Are you returning to US with wife? What are your plans? Jobs? City?

You and your wife could aways go through a one month CDL course and team drive. Make decent money and she could really see the country.

Make your parents house home base. No car, no rent, no mortgage. Save most of your income.

2016 should be ok year but economy is really showing weakness. Fed really screwed up with QE.

Negative thinking is for ********, LOL. There are lots of jobs for people wanting work.

Cheers smile.png

Fed screwed up with QE? is that why they are now trying it in Europe?

Forbes Magazine,

"Housing Starts Jump 20.2%, Building Permits Hit Seven-Year High In April"

US unemployment rate Mar 2015 5.5%

They are doing it in Europe because they have no other option, worse its not working.

As for the housing starts its a total anomaly and definately a regional phenom.

You and your wife could aways go through a one month CDL course and team drive. Make decent money and she could really see the country.

Make your parents house home base. No car, no rent, no mortgage. Save most of your income.

I could perhaps but I lack the employment record required by Fed govt and insurance carriers.

I've really looked at all angles throughout he states.

Anyone that wants work ... at the end of the day, bills need to be paid. An auto alone is estimated to cost nearly 10k to drive and maintain. Your comment is trite. If it was only about driving a car or serving some gruel we would have been there long ago. Its just that simple.

There are huge logistical issues putting someone to work, without transport, excluding even safety. I am returning with no work record, work references, credit history, rental or mortgage history, credit cards. All the credit reporting agencies have no record of me, years ago that was my plan.

The economy is very weak, half the US has no savings. Walmart missed estimates. Its nothing that cant be met and dealt with given the right break.

Unemployment numbers are total bullshit and do not account for people eho have dropped off the rolls, many like myself. Tens of millions unemployed and 55.

If the economy was strong, we would not need QE4 and the interest rate would not be negative. The unemployment number everyone knows is bs and unemployment is regional anyway. San Fran or Detroit? Even LasV is still 7%.

OK, well I'm going to work here and will continue to consider my options. Thanks to all of you who lent your insight and support. Someone will come to our aid and provide us with a cheap place to crash for few months and a reference or two. That's what we need. My folks place is four hours from any great job market and even DC is too expensive to restart.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

Wow. DC, Seattle and San Jose? Expensive especially San Jose otherwise known as Silicone Valley.

The OP is starting with no current job skills or references or credit etc. and he needs a place to live inexpensively while he gets a toehold.

The strip in LV might be referred to as the Siicone Valley but San Jose is in the Silicon Valley smile.png

I could perhaps but I lack the employment record required by Fed govt and insurance carriers.

Anyone that wants work ... at the end of the day, bills need to be paid. An auto alone is estimated to cost nearly 10k to drive and maintain. Your comment is trite. If it was only about driving a car or serving some gruel we would have been there long ago. Its just that simple.

There are huge logistical issues putting someone to work, without transport, excluding even safety. I am returning with no work record, work references, credit history, rental or mortgage history, credit cards. All the credit reporting agencies have no record of me, years ago that was my plan.

The economy is very weak, half the US has no savings. Walmart missed estimates. Its nothing that cant be met and dealt with given the right break.

Unemployment numbers are total bullshit and do not account for people eho have dropped off the rolls, many like myself. Tens of millions unemployed and 55.

If the economy was strong, we would not need QE4 and the interest rate would not be negative. The unemployment number everyone knows is bs and unemployment is regional anyway. San Fran or Detroit? Even LasV is still 7%.

OK, well I'm going to work here and will continue to consider my options. Thanks to all of you who lent your insight and support. Someone will come to our aid and provide us with a cheap place to crash for few months and a reference or two. That's what we need. My folks place is four hours from any great job market and even DC is too expensive to restart.

You are simply too negative and parroting negativity from others. I'm in the US and everyone I know who wants to work is working.

My negative comment is that 10% of the working population consists of people who aren't employable and who I'd fire today if they worked for me. Don't look at the small part of the population but at the 90% who have jobs and see a glass that's 90% full instead of 10% empty.

I really don't think anyone could make it with a negative starting outlook and frankly based on your thinking I have no idea why you'd want to come back to the US. ?? Things are so terrible at the moment, don't you know?

The truth is that things are fine and about normal for jobs and economy. There's no recession now. It's just normal times for the US which is better than any other place in the world.

Speaking of 90%, more than 90% of people in this world are locked out of your opportunity to just rock up to the US when you want to and do what you want as a citizen. You won the birth lottery so get busy and get it on. smile.png

Cheers

• Like 2

Maybe a job waiting for you at Disney World:

2907986-snowwhite_grumpy_4.gif

Thanks for the idea, but at 6 ' 7" I think I am too tall for any Grumpy work at

Disney World....

Well then can you breathe heavy? -- maybe try Disney World Orlando MGM studio:

571648-darth_vader_23.jpg

Trite, huh?

You're on your own now, Mr. Negative.

• Like 2

guys saying there are plenty of job make me laugh.

100m still looking or working 3 jobs a day.

need pay for Obama Care, food, rent,... you need a salary of minimum 30'000$ to make your return worths it.

been in the USA, seen 60 years old guys working at cash register in a empty dollar shop. all complain it' s tough.

the time you go back to the USA , we will have another gigantic economic crash putting billions of people on the streets.

you know what? stay in Thailand and don't believe the American dream.

Thailand dream is the way to go. go to the USA see your folks 2x a year and come back to the land of smile.

keep your cash in the USA, and live like a monk in Thailand.

you will be much happier than the rat race in the USA.

the guys there chase minimum jobs, Uber and else are crap job.

be careful and good luck.

Edited by VIPinthailand

guys saying there are plenty of job make me laugh.

100m still looking or working 3 jobs a day.

need pay for Obama Care, food, rent,... you need a salary of minimum 30'000$ to make your return worths it.

been in the USA, seen 60 years old guys working at cash register in a empty dollar shop. all complain it' s tough.

the time you go back to the USA , we will have another gigantic economic crash putting billions of people on the streets.

you know what? stay in Thailand and don't believe the American dream.

Thailand dream is the way to go. go to the USA see your folks 2x a year and come back to the land of smile.

keep your cash in the USA, and live like a monk in Thailand.

you will be much happier than the rat race in the USA.

the guys there chase minimum jobs, Uber and else are crap job.

be careful and good luck.

5.5% unemployment rate is below what economists consider to be the natural unemployment rate in the US

though I agree that there is considerable under employment, it is also notable that the median US income is $51,939, well above your $30,000 minimum requirement

Certainly more jobs for Americans in the US than in Thailand, so if you need to work......

if you don't then I agree Thailand is very nice.

• Like 1

Yes sure when I want economic statistics I go to the economic collapse blog, why waste my time with US Bureau Of Labor Statistics.

The 5.5% rate does not represent the general population, it represents the labor market

I agree that there is under employment, and that there is a segment that has quit looking for work,have never looked for work,or for many other reasons are unable or unwilling

and are not considered as part of the labor force

I dont know of anyone who knows anything about economics that would argue with the above

but these components exist in other countries employment markets also ,

so comparing apples and apples, the US employment picture looks better than most countries at this time.

Janet Yellen understand this , and for that and many other reasons, there are no immediate plans for "takeoff" on interest rates

So in my opinion, if you are looking for work, at this time, the US is as good a place as any, and certainly better than most, especially if you have certain skills.

• Like 1

500 $ for housing

500 for food

500 for car

500 for Obamacare

500 pocket money and else

500 for tax

Total 3000$ a month.

salary 10 dollar an hour, work 50 hour a week.=2200 dollars a month.

you are still short of 800 dollars, you need to borrow and this is where people got caught and finish in debt. this is why most of US folks are in debt.

not worth to go back to the USA in my point of view.

better to stay in Thailand and save.

so in my opinion, the USA employment is a big farce and wages will be lower and lower.

you pay to actually work . this is really a bad idea unless you have a good job offer when you arrive there.

Edited by VIPinthailand

Not an ex pat but been to Thailand 14 times and for some extended holidays over the last 10 years. I have worked and lived in many US cities and have visited the Wat Thais there extensively. Speaking in general, if you have a choice I would go with the tax free state, Florida, Texas, Washington, and a few others. California and the Los Angeles and San Diego areas have a large Thai population and great weather, but CA has its downsides. I live in Palm Beach FL but contract engineer all over the place. North of Palm Beach is actually pretty cheap. Melbourne FL has a very friendly Thai Temple. Albuquerque NM had a nice Thai temple and community.

Depending on where your wife and you spent most of your time in Thailand, the one thing that might be the most noticeable is the transportation and getting around in the USA. In general one doesn't walk down the street, stop and chat with the vendors, etc. One gets in your car and drives to one super market or another. There are not cheap and frequent Songtaows Isolation and boredom can be a huge issue.

Work will be a challenge. One Thai gal I knew and kept in touch with made the move to Ohio. She got married, had the anchor baby etc. She got a job in one of the car part assembly plants. Miserable for her. Can't talk on the job. Mai Sanuk. She made some money but when she saw the pay stub and the Federal taxes, state taxes, Social Security taxes, she was dismayed. Another gal I kept in touch with moved to LA, worked in the Thai restaurant and after two years went back to Thailand. "work long hours, not make much money".

The American dream is not easy with no resources or special skills, and sometimes luck.

Then don't live in DC... just work there. You can do like everyone else and commute for 30-45 minutes.

There are so many jobs in the DC area (e.g Baltimore, Annapolis, Northern VA) because the (collected) tax money does not fall far from the pot.

Perhaps you could check out the Section 8 housing in Columbia, MD.

Edited by Gumballl

Unless I missed someone else already bringing up this issue, don't forget health insurance costs in the US. ObamaCare is not cheap; either you get a low cost premium plan with huge deductibles and copays which mean you get little or nothing in regular care; only if you need catastrophic care. And the plans that do cover more for regular care carry expensive premiums.

Unless you're getting Medicare, that's a bit better but still a cost. Then your wife still needs to be covered somehow.

I moved back to the US 4 years ago (to Arizona). But that's because a client with my old consulting biz while I was in LOS offered me a sweet job, high pay and good benefits so I didn't need to sign up for ObamaCare and I was already doing pretty well financially.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the cultural adjustment. I was out of the US for 9 years (3 years in Taiwan and 6 years in LOS) before I moved back. I've been back 4 years now and I am still not acclimated; a lot has changed since I left in 2002 and returned in 2011. And the changes are not for the better, at least from my point of view.

Another thing, I wish I had a buck for every farang (American or not) who moved back to their home country with their Thai missus, only to see her become a "westernized woman", bag the dude who brought her over after a couple of years before and plays the woman-friendly western cultures and laws for all their worth. Then leave the guy sobbing in his cheap US beer. That or she gets "bored" or "tired of being controlled", "misses Thailand/friends/family". I've heard all these whines from most Thai women who moved to a western country with their BF/husband then came back after a couple of years, dump the guy and return to Thailand alone.

Personally, I would never bring a Thai woman to live in the US, but that's just me.

Think things through carefully.

You should focus your time in meeting more educated expats, who not only take pride in themselves, but also their choice of a missus. The ones that you are referring to are probably the dregs of society, and their wives are probably not much better.

My wife been living the US for over 8 years, has a job, from which she earns money to pay for maintenance of her house in Thailand, for health insurance for her parents, and for minor purchases here in the US.

My wife has no doubt come to appreciate what the US offers, especially with respect to schooling for my two young daughters. If she gains even a single percent of westernization, I know that someday she will return to Thailand with an 'attitude'.

I second that opinion

Same thing here, My wife came to the US with me, went to school, learned the language,

got a drivers licence, and car, learned a trade got her US citizenship

Now she is an independent lady, I don;t worry what will happen to her after I die.

Initially we had plans build a house in property we own and move to Thailand , Now she want to build a small holiday home there, she says , after a few months in Thailand she get's annoyed.

She loves the law and order in the US

She is no longer the scared insecure young lady that came out of Thailand, she is a force to be reckoned with, and I am very proud of her.

The right Thai girl, with the support of her husband will do fine in the US

I know Three other Thai ladies in the US, they are both well adjusted, and two,actually, do better than their american husbands here.

The Third , her husband passed away, she started working at a parachute company as a seamstress many years ago, now she is a supervisor!!,

as part of her job, she has to jump from an airplane every month with a parachute her team made!!!!

She is a good family friend also, and I am very proud of her too.

That's part of the reason I get mad, when posters in this forum bad mouth Thai people,

Give Thai people a chance and they shine!!!!

• Like 2

Agreed despite all thr pollyanna drivel. As if I'm.afraid to work, I worked hard enough and smart enough to retire simply at 40/2 and was only wotking six mos a year on balance from 35. I never, ever, ever thought Id get married. Ever.

I think I've found the solution, drive Uber/Lyft (although I despise Uber corporation), perhaps Lyft and substitute teach. Driving is small money but its fast money and its income.

Perhaps go out to Vegas and rent a room for a month, try to get a taxi job there - I've no experience driving taxis, don't know LV and very well may be seen as over educated.

If that doesn't pan out there are a few cities that I might be able to find a room for few months then send wife out. Seattle, DC maybe even NY if I can get a room with aunt and unlcle few months.

I wish Uber paid a livong wage, its really dort of perfect. Work my own hours, drive and pick up wife from work...or there I go being negative again. What's not to love,

I agree about CA. Love it but its done. Tax free state, complicated. Sales or income? But on balance I agree and narrowed it down to FL, NV and UT (only bcz the job market is best in US). Seattle is possible only for to dtive Uber.

Florida should be great for Uber but sll the olds prolly no idea how to use smartphones. Thrn you have "Florida Man". All thr crazies and dope. Id ghought aboit trying around larger Palm Beach but know lots of early retirees chauffeuring in towncars. Traffic insane in FL.

Agreed despite all thr pollyanna drivel. As if I'm.afraid to work, I worked hard enough and smart enough to retire simply at 40/2 and was only wotking six mos a year on balance from 35. I never, ever, ever thought Id get married. Ever.

I think I've found the solution, drive Uber/Lyft (although I despise Uber corporation), perhaps Lyft and substitute teach. Driving is small money but its fast money and its income.

Perhaps go out to Vegas and rent a room for a month, try to get a taxi job there - I've no experience driving taxis, don't know LV and very well may be seen as over educated.

If that doesn't pan out there are a few cities that I might be able to find a room for few months then send wife out. Seattle, DC maybe even NY if I can get a room with aunt and unlcle few months.

I wish Uber paid a livong wage, its really dort of perfect. Work my own hours, drive and pick up wife from work...or there I go being negative again. What's not to love,

I agree about CA. Love it but its done. Tax free state, complicated. Sales or income? But on balance I agree and narrowed it down to FL, NV and UT (only bcz the job market is best in US). Seattle is possible only for to dtive Uber.

Florida should be great for Uber but sll the olds prolly no idea how to use smartphones. Thrn you have "Florida Man". All thr crazies and dope. Id ghought aboit trying around larger Palm Beach but know lots of early retirees chauffeuring in towncars. Traffic insane in FL.

Uber driver is a great idea, depending on the right market I believe you can make very good money

I am in NYC right now on business, and I see Uber signs advertising for drivers everywhere, if there was no demand they would not be spending all this money advertising for drivers. They are offering $1500 sign up bonus

I don't believe they require a lot of experience, Why dont you call them or email them and get some info?

I think as an uber driver you will do much better in areas such as NYC, where many people in Manhattan dont own cars and use the service and those in the outlying boroughs use the service to go into Manhattan as they dont want to take their cars there.

Good Luck

Edited by sirineou

I wish Uber paid a living wage, its really dort of perfect. Work my own hours, drive and pick up wife from work...or there I go being negative again. What's not to love,

Uber driver is a great idea, depending on the right market I believe you can make very good money

I am in NYC right now on business, and I see Uber signs advertising for drivers everywhere, if there was no demand they would not be spending all this money advertising for drivers. They are offering $1500 sign up bonus

I don't believe they require a lot of experience, Why dont you call them or email them and get some info?

I think as an uber driver you will do much better in areas such as NYC, where many people in Manhattan dont own cars and use the service and those in the outlying boroughs use the service to go into Manhattan as they dont want to take their cars there.

Good Luck

NYC is possible, but DC a far better fit for me on a few levels. The issue is (one) is that Uber continues to lower fares to the point that drivers are not making money. Now, the company's claim of making 90k was immediately shouted out as total BS. There are within last few day protests against the company, drivets have hit a limit -already. Like all commodities in thus age, its a race to the bottom. Uber has now raised its tske on only NEW drivers five percent to 25% in NYC and keep shovrling discounts at passengers to stay relevant. Then you have all the part timers, I think this is largely what Uber will devolve into. One article I read stated Uber drivers thicknas cockroaches in the Tenderloin on Sat night.

The trouble is you are an IC. So all the taxes, auto exp and ins are on you. In addition, I read you'll be dropped if your insco finds out you are driving people about (rightly so perhaps). Then you have your medical for you and the wife. Next issue I see is I will need to pay far more of a car than otherwise. That is also a cost to business and not only that if the drive prices so low its just not worth it to work, I cant haul stuff and clean garages bcz I bought a sedan, not a truck. For me, that is a big concern bcz you can get work with a truck. An Altima, not do much.

Another huge issue is settling into a large, expensive metro without family, friend to put you up a few months. That really takes the edge off in a number of ways, but I'm working on that for NYC and DC.

NY is just crazy high tax, expensive and cold and Id never, ever, ever live in Jersey. DC is a lovely city.

PS Just the fact yhat I've grown bored and decided to take a teaching position forba year should have signaled something, guess not. Really don't need thb40k for the monumental amounts of work (us5 ph?).

So, just added these and last comments bcz I did not want to see last posts on my own thread bashing me.

Thanks to everyone. Esp Sirenou for a few ideas abt NYC. Yes, seems like best market.

Throught all this, there was not one poster who has been in my position. Seems like most of you never left. To this, you simply have no idea of the risk. Yes, I can go back snd make it work, but I have another person to think about and that is all the difference. The complication of adding her is everything.

What I've leaned from this thread:

1. Don't be negative

2. Go to Las Vegas

Edited by Rocketsurgeon