Prayut will stay on if draft charter rejected

webfact

Prayut will stay on if draft charter rejected
THE NATION

30259958-01_big.jpg

REFERENDUM COULD TEST THE PUBLIC'S VIEW ON LENGTH OF HIS REGIME

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday he would stay in power to oversee a new drafting process if the draft constitution was rejected by the public.

He said a new process would automatically begin if the current draft was rejected, either through a referendum or by other means, including by the international community.

The prime minister, who is also head of the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said he would not commit himself to how long he would cling to power, adding that things were already laid out in the road map stipulated by the interim charter.

Asked if he would yield to calls to stay on longer if the Kingdom was still not "peaceful", Prayut replied that he would not be the one to decide whether the country is peaceful or not.

He said people creating rifts in society must be told to stop so the country can return to democracy.

Prayut said it was up to the voters to ensure that reforms laid out by his military regime would be carried out by a new elected administration.

Asked whether an election would be held right away if the charter was accepted, he said things must be done step by step and carefully, adding that he could not predict whether the draft charter would be approved.

He stressed that he was confident that all of the effort since he seized control from an elected government would not go to waste as long as he is still around.

"I can't be confident if I am no longer around [in power], however, because you will be choosing [a new administration]," Prayut said.

He said some mechanisms or groups of people were needed to ensure that the reforms would continue even without him and the NCPO.

"But don't drag me in. I don't won't to get involved with it."

Deep-rooted problems

A proposal to hold a referendum on whether Prayut should continue in his post for another two years was made out of concern over deep-rooted problems facing the country, National Reform Committee member Paiboon Nititawan said yesterday.

He said it was not just the military-appointed NRC but many of the charter writers who were concerned that the country was in dire need of systematic reform that takes time to bring about.

Rushing to hold a general election next year could plunge the country into political chaos again if reform is not achieved, he warned.

If most people agreed that Prayut should be in power for another two years, his government would have legitimacy, otherwise the West would take him to task, Paiboon said.

If the people disapproved of prolonging the military regime, the election would be held as scheduled.

He said if there were a referendum on the charter draft and it were voted down, critics would allege that it was rejected so that the Prayut regime could stay in power to write a new draft. "The Prayut government would face public pressure to take responsibility that the charter draft was rejected. The country would face political instability," the NRC member said.

However, if a referendum showed public support for Prayut to continue in power for another two years, the government would not only be able come up with a new draft but could also continue "solving the country's problems" for two years.

The proposal came up after Prayut called last month for his supporters to help him find a legal venue to cling to power in order to bring about reform and solve what he claimed were the country's "deep-rooted problems".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-will-stay-on-if-draft-charter-rejected-30259958.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-13

Option 1. Vote yes to the charter, get everything the General wants.

Option 2. Vote no to the charter, get the General.

If only all choices in life were so simple!

Option 1. Vote yes to the charter, get everything the General wants.... and maybe the General for another 2, 3, 4...years anyway?

My favorite show is his rambling every Friday. Even the live press conferences he does that are not translated are fascinating to watch. His actions and body language indicate he thinks he is untouchable and he knows it. He isn't going to give up absolute power unless something big occurs like the UN looking into the south for human rights violations.

The EU fishing ban will be followed by the U.S. doing something similar and he will consolidate power under Chinese guidance even further.

As soon as protesters start being shot his days are numbered and the west will start sanctions. It's just a matter of time before the masses have had enough.

Mr "My Way or the highway" has done it again!!

Put the foot in his mouth..........................

Of course he is waiting for the music to stop playing, so the feudal masters can get their "rightful" chairs!!

Time for a counter-coup??

Perhaps they came up with a new crap charter knowing it would be rejected just so they can stay in power ... perhaps

There are probably clauses in the new charter that nobody would accept, and the general knows that. He has been trying to avoid a referendum for 6 months now, but as he probably will not get away with that, he has to invent other routes to make sure that the public doesn't want a referendum.

At the end it will be the same anyway because, this full of himself bully, will never give up power neither with or without a rejected referendum.

If Suthep took the role of John the Baptist, then the general is the true messiah, bringing a new testament of hope and happiness, how could anything not turn out wonderfully? And just like new testament, besides promise of eternal salvation, there is that stick of eternal fire for unbelievers. And the elite so loved Thailand that they gave them their general to lead them from the wilderness and off a cliff...

I for one would be glad to see the General stay on for another 2 years. He has done more, for Thailand, since May 2014 than any other PM. IMO Thailand's main problem is corruption and he is tackling it more than it has been before. To change a country takes time and we are beginning to see changes. I hope they continue.

Can anyone name a better PM and list their achievements?

I also hope at the next general election he stands for office then we will really know how popular he is with the Thai people. If I had a vote I would vote for him.

If Suthep took the role of John the Baptist, then the general is the true messiah, bringing a new testament of hope and happiness, how could anything not turn out wonderfully? And just like new testament, besides promise of eternal salvation, there is that stick of eternal fire for unbelievers. And the elite so loved Thailand that they gave them their general to lead them from the wilderness and off a cliff...

Hallelujah brother! but Judas where art thou?

I for one would be glad to see the General stay on for another 2 years. He has done more, for Thailand, since May 2014 than any other PM. IMO Thailand's main problem is corruption and he is tackling it more than it has been before. To change a country takes time and we are beginning to see changes. I hope they continue.

I also hope at the next general election he stands for office then we will really know how popular he is with the Thai people. If I had a vote I would vote for him.

Maybe you could start with listing the achievements, other than removing beach chairs, but I'm afraid it gonna be a very short list.

Can you please list the PM's achievements? You could write them on the back of a Lilliputian's stamp

Today's BP reports he'd 'rejected calls to extend his time'. Wish he'd make up his mind.

BTW, before the usual posters jump on the 'well, who else is there bandwagon', may I remind you no one else has been allowed to participate in this so called reform process, which may have thrown some light on other competent individuals as yet unheard of. They are out there.

Maybe you could start with listing the achievements, other than removing beach chairs, but I'm afraid it gonna be a very short list.

All things take time but it has started

1. Corruption is the first thing that the general is tackling.The ex head of CBI in prison now and a few others. 3 ex MPs were impeached last week with criminal proceedings to follow.

2. Reclaiming land from forest encroachment is underway.

3. Jet skies from some beaches in Phuket.

4. Overpricing of lottery tickets.

5. A serious effort to stop Human trafficking started this month.

6. Overpricing by private hospitals is being dealt with

That is a short list but I think these efforts are worthy of note there are many more.

Now can you or anyone name a PM that has done more.

1. Corruption is the first thing that the general is tackling.The ex head of CBI in prison now and a few others. 3 ex MPs were impeached last week with criminal proceedings to follow.

That is a short list but I think these efforts are worthy of note there are many more.

So from your list only point 1 was achieved, and we all know that there are other reasons behind that ( which should not be discussed), while all other 5 points are "underway" or have failed so far.

So no achievements so far.

NEXT

edit: and no there are no other PM's that has done more, but they also didn't stand on a soap box shouting that they were superman.

Edited by Anthony5

So from your list only point 1 was achieved, and we all know that there are other reasons behind that ( which should not be discussed), while all other 5 points are "underway" or have failed so far.

So no achievements so far.

NEXT

But you still can't name a better PM?

Does not electing themselves count?

I think LuckyLew is right.maybe the idea is to.create a charter that they know will be rejected. When it is they will have to stick around for another couple of years while they create another which will also be knowingly unacceptable and round and round we go.

This is all contingent of course on the educated 'trash' as he respectfully calls some of 'his' people.... You know, the ones he came to save,....( oh sorry my mistake....he came to protect those with a pot load of money didn't he), don't see what is happening. I think they already know what they are up to.

What they , like many coup leaders, fail to realise is that whilst they hold a gun to the heads of the people they think they are untouchable.

But there are nations and their leaders with other agendas.

And now they are finding mass graves in the South which they all deny any knowledge of, of course, and the principal architect, allegedly, is allowed to do a runner with his pot if gold, ( some of which he no doubt spent arranging his exit), this internal affairs is suddenly making people have a look.

Other countries cannot intervene in internal Thai affairs.

Visibly, militarily of course they won't.

But there is more than one way to bring a country to its knees.

Forget the UN, You know that organisation with the effectiveness of soggy toilet paper, if Europe and the US wanted to they could bring this country to a halt in months.

Sanctions and financial restrictions on an already beleaguered economy would cripple it.

Where do the 'leaders' go then? China? And they will. God help us

Problem is of course that the only people affected by sanctions and other financial restrictions would be his 'trash' and they don't care much about them anyway. The rich and corrupt with their stashes under the bed would be ok thank you very much indeed.

So it looks like this will roll on and on until someone says 'that's it we've had enough'

And then it's really going to hit the fan.

So we wait for a constitution that allows a 'free' vote. With the proviso that only those who are 'approved' by whatever committee is set up to approve them, can stand for election. And all those potential opponents won't be approved and that's is how dictatorships protect their 'majority' and prevent electoral defeat.

All military representatives of courses receiving automatic approval.

Is there a Thai equivalent of Aung San Suu Kyi?

Those who know their political history in this part of the world cannot fail to recognise some of the remarkable similarities with what transpired in Burma from 1962 onwards.

I don't think anyone is expecting to happen here what eventually happened in Burma when it went out of control so I suppose that's something to be thankful for.

I just cannot see how there can be a solution to this now that satisfies Thai people, and it is Thai people that will have to be satisfied. And not just the privileged few.

What a great shame for such a potentially wonderful country and the majority of its people.

Those in authority 'Claiming' to be Buddhist should take a note from the teachings of The Lord Buddha...........

"Everything is not self"