First passport for 2 year old Brit/Thai

Have been searching old posts for procedures and totally confused by British Embassy website. Can anyone help me with the latest procedure for obtaining a British passport for my half thai 2 year old born and living in Thailand, as the last I had read indicated that this could be done in the Bangkok Embassy, now I'm not so sure. A list of required documents would be helpful.

Edited by gmac

To apply for your child's British passport and the documents required, see Overseas British passport applications

You will need your long form birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, not the short form one which contains only your details.

This is to show whether you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent; see here. As your child was born outside the UK, they will only be British if you are British otherwise than by descent.

If you do not have your long form birth certificate you can order one from the GRO. (That link is for people born in England or Wales. If you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland follow the appropriate link from there.)

• Like 1

To apply for your child's British passport and the documents required, see Overseas British passport applications

You will need your long form birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, not the short form one which contains only your details.

This is to show whether you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent; see here. As your child was born outside the UK, they will only be British if you are British otherwise than by descent.

If you do not have your long form birth certificate you can order one from the GRO. (That link is for people born in England or Wales. If you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland follow the appropriate link from there.)

Thanks very much 7by7 I'll have a look through your links.

1. In light of the rules regarding countersignatories is there any dispensation for applications from Thailand as, although my wife knows a number of professional Thai people, I have no contact with anyone from any of the permitted countries who has the necessary qualification to countersign the application. I am dubious about relying on the final paragraph in the notes which imply that you pay your money and then wait for the passport office to make contact before proceeding or not as the mood takes them. With constant stories of delays in the UK passport Office anyway I am loathe to take a chance on submitting a less than complete application.

2. The countersignatory must:

• be a professional person (including those who

are retired) for example, bank or building-

society officials, police officers, civil servants, ministers of religion and people with professional qualifications like teachers, accountants,

engineers and solicitors – you can find a full list at www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

• have known you personally for at least two years, and

• hold a British, Irish or other EU, US, or Commonwealth passport (in that order of preference) which has not run out. We will be able to process applications more quickly where the countersignatory has a British or Irish passport.

• if you cannot comply with the countersignatory requirements your application may be delayed. You must provide a full explanation in Section 8 and we will contact you, using the details on your application form, to agree a way forward.