Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

So, if you want someone murdered in Thailand, don't have the hit-man use a gun. Just have him run down the target on the sidewalk with some beat-up used car and confess and say it was an 'accident', "I dropped my cell phone" (any excuse will work as long as the driver confesses).. Save a lot of money and no one goes to jail.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?

This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

There were only ten sentences in the OP and the very first one highlighted the suspension. So the thesis sentence, in bold print, taking up ten percent of the article, states clearly that the sentence was suspended and you are still arguing with it, after accusing me and others of having an agenda because we cited the facts. It is you that has an agenda. And it is a sour and rancid one.

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?
This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

There were only ten sentences in the OP and the very first one highlighted the suspension. So the thesis sentence, in bold print, taking up ten percent of the article, states clearly that the sentence was suspended and you are still arguing with it, after accusing me and others of having an agenda because we cited the facts. It is you that has an agenda. And it is a sour and rancid one.

Yes, not suspended. I have no agenda and only accused one member here of having an agenda. And sorry, but the only sour and rancid one here seems to be you, it certainly is not me

So it looks like Farangs are worth 7500 THB, I thought it would have been less,

RIP Chilean guy,travel the world and get mowed down in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

He was not farang( white, caucasian).

Covered before in depth - "farang" means "foreigner"

You are wrong. Show this pic to any Thai and ask if this person is farang?

post-228573-0-25983200-1431524497_thumb.

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

Yes, in the US the law sees a basic difference between vehicular homicide (premeditated or criminal action, like speeding or wreckless driving) and vehicular manslaughter (unintentional, accident) that results in the death of a person other than the driver. Even in the States the fine for vehicular manslaughter can be $1000 and up to a year in jail, which can be reduced to probation or a few months in jail--just talking to my cousin, a lawyer in Florida.

But that depends on the State involved. In California for example if a driver was sending a text message from their cell phone while driving causing them to hit a bicyclist and killing them this would be considered manslaughter/gross vehicular manslaughter with a maximum felony sentence of six years in a state prison.

In fact I have never seen any reports as to whether the truck driver was distracted in any way and whether this was a contributing factor to the accident.

But just based on observing the number of Thai drivers and motorcyclists who do use their mobile telephones when driving/riding in the most inappropriate driving conditions it wouldn't be surprising.

And who thinks it’s likely that the police would ever have made any distinction in this case regarding the nature of the charges even if the truck driver had been on the mobile at the time of this accident ?rolleyes.gif

Yes, state laws differ. In some states using the cell phone while driving is illegal; which may make killing a person while using a cell phone vehicular homicide, since you are breaking a law when you killed the person. Thailand has no such cell phone law, so unless there is proof the driver was doing something against the law, it would be considered an accident; or in stateside terms, vehicular manslaughter.

That is what a so called Buddhist country, thinks your life is worth!

this country has got to be the most backward on the planet ,you get caught with drugs go to prison, you kill someone you get fined 150 pound ,living in a country with retarded primates , the driver should be banged up

If I am correct these are 2 of the statements made by quit a few people here:

The perpetrator got off so easy because he only killed a foreigner through his reckless driving.

He would have been sent away for a long time if he killed a Thai person with some influence.

So, again I am asking myself; why would anyone in their right state of mind stay in a country where his life is worth f all?

Edited by DaveinAsia

Of course the Thai truck driver didn't intend to kill the poor biker.

But it raises an interesting question, to what extent are we legally and morally responsible, when we get behind the wheel??

Guess we all have had some near misses, when we lacked concentration for a couple of seconds when driving.

Normally and thankfully nothing happens, but if luck not had been on our side, we could have been in the same situation as the truck driver.

So in case of a pure accident (no alcohol, no drugs, no mobile), does it really serve any purpose to sentence the driver to jail time and potentially spoil the life of another person and his family?

Don't have the answer, just asking the question. Appreciate your thoughts........................coffee1.gif

Life is cheap, in the land of smiles! bah.gif

Sadly, it seems like this is particularly true if you are a foreigner killed--either accidentally or purposefully--by a Thai; be it in a bar, on a bicycle, in a taxi, on a beach, in a 'hidden' detention camp or on a fishing boat. What deterrence? If you're actually caught (doubtful), just confess and it will be a simple 300 to 7500 baht fine. When it is a Thai who is killed, and the perp is a wealthy Hi-So, the results are exactly the same.

How can one reasonably expect things to change for the better?

This sends a clear message. Not the correct message but the message is still there.

I hate to say this.. but this reminds me that Thailand has a long way to go before it's anything but a third world country.

Edited by wow64

(Posted by Blackfox)You make my farking blood boil BKK Equity.
"GUEST IN"...I've been in and out of Thailand for 25 years. I'm 44 years of age now.
I've travelled the world and assisted in 2 major accidents. One in Guatemala and one home in Aus. Everyone dead, although I did my best.
Thai gentility and Buddhist preservation of life. A great farking hypocrisy.
I'm married and love my Thai wife but shit like this and numerous others have me thinking of my real home.
My condolences go to the families and loved ones who have suffered in similar circumstances.
I drive here in BKK every day mate and I'm fast, efficient but cautious.
How would you cope BKK Equity if the RTP and family of a dear loved one who's life you brought to an unplanned close on these roads now desired to extract as much of that foreign currency from you as they could, or go to prison.
My question; would you pay up to avoid time in Khlong Prem or, do your time in penance for the satisfaction of the public and more so families directly affected?

Yes Blackfox ... "Guest in". Here is the test. Are you a Thai Citizen? Guessing that is a "no"
Sort of like a Hotel, you can check in many times as you like, and guess what the ledger title is?
"Guest."

As to the rest of your rant:

(1) Not quite sure being involved in fatal accidents on the other side of the planet has much to do with this.
(2) Happy you have a nice Thai wife .. that has bearing on this ... why?
(3) You are a good driver. And so what does that have to do with this?
(4) Where in this story is someone being hijacked by the RTP to pay a large sum of "foreign currency" or face prison time. I believe we are discussing the fact a Thai Citizen has to pay 7,500 THB for having an accident.

Are you sure we are commenting on the same topic. or do you just need a sounding board to post a series of disjointed thoughts?

it is sad that you are .. so unhappy. But heads up dear friend: This may come as a nasty surprise, so please sit down.

OK, ready? It is not all about you! That is right! People can have conversations that do not hinge on your little world and what happens in it! Shocking .. but true !!!

Now take your meds and have a nap, will you?

But it raises an interesting question, to what extent are we legally and morally responsible, when we get behind the wheel??

Guess we all have had some near misses, when we lacked concentration for a couple of seconds when driving.

Normally and thankfully nothing happens, but if luck not had been on our side, we could have been in the same situation as the truck driver.

So in case of a pure accident (no alcohol, no drugs, no mobile), does it really serve any purpose to sentence the driver to jail time and potentially spoil the life of another person and his family?

Don't have the answer, just asking the question. Appreciate your thoughts........................coffee1.gif

Good question..In my opinion the driver is already punished. Because he will never be able to forget about this event. Sure I'm afraid even to imagine myself in this situation..But it's just my opinion. Because I understand it's not easy to know if some person regret his doings or not..If he is truly sorry or just pretend. O.k., I don't have answer as well.

So it looks like Farangs are worth 7500 THB, I thought it would have been less,

RIP Chilean guy,travel the world and get mowed down in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

He was not farang( white, caucasian).

Covered before in depth - "farang" means "foreigner"

white caucasian = farang

Good question..In my opinion the driver is already punished. Because he will never be able to forget about this event. Sure I'm afraid even to imagine myself in this situation..But it's just my opinion. Because I understand it's not easy to know if some person regret his doings or not..If he is truly sorry or just pretend. O.k., I don't have answer as well.

Fair assumption from a western or civilized culture. Conscience is not a highly developed attribute and come a poor second to accountability in this country. I am sure that he will attribute his good fate to one of his amulets with little thought or remorse to what he has done.

I keep saying that there is no safety Net in Thailand, & not many people have common sense. if you are not aware of this, you won't live long in Thailand.

What an ignorant, arrogant statement. Oh racist as well.

Most tourist have absolutely no clue about the dangers in Thailand. Living in Thailand is like owning a motorcycle, while riding it you feel exhilarated, free and in control of your own destiny but when the ride is over and you admire the bike. You start to remember the close calls of cars pulling out in front of you, trucks trying to side swipe you, the dog or other animal running in your way. You say damn want I am thinking about riding that dangerous machine I am bound to get killed I need to sell it if I plan to grow old. I guess I need to sell our house and move back to...

Thai Justice!!! Foreigners get fined 2000 baht for smoking in Lumphini Park, ... Thais get fined 7,500 for killing someone! Like my friend, a Farang, was attacked and almost killed by three Thai males, (can't call these chickens men) they beat him with lengths of hard wood and put him in hospital and would have killed him if others had not intervened! They each got a fine of 2000 baht, .....

Has it occurred to you defending this that holding Thais to different standards and saying that they do not 'feel the same' is paternalistic and racist. You're saying westerners are adults and Thais are children. They are not - and need to be held to the same standards.

Edited by BudRight