A shipping container from Thailand to the UK - anyone recently done it?

BIGJIMMY

• Asian Tigers Mobility - HOME
    www.asiantigers-thailand.com/
    Asian Tigers Mobility is a leading provider of international relocation solutions. Each year Asian Tigers Mobility companies move thousands of families to their ...
  • Thailand - Asian Tigers Mobility - HOME
    asiantigers-mobility.com/thailand/home.aspx

Asian Tigers Mobility is a leading provider of international relocation solutions. Each year Asian Tigers Mobility companies move thousands of families to their ...

try these brilliant service door to door not the cheapest but spot on company

• 1 year later...

Yes: did it last year. A 20 foot container (which was stuffed full) cost about 2000 GBP (all quotes through the major movers were around 200,000-300,000 THB).

I did it myself in chunks and it was easy:

-had one company pack stuff and compile an export list (basically just a list of what was in the boxes/container)
-another company pack and ship the container
-company in the UK arrange customs clearance, container pick up and delivery/unpacking

The actual cost of shipping the container is only 800
dollars: the big moving companies massively mark this up.

Everything arrived fine and intact, no delays or problems. PM me if you want more details.

I do not expect any business, removals or otherwise, not to make a profit and I'm sure that all the companies that I engaged at each stage of the process will have done so. I chose to split up the elements of moving and manage it myself as I decided having someone else manage the entire process (which cumulatively took at most a day of my time) for a 150% mark up to be poor value for money.

As my daily rate at work is far in excess of the £250 it would cost a painter, or the 15,000B it cost to have my household goods packed, it makes zero sense for me to do those things myself. It makes even less sense to for me to do it myself given that I am not a painter or professional packer so would be much slower and do a worse job than someone who does it every day for a living...

What does make sense though is it to spend what cumulatively amounted to less than a day of my time managing other people/companies (which is what I do for a living), save thousands of pounds in the process and use said money saved for a couple of nice holidays :-)

For those who don't feel comfortable doing this themselves (or who have a company paying for it) there is the more expensive option of engaging a removals company to do it for you. In which case I would highly recommend Santa Fe: they have moved several friends from Thailand to Europe/Middle
East and I used them myself to move within Bangkok. They also provided one of the most competitive quotes when I initially looked into having a Thai based international mover do it all for me.

The other option which the movers that handled my UK end suggested for future moves (I used Abels in the UK who I would highly recommend: they were brilliant and really know their trade) is to get quotes from a UK company who will liaise with local partners to sort out the packing and transport to port in TH and sort out all the shipping for you plus customs clearance in the UK. They said their ballpark figure for this was around £3,000 and they couldn't believe how much I'd been quoted by the movers in Thailand that I approached.

Lol: it would appear that the poster I was responding to in the post above has decided to delete their nasty vindictive post, that I responded to with facts, when the facts did not back up their nonsensical point of view.