Victory ! Taxis Will Stand At Airport !

cclub75

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope taxis will be available.

Take the bus system at Paris Charles De Gaulle, it's a pain in the *

Find the correct exit whilst trailing your luggage, then find the correct bus (I sometimes got into the wrong bus, not getting me to the fast train station) it's no fun to level your luggage into the bus and have it placed in the racks etc etc. I would just get into a taxi withouth hassle.

Some airports at least have the train station right into the airport, just take an elevator or rollstairway to get into dep/arrival hall, see Amsterdam, Frankfurt.

Would they learn someting in LOS looking at other airports you would guess?

Opening an new airport without train link, withouth taxis? BRILLIANT. :o

Great news :o

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole idea of banning them from curbside and making more room for airport buses was to try to alleviate this problem by getting people to start using the airport buses instead. Huge numbers of passengers at most major airports around the world make extensive use of airport buses, but to my knowledge they were never very popular at Don Muang. I never even new they existed there until recently. Hopefully this will change at Suvarnabhumi and it will become more civilized.

They weren't trying to make more room for airport buses, they were trying to make room for their overpriced limousine service.

I've used buses at Don Muang couple of times and they were quite full (there is also a luggage rack there). However, there are two problems with those:

- they depart only every 30 minutes. Thus if the bus has just left, it doesn't make much sense to wait for a new one.

- they are quite expensive if you aren't travelling alone. For two people bus would cost 200B and taxi about 300B, for three people the price would be the same.

In the pdf it was mentioned that airport buses will serve "first class hotels". I hope that this isn't true, airport buses should serve all important hotel areas frequently.

Will they still require a 50 Baht surcharge/tax/ripoff to take the taxi from the airport like what is presently done at Don Muang

I will be very suprised if the surcharge will be only 50B. It will probably be increased (to 100B for example) just like every other fee at the new airport.

If the airport buses are the same as you describe at Don Muang, then I think I'd give them a miss at Suvarnabhumi. Can't see waiting 30 minutes for a bus when the maximum waiting time at most airports is 10 or 15 minutes. Though I suppose the main factor in the waiting time would be how many passengers are taking the buses. At 100THB per passenger, though, I see it as a bit of a problem given the current pricing of taxis being not much more. Especially when you add in a short taxi ride from the bus stop to your final destination for those who aren't staying at the targeted luxury hotels they serve. In most countries, taking a bus is something like 10% of the price of a cab. A huge savings and enough for huge numbers of people to opt for the bus, even if 2 or 3 people are travelling together. At only 30% of the price of a cab, it sounds like they're pricing themselves out of a huge market.

Some airports at least have the train station right into the airport, just take an elevator or rollstairway to get into dep/arrival hall, see Amsterdam, Frankfurt.

I think you have to give them a bit more leeway on the train link. Train links take a long time and are quite expensive to build. Would you rather they delay the opening of the airport until the train link is completed? There isn't a train link at Don Muang, so it's not like they're going backwards in that respect. In Korea, they opened a new airport 5 years ago but the train link won't be finished until next year. At least in Thailand it should be ready within two years or so. It would be great if they could have completed the train link in time for the opening, but I certainly am happy they're opening the new airport now instead of waiting. Don Muang is way overdue for being retired.

I sometimes think that if the taxis were completely free and came with equpped with a DVD player, people on here would complain that the choice of DVDs was too limited.
It's the <removed> principle! You get it? :o Edited by meemiathai

Train links take a long time and are quite expensive to build. .......... At least in Thailand it should be ready within two years or so.

Ever the optimist, aren't you Soju? :o

Last I heard, the train link was scheduled to be completed next year (2007), so figuring double that time to "two years or so" I didn't think was being too optimistic. Though certainly wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed some beyond that.

'At 100THB per passenger, though, I see it as a bit of a problem given the current pricing of taxis being not much more.'

Last week i was told by one of the bus drivers already running the service at the Bus station on the City routes that the price was standard 40 baht for the express bus into town.

Bus Station

'At 100THB per passenger, though, I see it as a bit of a problem given the current pricing of taxis being not much more.'

Last week i was told by one of the bus drivers already running the service at the Bus station on the City routes that the price was standard 40 baht for the express bus into town.

Bus Station

You might need to differentiate between designated airport buses which seem set to charge around 100 Baht and the "orange" city bus routes which go to the airport (or the drop-off point 3 km away) which I am confident will charge a lot less.

I do hope taxis will be available.

Take the bus system at Paris Charles De Gaulle, it's a pain in the *

Find the correct exit whilst trailing your luggage, then find the correct bus (I sometimes got into the wrong bus, not getting me to the fast train station) it's no fun to level your luggage into the bus and have it placed in the racks etc etc. I would just get into a taxi withouth hassle.

I have to disagree about Paris. I lived there for 2.5 years before moving here and had to use the airport very frequently (min once a week).

If departing from Terminal 2 and the Terminal 3 (was called T9 until 1.5 years back) you can walk quite easily from the RER station. Even if you had to use the bus its very easy to get the correct one if you read the route sign next to the bus stop :D

But I actually found the best route to Paris CDG to be the Air France bus, direct from Etoile/Concorde hotel to whichever terminal you want (except T3) 20 euro return :D simple to find, easy to use.

AOT could learn a lot from CDG on how to integrate the public transportation system with the airport. For me though even when the train link is complete it won't be much use....I live out by Ram Inthra Rd (Fashion Island) so don't really have much choice but to use a Taxi or long term parking :D

Edited by moonoi

I have to disagree about Paris. I lived there for 2.5 years before moving here and had to use the airport very frequently (min once a week).

If departing from Terminal 2 and the Terminal 3 (was called T9 until 1.5 years back) you can walk quite easily from the RER station. Even if you had to use the bus its very easy to get the correct one if you read the route sign next to the bus stop :D

But I actually found the best route to Paris CDG to be the Air France bus, direct from Etoile/Concorde hotel to whichever terminal you want (except T3) 20 euro return :o simple to find, easy to use.

AOT could learn a lot from CDG on how to integrate the public transportation system with the airport. For me though even when the train link is complete it won't be much use....I live out by Ram Inthra Rd (Fashion Island) so don't really have much choice but to use a Taxi or long term parking :D

I depart/arrive terminal 1 and take TGV. The shuttle bus is an unnessary hassle and I could do without, therefore the Schiphol (Amsterdam) and Frankfurt examples are ideal: trains arriving underground at lower levels arrivals/departures. That's the perfect commuter solution. I remember Zurich to be the same. Please learn something from these airports.

But I actually found the best route to Paris CDG to be the Air France bus, direct from Etoile/Concorde hotel to whichever terminal you want (except T3) 20 euro return :D simple to find, easy to use.

I depart/arrive terminal 1 and take TGV. The shuttle bus is an unnessary hassle and I could do without, therefore the Schiphol (Amsterdam) and Frankfurt examples are ideal: trains arriving underground at lower levels arrivals/departures. That's the perfect commuter solution. I remember Zurich to be the same. Please learn something from these airports.

Well you can't complain too much bearing in mind that part of the airport was built before anyone thought about integrating public transportation systems with that of the airports. Bet you must love the rubber escalators :o

The confirmation is confirmed....

From Nation today.

Taxis will pick you up at airport's first floor

Metered taxis will now be allowed to pick up arriving passengers at Suvarnabhumi's Passenger Terminal Building, following a meeting of the Airports of Thailand (AOT).

"There will be enough public taxis standing by on the first floor of the Passenger Terminal Building, while larger numbers will be available at the Public Transportation Centre," said an AOT spokesperson. "Passengers can easily follow the signs and walk down from the Arrival Hall on the second floor to the first floor for metered taxis."

According to the initial plan, taxis were to be banned from picking up passengers at the airport terminal to avoid traffic congestion. Passengers were supposed to take a shuttle bus to pick up taxis at the Public Transportation Centre.

However, the AOT changed its decision following public criticism over the shortage of shuttle buses, especially during peak arrival hours.

Phoowadon Duangmee, the nation

The 50 baht fee for airport taxis was introduced due to some very high profile Japanese and Korean tourists being robbed and then Killed by Taxi drivers who picked up these fare from Don Mung

The concession was introduced as a way of registering the taxi driver, vehicle and the required destination of the passenger ….absolutely not for anything else other than to make tourist agencies at the time happy…it has now turned into a big money spinner

:o

We are not living in a dream world. So far there aren't Skytrain and Metro lines.

So far you have to catch a taxi and it seems to be the more effective way to go anywhere.

Last july I used one of the so called 'transfer' buses to change terminal in BKK. It was fine for me because I'm young and I can handle a 27kg luggage. It wasn't that easy for another couple of people that were in their '60. Those buses aren't the bus that you would use for transferring people in/out an airport. Not much space for luggages and (small) stairs to climb aren't really things that make a bus 'user-friendly' especially if you are just landed from a 10h flight or you are a women or not anymore young.

Something smart would be a free bus ride to the nearest Skytrain/Metro station PLUS the possibility to use a taxi.

All of this is IMO.

g.

Will the old trick at Don Muang also work at Suvarnabhumi? That is, walk to departure hall (upstairs) after you have arrived. There you can get a taxi without surcharges, without waiting.

//Lopburi

Well, it depends on how the new terminal is constructed. Will it be easy and convenient for arriving passengers to walk to the departure hall to get a cab? I admit, at don muang that is very easy; you just take the lift to departure hall, it won´t take many minutes extra.

Will the old trick at Don Muang also work at Suvarnabhumi? That is, walk to departure hall (upstairs) after you have arrived. There you can get a taxi without surcharges, without waiting.

//Lopburi

Well, it depends on how the new terminal is constructed. Will it be easy and convenient for arriving passengers to walk to the departure hall to get a cab? I admit, at don muang that is very easy; you just take the lift to departure hall, it won´t take many minutes extra.

Same a SA easy just take the lift or moving stairs with Luggage up or down conecting both arrivals and departures. As for New Bus around the Aiport it has low floors and room for Luggage now.

see the pictures here and in Transport Centre

Terminal building

There isn't a train link at Don Muang, so it's not like they're going backwards in that respect.

Has this person ever been to Don Muang?

Admittedly, I think the infrequent trains mean it's not very useful, but there is definitely a rail link, so the lack of a rail link is definitely a step backwards.

A work in progress...

Airport taxis to be increased to 10,000

Can pick up, drop off, surcharge to be levied

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The number of taxis operating out of Suvarnabhumi airport will be increased from 2,500 to 10,000 and those dropping passengers off will be allowed to take passengers on return trips, said Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri yesterday. He said the measures were meant to provide more service choices for passengers and boost transportation convenience for them.

Gen Chainant's decision was apparently made in response to concerns raised by many people that they would have a hard time finding taxis to take them from the city to the airport.

Earlier, authorities said taxis operating out of the airport would have to register with the airport authority and non-registered cabs would not be allowed to pick up passengers from the airport.

However, Gen Chainant said the Airports of Thailand (AoT) is likely to collect a 100 baht surcharge per trip from cabs taking passengers from the airport. He said he would hold a meeting today with representatives from the Land Transport, AoT and agencies responsible for public transportation to discuss transportation problems at the airport.

The AoT has planned to set up a business unit responsible to provide public transport services.

AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said so far the agency has not yet issued an announcement on cab surcharges. But the rate may be 100 baht per trip.

The surcharge would provide more convenience to passengers as they would not have to wait for cabs for so long, said Mr Chotisak.

Gen Chainant's statement came after caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit said yesterday the government would urgently tackle transportation problems at the airport.

Taxis picking up passengers from the terminals would be registered and their number would be increased to meet demand.

Mr Suriya also said the authorities would ensure that Suvarnabhumi airport would be a mafia-free zone and those mafia figures or gangs who planned to move their base from Don Muang airport to the new airport would face a severe crackdown. He said he has instructed Gen Chainant not to allow the presence of any mafia people or gangs at the new airport.

Meanwhile, Land Transport Department chief Piyapan Champasut said he disagreed with the AoT's plan to set up a business unit to operate public transport services, saying public transport should not be business-oriented.

He also opposed any move to collect parking fees from state-run Bangkok Mass Transit Authority's passenger buses and buses operated by the Transport Co. The planned collection of parking fees would discourage passenger buses from picking up passengers at the airport.

Opas Phetmunee, acting director of BMTA, said his agency will operate three more bus routes to the new airport: a 41.5km route between the southern bus terminal and Suvarnabhumi airport, Wong Wian Yai to Suvarnabhumi covering 53km and Central Plaza Rama II to the new airport covering 48km.

The fares will be collected based on travelling distance with the maximum fare of 35 baht.

A public relations campaign for the new routes will be launched on Sept 25, said Mr Opas.

The number of taxis operating out of Suvarnabhumi airport will be increased from 2,500 to 10,000 and those dropping passengers off will be allowed to take passengers on return trips, said Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri yesterday. He said the measures were meant to provide more service choices for passengers and boost transportation convenience for them.

Gen Chainant's decision was apparently made in response to concerns raised by many people that they would have a hard time finding taxis to take them from the city to the airport.

More proof that the authorities read Thai Visa :o

When you get to the airport you quickly load your luggage on a trolley and that's it. With shuttle buses you lose the trolley and lug everything on the bus, off the bus, and into the taxi - who needs the aggravation?

How long will it take to load everyone's luggage on a bus? Then wait to offload it. Then how are you going to haul it to your cab? Another trolley?

Charging people 100 baht extra for the convenience to take the cab from the departures is a brilliant idea.

100 baht is not much, but in Thailand it's a 5 kilometer taxi ride. For what? Rip off.

Mr Suriya also said the authorities would ensure that Suvarnabhumi airport would be a mafia-free zone and those mafia figures or gangs who planned to move their base from Don Muang airport to the new airport would face a severe crackdown. He said he has instructed Gen Chainant not to allow the presence of any mafia people or gangs at the new airport.

:o:D

:o:D

Here we go! Here we go! rip off united are let in. No more published meter charges its up to US not you how much you pay. Plus surcharge Plus toll way Plus Plus Plus....

Edited by Boxer

What a bunch of whingers.

If anyone can show me a cheaper airport to city regular taxi fare than that which we enjoy in Bangkok, with the route being relatively the same distance, I will be greatly impressed. And we are whinging over a few baht?

Some that I know of and go to regularly:

Sydney - no change from 1000 baht

Melbourne - no change from 1400 baht

London heathrow - dont even think about it

Tokyo - the price of a house in Buriram

Jakarta - about 600 baht if you want to take the risk with those thieves

Manila - 300-400 baht for a trip a third of the distance in non-meter cars

Singapore - 400-500 baht for a trip a third of the distance

Chicago - no change from 1800 baht

New York - no change from 2200 baht

Hong Kong - forget it

Shanghai - same same

Taipei - the price of two houses in Buriram

Ho Chi Minh City - 200-250 baht for a trip shorter than a topped 3 wood

Stop moaning. We have it pretty good, and the quality of cars is getting better, and rip-offs are getting scarcer.

Edited by bendix

Wouldn't you think the price for a metered taxi with tolls would fit the bill?

Why all the shit of mafia, shuttle buses, and AOT changing the target on a daily basis. It's simple, these people are plain idiots: running airports. LOL

They should learn to play with Dinky toys first.

So they got a world class airport and world class taxis, now they want to charge world class prices. Fine, people can afford that.

At Don Muang Thailand was right in your face once you pass the sliding doors, at SA people will have to wait a little longer - until they disembark their taxis.

Seasoned travellers will of course learn to avoif the whole business and catch cabs from arrivals.

Nothing new under the Sun.