Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist goes free

By Coconuts Bangkok

cyclist.head__2.jpg

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

Nakhon Ratchasima deputy commander Pol. Col. Wanat Atthakawin revealed Monday the province's Bua Yai court sentenced truck driver Thiwarat Chaipidet, 64, to a year of jail term and THB7,500 fine for his reckless driving. The original fine and two-year sentence were halved because he confessed.

Guillermo was on a five-year mission to cycle 250,000 kilometers across five continents and set a Guinness World Record. He was eight months from finishing when Thiwarats truck swerved into his lane and struck him on Feb. 21 in front of his wife and 2-year-old son, who were also injured.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/05/13/truck-driver-who-killed-chilean-cyclist-gets-goes-free

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-13

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you laugh or do you cry??

Mr P "We are going to get serious about the road killings"

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

Do you laugh or do you cry??

Mr P "We are going to get serious about the road killings"

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

Does look like there is no class justice then.. both get off free.. though I find the Na Ayudhya case worse as there were more deaths.

Instead of throwing people in jail for years in case something bad happens, there should be a serious enforcement of revoking driving licenses in case of endangering other road users. If people then keep on driving without license, then its time to throw them in jail.

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

Has the point escaped you that most posters on here and the other current threads are in fact sickened by the lack of appropriate punishment and the "slap on the wrist" attitude? Agree that a few are playing the Thai-foreigner game, but the real issue with most posters revolves around the concept of "let the punishment fit the crime". Not whether it is negligent behavior or premeditated murder.

I can guarantee you that negligent driving causing death will almost certainly net a much higher fine and / or incarceration / loss of licence, etc, in most other western societies.

Where's the necessity to drive carefully when the consequences are minimal or non-existent.

What's embarrassing is your defence.

Instead of throwing people in jail for years in case something bad happens, there should be a serious enforcement of revoking driving licenses in case of endangering other road users. If people then keep on driving without license, then its time to throw them in jail.

You have to catch those with a revoked licence first. Till that happens, they will still drive without one.

I finally realised that nothing will change as far as road safety is concerned. Life is cheap and nobody cares enough. All I can do is be alert and as responsible as I possibly can.

Having said that if the worst should happen and some idiot kills a member of my family through their negligence and then escapes virtually Scot free then there will be consequences I'll make sure of that.

So let me get this straight. If you run over a farang here the fine

will be a massive 7500 baht ? Clearly this is no deterrent whatsoever,

so I can see I have to be a lot more careful walking on the street...

" Hey Sombat, there is a farang on the road. Let's run him over for

fun !!. We can split the 7500 baht fine......" " Great idea, the last

farang boyfriend of my sister dumped her , time for payback. "

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Sends out totally the wrong message. I think death by road even if an accident should be a mandatory minimum 1 year served PLUS a minmum 100,000Baht fine and that if it is a 100% accident, double both minimums if alcohol is involved. That will make people think including myself. This judgement just sends out the message you can kill someone very little will happen, no jail time. I can't believe the girl in Bangkok how killed several people and did not have a Driving License did not do jail time either.

Let's not forget that this is the same truck driver who fled on foot after the crash and came back later. Hit and run with loss of life is even more serious than just an accident. Farang life is cheap here. I sure hope my wife doesn't read this and decide its cheaper than paying some hit man to knock me off.

Edited by thesetat2013