Where are all the locals?

Oscar2

ex-pats and tourists come and go but where have all the locals gone? last night about 10:30 i went to Muang Mai Market. usually it is a bustling place at night. i would guess that only 35% of the usual amount of people selling were doing business last night. plenty of parking...and i had to walk a long distance just to find a few veggies here and there as there were so few sellers! it was a ghost town, never seen anything like it.

then last week the wife and i while in Hang Dong on business decided to call on a lady we've known for years who had a busy export business in Baan Tawai for more than 12 years. when we drove in, at first we thought we had turned into a wrong soi. in the heart of the Baan Tawai village where there used to be pick-up trucks lined up loading and unloading and people buying everywhere, there were perhaps 3 cars and one mini-van of Chinese tourists. perhaps 40%????? of all the businesses were closed, many locked up with no sign indicating when they would re-open, many were boarded up, many out of business. when we asked around where our lady friend was, all we got was "she's gone - no business anymore, Chinese only look, take photos, not buy." her number was disconnected... we drove around through the villages where people used to be seen painting, sculpting, doing wood work...and nothing! not a soul working anywhere. most of the "factories" in the villages had chains around the gates.

what's going on???

This morning every chair in the outpatient waiting areas of Suan Dok and Prasat (CM Neurological) Hospitals were full. The employee food court at Suan Dok was absolutely packed with residents and interns. And it was hotter than Hades. I figured it was just a typical Monday morning. But, very few foreigners. After a 35 baht lunch (they recently raised the price from 30 baht for two items plus rice), I went over to Kad Suan Kaew mall and found it a ghost mall. Gee, had I taken a wrong turn and ended up at Promenada?

At Bangkok Bank, I had a simple inquiry of a customer service rep. When she answered the question, she said "is that all Khun Nancy. No other business today?" She was very disappointed. I lingered in the bank, soaking up their aircon and making notes in the passbooks I'd updated. Two other customer service reps and the assistant manager came by to chat, asking if they could help me. The assistant manager wanted to update me on new developments with their health insurance plans. He knows I'm too old for them, but he thought I might want to "tell my friends" I think he was bored and just wanted to fill the time.

Yes, aside from whatever's going on with the gov't hospitals, which have been bursting at the seams for the past year, it does look like Chiang Mai is a ghost town.

Yesterday was a Buddha day, my wife was complaining that she couldn't buy any meat at the market, the local temples were very busy.

Today was first day of school for some places, often the whole family goes to school.

Baan Tawai has been dead for years, overpriced tat at the market, price of products from factories is no longer competitive globally.

April and May are usually quiet on the local retail front as all money goes on the Song Kran drinking and then school fees and associated costs.

This morning every chair in the outpatient waiting areas of Suan Dok and Prasat (CM Neurological) Hospitals were full. The employee food court at Suan Dok was absolutely packed with residents and interns. And it was hotter than Hades. I figured it was just a typical Monday morning. But, very few foreigners. After a 35 baht lunch (they recently raised the price from 30 baht for two items plus rice), I went over to Kad Suan Kaew mall and found it a ghost mall. Gee, had I taken a wrong turn and ended up at Promenada?

At Bangkok Bank, I had a simple inquiry of a customer service rep. When she answered the question, she said "is that all Khun Nancy. No other business today?" She was very disappointed. I lingered in the bank, soaking up their aircon and making notes in the passbooks I'd updated. Two other customer service reps and the assistant manager came by to chat, asking if they could help me. The assistant manager wanted to update me on new developments with their health insurance plans. He knows I'm too old for them, but he thought I might want to "tell my friends" I think he was bored and just wanted to fill the time.

Yes, aside from whatever's going on with the gov't hospitals, which have been bursting at the seams for the past year, it does look like Chiang Mai is a ghost town.

it certinally was a ghost town in nimman and the sois after midnight last night,every were shut.

i had heard that business wasn't good at Baan Tawai but i didn't realize it was that bad! so are the same items including furniture being manufactured in Chinese factories and sent to Thailand for less than it would cost to make them locally? i guess a lot of businesses have failed and people have lost their jobs.

i didn't realize it was a Buddhist holiday yesterday - asked the wife but she didn't know. i guess that would explain the market situation...although people/restaurants still need to buy food i would think. again - never seen Muang Mai Market like that in the many years i've been here.

i might add that we were in the city earlier in the evening and it was absolutely packed with Chinese tourists. i think there was some kind of festival at PratuTaphae. so it was a bizarre contrast at the market only a couple of hours later.

I'm not a huge expert on Muang Mai market, but isn't the main business there in the very early hours, when vendors from other markets and restaurants buy their stuff in bulk?

vendors on the street out by the river begin arriving around 9:00 p.m. or thereabouts. but the sellers in the actual market are there all day and most of the night. last night even the sellers inside the market were not there. only a few here and there. i overheard many Thais asking what was going on and nobody had an answer.

it certinally was a ghost town in nimman and the sois after midnight last night,every were shut.

Nimman was never a late night place, with the exception of Tawan Daeng and Infinity. Before the coup there were some places along the sois that would stay open to 1 or 2 a.m. if they had enough business to justify it, but as far as I can tell that ended with the coup. After midnight Infinity and Tawan Daeng are the only places open late and staying busy--Maldives sometimes stays open late but is usually pretty quiet. I've read that even these places have been closing early due to the latest crackdown, but they'll probably be back to normal soon.

Ban Tawai always seems half dead. I dont think i have ever seen it any different. Yamazaki bakery airport plaza today, no customers at all. Straight in and and no queue at the check out. That was a first for me. Dukes by the river last friday afternoon only one couple in the restaurant when we arrived. And another table occupied when we left. Immigration today for a 90 day report jam packed full. The busiest place in town . Must be a hell hole to work at during the hot season.

Stopped by the Subway in the night Bazaar tonight. They didn't even have vender carts set up on Loi Kroh wife said 5 day holiday.

The wife her mother and daughter went to the Temple today for some kind of Buddhist ceremony.

The stalls on Loi Kroh in the night bazaar were not open because of a directive by the local council and has nothing to do with a holiday. They are not very happy, because the council wants them to move into Galare or Anusarn, which are both owned by a very rich man. For some strange reason they've been told that they can't open for 5 days, which may be because some bigwig is in town. The stalls on Changklan Rd from Royal Princess Hotel to Panthip Plaza were also forced to close.

Why were you stopped ?

Stopped by the Subway in the night Bazaar tonight. They didn't even have vender carts set up on Loi Kroh wife said 5 day holiday.

The wife her mother and daughter went to the Temple today for some kind of Buddhist ceremony.

The stalls on Loi Kroh in the night bazaar were not open because of a directive by the local council and has nothing to do with a holiday. They are not very happy, because the council wants them to move into Galare or Anusarn, which are both owned by a very rich man. For some strange reason they've been told that they can't open for 5 days, which may be because some bigwig is in town. The stalls on Changklan Rd from Royal Princess Hotel to Panthip Plaza were also forced to close.

Why were you stopped ?

"Stopped by", in this context, means he "went into" the Subway store.

Why were you stopped ?

See what you mean. Assume he forgot to type the "I".

Why were you stopped ?

See what you mean. Assume he forgot to type the "I".

No I didn't. How could the subway stop me? It is inside the building.smile.png

Archived