Quality non smartphone style deals?

Hoping for some advice.

Looking for recommendations for a non smartphone style mobile (outright purchase) with Thai language option.

Are there any models/special deals recommended?

Need something better than basement quality.

A special price wouldn't go astray.

Thanks for your input.

Just be aware, there's a lot of confusion about the future usability of some 2G/GSM-only Mobile technology devices in Thailand.

Recent Band/Frequencies previously allocated for 2G/GSM operation by Mobile Operators are expiring and the 2G/GSM Band/Frequencies are being refarmed for use with other technologies. It's unknown if Mobile Operators will continue to support 2G/GSM radio operations at reduced levels (fewer users), or discontinue support altogether on certain bands (as has already occurred on 1800).

Best if your prospective device if 'future-proof' by supporting either 3G/UMTS/W-CDMA(HSPA) or LTE on 2100,

or 3G on 850/900/1800 as support in these bands are deployed.

While the Nokia 515 (Microsoft 515) supports GSM it also supports WCDMA

GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz,

WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)

Check Lazada.com, lots of feature phones, sometimes called "Candy Bar" phones. On their main page click Mobiles, then the "Under B3000" tab. You will see many listed in the B1000-2000 range. The posted specs will tell you if it's 3G compatible as RichCor made a really valid point about future 2G availability.

One other good option is any TRUE, AIS or DTAC sales office, in most malls. They have many low cost Candy Bar phones for sale, sometimes with very good promotions tied to them. I know TRUE has a simple 3G Candy Bar phone Package for B299...hard to beat that. Some of the phones will even do 4G.

Another advantage is that they usually will replace the phones if anything goes wrong, unlike most retailers. A friend had bought an AIS "LAVA" phone and after 6 months, the touch screen stopped working AIS exchanged it for a new model without any hassle.

Edited by dddave

Check Lazada.com, lots of feature phones, sometimes called "Candy Bar" phones. On their main page click Mobiles, then the "Under B3000" tab. You will see many listed in the B1000-2000 range. The posted specs will tell you if it's 3G compatible as RichCor made a really valid point about future 2G availability.

One other good option is any TRUE, AIS or DTAC sales office, in most malls. They have many low cost Candy Bar phones for sale, sometimes with very good promotions tied to them. I know TRUE has a simple 3G Candy Bar phone Package for B299...hard to beat that. Some of the phones will even do 4G.

Another advantage is that they usually will replace the phones if anything goes wrong, unlike most retailers. A friend had bought an AIS "LAVA" phone and after 6 months, the touch screen stopped working AIS exchanged it for a new model without any hassle.

Thanks DD.

I'll note your advice.

The recipient is already with a network (don't know which).

It's just that their phone has seen better days.

Are the candy bar phones tied with a provider (locked in)?

The ones sold by TRUE, AIS & DTAC are "locked" to their service but if you already are a subscriber they will tie the new phone to your existing account.

For under B500, their deals are very hard to beat.

Thanks DD.

I'll note your advice.

The recipient is already with a network (don't know which).

It's just that their phone has seen better days.

Perhaps ask the recipient to turn off the phone and removed the sim card, if the network operator is not displayed on screen or they don't know how to check.

The sim should show the provider, might help if you end up looking at a network locked phone to buy

You won't get a Nokia 515 for 699 baht... but if you find one let me know :)

There are a number of cheaper plastic Nokias that look similar to the 515 e.g. 107, 108, 208 etc. All quite serviceable, I use one myself thumbsup.gif

The 515 is a quality non-smartphone in that it has an aluminium body, a bright, scratch resistant screen, a decent camera, good connectivity and good battery life.

If you don't want a smart phone but don't want a cheap plastic phone like most candybar phones today are then it is a quality alternative.

Is it value for money? Not at all when compared to smart phones available in the same price bracket, but there are few choices in the non-smart phone market once you add quality as a requirement :)

I was in a TRUE office yesterday. They had a very nice 3G candy bar phone very similar in style to the Nokia pictures posted by KKerry in the 2nd post on this thread. B699

It's a shame about this deal as the user is on AIS 12Call.

You won't get a Nokia 515 for 699 baht... but if you find one let me know smile.png

There are a number of cheaper plastic Nokias that look similar to the 515 e.g. 107, 108, 208 etc. All quite serviceable, I use one myself thumbsup.gif

The 515 is a quality non-smartphone in that it has an aluminium body, a bright, scratch resistant screen, a decent camera, good connectivity and good battery life.

If you don't want a smart phone but don't want a cheap plastic phone like most candybar phones today are then it is a quality alternative.

Is it value for money? Not at all when compared to smart phones available in the same price bracket, but there are few choices in the non-smart phone market once you add quality as a requirement smile.png

It appears I'm after a 515 quality for approaching a candy bar price.

I wonder if "smart" might be the go but restrict usage to basic phone application or does that mean higher charges due to the need for a micro sim?

NB: Does the Nokia 515 require a micro sim?

515 uses a micro SIM. Not important because if you currently have a different sized SIM any main office of AIS etc. will, if required, give you a replacement SIM free or for minimal cost.

Definately no charge at AIS for changing to a Micro SIM. I've done it several times. Most new SIMs sold now are "punch out" style, full sized but the Micro SIM within can be punched out.

I believe AIS also stocks an array of inexpensive phones, from candy bar on up. The phone I mentioned at TRUE has no brand markings other than TRUE. I'm sure it is not a Nokia.

I wouldn't worry that much about "quality" with this style of phone. inside they are pretty much the same, many brands produced on contract by the same factories. I know from experience that both AIS and TRUE are very good about replacing defective phones, even after a years use.

• 4 weeks later...