Four-metre king cobra caught in Phuket resort

webfact

Four-metre king cobra caught in Phuket resort
Darawan Naknakhon

1431488556_1-org.jpg
Mr Sayan keeps a firm grip on the large cobra’s neck.

PHUKET: -- A four-metre-long king cobra was found inside a guest room at the Stars of Phuket Resort in Chalong last night (May 12).

Alerted at 9:20pm, the Ruamjai Kupai Rescue Foundation’s snake expert, Sayan Thampan, arrived at the resort and took just three minutes to bag the cobra.

Holding the cobra by the neck he showed it off to gawking tourists and residents. The cobra was measured at four metres in length and weighed about 35 kilo.

Mt Sayan dropped it into a sack so that it could be released in the wild.

Sayan admitted that the snake was bigger than he expected. “When we got the call I had the impression it was a small snake; usually king cobras [we catch] are small. But when I saw this one I was amazed at its size.

“King cobras like to stay in confined spaces, which makes them difficult to catch but today we had no problems.”

Mr Sayan added, “April was extremely hot [so snakes were looking for cool places] and the Kupai Foundation were called to catch cobras, king cobras, green snakes, pythons and other species.”

In December last year Mr Sayan trapped what was reckoned to be the biggest snake caught in a decade in Phuket.

“If you find a snake in your area you can contact us,” he said. “We are on call 24/7.” The foundation’s number is 076 283 346-7

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-metre-king-cobra-caught-in-phuket-resort-52296.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-13

What a nice thing that is...to wake up and have one of those under the blanket.

My worst nightmare, that's why screen door always closed. In my early years here I left screens open, first month a brown colored snake slid in the front door, later a big tokey got in, then a green tree snake. Now - screens closed.

Just realised, that place is down the end of the street from me.

If that snake came down from the jungle on the mountain to get there, it would have passed my place on the way!

I think they get a lot of package Korean tourists in that place, would have been a shock for someone.

Can't see from photo if it's a king or monocled cobra, king cobras are shy and tend to stay in jungled areas hunting for snakes which is their diet.

I'll trust the guy who has it wrapped around his neck. I'm sure he knows a king cobra when he sees it.

Here at my home on Palm Hills in Hua Hin my gardner and pool guy both spotted a couple of times what they say was a 1.5 meter cobra in my pool and probably living in my pool pump house. Per their advice we threw a gasoline soaked towel into the pool room and hoped the fumes would cause him to evacuate. Recently someone ... definitely not me ... checked out the pump room and saw no sign of a snake. However, you couldn't get me to go into that pump room for any amount of money.

Edited by HerbalEd

That Cobra was certainly big enough. I would have had the heeby jeebys

if I saw something like that in my hotel room. I saw a 1/5 metre cobra once and

avoided it with my motorcycle, it was moving pretty fast as well.

I do like the tropics, and I realize there are snakes, and spiders, jelly fish

and other creatures that can give me a bad day. Guess we have to be

careful even in our hotel rooms.

Can't see from photo if it's a king or monocled cobra, king cobras are shy and tend to stay in jungled areas hunting for snakes which is their diet.

With that length and girth it's definitely a King.

I agree, monocled cobras don't get that big and I've seen plenty of them at our house.

What a nice thing that is...to wake up and have one of those under the blanket.

My worst nightmare, that's why screen door always closed. In my early years here I left screens open, first month a brown colored snake slid in the front door, later a big tokey got in, then a green tree snake. Now - screens closed.

Pleased that you learned that screen doors were not just an ornamental feature! Tough learning curve I know smile.png