the Education system it deserves.

I taught 38 years in UK schools and I am aghast at the waste of a country's resources.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Then why is it they have, the worst education in ASEAN?

Why? Here's why:

1. Penny wise, pound foolish. They don't pay enough to attract quality teachers so they get retired alcoholics, gap year kids or people who can't find employment elsewhere. As well, the abusive manner the teachers are subjected to gives Thailand a very bad reputation.

2. Politics over policies. Too many times I've seen decisions made that your head spin, and no one could argue against these decisions because the idiot who made them was too far up the food chain.

3. All Pass System. There are rare exceptions, but the VAST majority of schools will not fail a student. The kids figure this out early in their careers as delinquents and nobody does anything to change their behavior.

4. I saved the best for last - Hubris. They will not EVER admit making a mistake. The director of the last school I worked at was a horrible piece of work. She would openly talk of how much she hated the foreign teachers, how they were lazy and stupid, thinking no one understood her when she spoke Thai. Well, sweetheart, there were some of us who understood your bitter words. The insane decisions she made were set in stone, even when she was faced with facts to the contrary.

Add to this a system wrought with corruption and you get the winning combination of Thai students being the WORST of all Asean countries. And they still look at this as being #1!!! "Thainess."

a school i worked at asked me to interview 2 potential assistant teachers to work along side the foreign teachers in the MEP.

One was perfect. Good answers and so much enthusiasm. The other could barely say her name despite a degree from a good university in English Communication. I asked her 3 questions, the final one was why she wants to be a teacher. She didnt answer but started crying.

After all that, i confered with the Head of English and (obviously) recommended the first interviewee.

the next term i was pretty amazed to see the second girl in position to start work. Stood at the back of class playing with her mobile. It became clear when it was pointed out to me that she is in fact the sister of another teacher at the school.

I think this helps explain why the education system is a bit FUBAR.

a school i worked at asked me to interview 2 potential assistant teachers to work along side the foreign teachers in the MEP.

One was perfect. Good answers and so much enthusiasm. The other could barely say her name despite a degree from a good university in English Communication. I asked her 3 questions, the final one was why she wants to be a teacher. She didnt answer but started crying.

After all that, i confered with the Head of English and (obviously) recommended the first interviewee.

the next term i was pretty amazed to see the second girl in position to start work. Stood at the back of class playing with her mobile. It became clear when it was pointed out to me that she is in fact the sister of another teacher at the school.

I think this helps explain why the education system is a bit FUBAR.

Or the successful candidate offered more money. I am amazed to hear of an interview - I thought candidates had to attend an auction to get a teaching job.