Extension of stay based on marriage no longer possible

I have for years lived in Thailand on an extension of stay based on marriage but due to a change in my work periods I cannot get another annual extension this year, This is because I will leave Thailand well before one month before the expiry date and return after the expiry date.

I am looking at other options and it seems to me that going to Savannakhet and getting a one year non-o based on marriage is the best alternative, but I do have a few questions/concerns;
-Should I do this before my current extension of stay expires or after it has expired already, or does it not matter? Am I even allowed to apply for a new non-o visa before my current extension has expired?
-Presently I do my reporting to the local immigration office every 3 months, but if I get a new visa do I have to actually leave the country every three months?
-if I do get a one year non-o visa in Savannakhet can I apply for a one year extension based on marriage as before before the visa expires?
-If the Savannakhet option does not work and I get an Elite 5 year tourist visa I will have a problem when I need to renew my Thai driving license. Is it possible to obtain non-o visa (let us say just a single entry visa) in addition to the tourist visa just for the purpose of the DL renewal?
Thanks in advancewai2.gif

If it would give you enough time you could get a 60 day extension to visit you wife and get a re-entry permit. Then do the one year extension when you return.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o at any time. You having an extension of stay would have no effect on getting it. If you have a valid re-entry permit that could create a problem on entry to the country though.

You can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you will get from the visa. You do not have to wait for the visa to expire.

"If it would give you enough time you could get a 60 day extension to visit you wife and get a re-entry permit"

I was under the impression that this cannot be applied for any earlier than the annual extension of stay (maximum one month before expiry)?

"If you have a valid re-entry permit that could create a problem on entry to the country though."

I do have a multiple reentry permit so if I get a 1 year non-o before my extension of stay has expired what are my options? It sound like it is better to wait until the present extension of stay has expired?

Also, do you have any advise regarding the Elite option and the issue regarding renewal of Thai driving license? Is it possible to have the 5 year tourist visa and get a single entry non-o at the time the DL expires?

Edited by Becker

Having a multiple re-entry creates a problem because you have to convince the immigration officer to use the visa instead of it.

You can get a 5 year licence with the PE visa (it is not really a tourist visa).

Joining the Elite program may solve your problem (at a cost)

There is no 5 year "tourist visa"

You could return to Thailand using a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa and then visit Savannakhet to obtain a one year multi -entry "O" visa based on marriage .

"Having a multiple re-entry creates a problem because you have to convince the immigration officer to use the visa instead of it."

So what's the worst case scenario? If he does use the multiple reentry visa I guess I have permit to stay until the extension expiry date, while if he uses the new visa I have three months? So worst case I have to leave and reenter Thailand based on the validity of the extension of stay?

"You can get a 5 year licence with the PE visa (it is not really a tourist visa)."

Great news. It makes the Elite visa even more attractive. Who knows how long the Savannakhet consulate will continue to issue these 1 year non-o visas. Are they even allowed to do that? I thought that the Thai government wanted all foreigners married to Thais to do the application of stay inside Thailand? If it is legal then why don't other embassies and consulates issue the same visas? I know, TIT, but still....

Again, thanks to all that bother to answer - this is really important to mewai2.gif smile.png

Edited by Becker

Have the re-enry permit cancelled at immigration and you will not have a problem.

Thanks., but do you mean going to immigration before departing Thailand and have it cancelled? If yes, can I then apply for a new multiple reentry based on the new non-o when I return?

Have the re-enry permit cancelled at immigration and you will not have a problem.

Thanks., but do you mean going to immigration before departing Thailand and have it cancelled? If yes, can I then apply for a new multiple reentry based on the new non-o when I return?

Suggest you re read the thread !

Especially post 2 !

Especially post 2 !

Thank you for your kind suggestion. I have read it, in fact I started it. But my question is not answered in Ubonjoes' very informative post 2. In fact, the reason for my question was that he wrote; " If you have a valid re-entry permit that could create a problem on entry to the country though."

Now I am trying to find out how to best deal with going to Savannakhet with a still valid extension of stay and reentry stamp. Mario kindly answered; "Have the re-enry permit cancelled at immigration and you will not have a problem."

So I have asked if that means going to my local immigration office and have the reentry stamped cancelled there before going to Savannakhet, getting it cancelled when crossing the border going out, or coming back in (if such a thing is even possible at an immigration border station).

Especially post 2 !

Thank you for your kind suggestion. I have read it, in fact I started it. But my question is not answered in Ubonjoes' very informative post 2. In fact, the reason for my question was that he wrote; " If you have a valid re-entry permit that could create a problem on entry to the country though."

Now I am trying to find out how to best deal with going to Savannakhet with a still valid extension of stay and reentry stamp. Mario kindly answered; "Have the re-enry permit cancelled at immigration and you will not have a problem."

So I have asked if that means going to my local immigration office and have the reentry stamped cancelled there before going to Savannakhet, getting it cancelled when crossing the border going out, or coming back in (if such a thing is even possible at an immigration border station).

Short memory ?

This is what was asked

" If yes, can I then apply for a new multiple reentry based on the new non-o when I return?"

What is it you want to know about ?

Those with multiple entry "NON O " visas do not usually also require a "new multiple reentry based on the new non-o when I return" cheesy.gif

Of course if only a single entry "NON O" was being sought "a new multiple reentry based on the new non-o when I return" might seem somewhat expensive at for a visa which only allows a 90 day stay smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

You cancel it at your local immigration office before you leave the country.

If you apply for a multiple non-O, you do not need a new re-entry permit for leaving and re-entering during the time the visa itself is valid.

OP in your situation, I would just leave Thailand then renter on a Visa exempt entry.

Depending on your work pattern for the following 12 months, you could then either;

1. Go to Savannakhet and get a single entry Non Imm O which you can then convert back to an extension of stay based on marriage + multi re-entry permit, or,

2. Go to Savannakhet and get a multi entry Non Imm O which will allow freedom of movement for the next 12 months.

The Elite card is an option, but expensive.

• Like 1

"You can get a 5 year licence with the PE visa (it is not really a tourist visa)."

Great news. It makes the Elite visa even more attractive. Who knows how long the Savannakhet consulate will continue to issue these 1 year non-o visas. Are they even allowed to do that? I thought that the Thai government wanted all foreigners married to Thais to do the application of stay inside Thailand? If it is legal then why don't other embassies and consulates issue the same visas? I know, TIT, but still....

Again, thanks to all that bother to answer - this is really important to mewai2.gif smile.png

It is unlikely to go to that anytime soon (in-country-only extensions). Thailand has different visitors from all over the world. So they have to balance convenience with needs of the country, which includes getting. Marriage is only one of several valid reasons in which to stay in the country long-term.

They can't make it too easy, but they can't make it too difficult to obtain a legal way to enter the country. So different consulates specialize in different categories of visas mainly to cut down on fraud and improve efficiency. If they let every consulate issue every visa type, then abuse at certain consulates would increase dramatically.

Glad to see you had your other questions answered.

Having a multiple re-entry creates a problem because you have to convince the immigration officer to use the visa instead of it.

You can get a 5 year licence with the PE visa (it is not really a tourist visa).

it's not a non-Imm visa either. I couldn't get a 5 year licence with my PE visa, they were very hard-fast that a 5 year renewal required a non-imm visa. That was at the end of March in Chiang mai.

it's not a non-Imm visa either. I couldn't get a 5 year licence with my PE visa, they were very hard-fast that a 5 year renewal required a non-imm visa. That was at the end of March in Chiang mai.

Interesting. So if I got myself an Elite visa could I also get a single entry non-o just for when I had to do the DL renewal, or am I not allowed to have two types of visa at the same time?

You can only have one valid visa at a time.

Whether you will be able to get a 5 year drivers license with a PE visa will depend upon where you apply for it. There are people that have gotten them with tourist visas. At some offices the difference can be if you have a certificate of residence from immigration or your embassy. One from an embassy will only get a 1 year license.

To add to what ubonjoe said, the Elite Membership includes drivers license assistance. Did you contact your TE liaison to assist with paperwork? Perhaps they could have liason-ed with the DL office in Chiang Mai.

Whether you will be able to get a 5 year drivers license with a PE visa will depend upon where you apply for it. There are people that have gotten them with tourist visas. At some offices the difference can be if you have a certificate of residence from immigration or your embassy. One from an embassy will only get a 1 year license.

To add to what ubonjoe said, the Elite Membership includes drivers license assistance. Did you contact your TE liaison to assist with paperwork? Perhaps they could have liason-ed with the DL office in Chiang Mai.

Im not sure if you have membership, or just read it on the Internet, but membership doesn't include drivers license assistance... They will hold your hand at the transport office for a fee, but it's not included. I doubt they'll leverage the transport department to do something dodgy... Even then if they would, I wouldn't expect them too.

Im not sure if you have membership, or just read it on the Internet, but membership doesn't include drivers license assistance... They will hold your hand at the transport office for a fee, but it's not included. I doubt they'll leverage the transport department to do something dodgy... Even then if they would, I wouldn't expect them too.

That's strange. It clearly states om their webpage that assistance in obtaining a driving license is part of the deal.

post-161297-0-80417500-1432045258_thumb.

• Like 1

That's strange. It clearly states om their webpage that assistance in obtaining a driving license is part of the deal.

yep call them on the phone and they'll talk with you, telling you what you need to do to get a license. They're actually really helpful.

That "assistance" is included.

If you want someone to hold your hand at the license centre, and liaise with the officials for you, that assistance comes at an additional cost, it isn't included.

The member book is available to download from the website. 1900 baht for the concierge service, service offered to members, though in your welcome letter, they may offer an EPL complimentary first time service, stating thereafter rates available upon request.

Edited by dickyknee