Thai Health Ministry to look into high medical service fee complaints

webfact

Ministry to look into high medical service fee complaints

5-14-2015-11-29-21-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry is now looking into complaints of high medical bills charged by private hospitals to find ways to resolve the problem.

Action by the ministry came after the prime minister called for cooperation from concerned government agencies to investigate.

Health minister Dr Rajata Rajatanavin said yesterday that he has already received a petition from the Thai Medical Error Network which comprises people who have been affected by unfair prices of medical treatment.

The petition called for the appointment of a new committee to control all charges by private hospitals and to inspect any miscalculation of medical charges.

He said the ministry woud review the suggestions while considering all possible approaches to rein in the problems of overcharging reported in treatment bills, medicine bills and diagnosis charges.

The Health Ministry stated that everything will be considered thoroughly due to the fact that the issue is now at the center of people’s attention, which means that the process may be somewhat lengthy.

The Thai Medical Error Network has submitted a petition with 33,000 signatures to the prime minister calling on him to control the medical treatment fees that are charged at private hospitals across the country, claiming they were unreasonably high.

Evidence received by the network showed private hospitals are overcharging their patients.

It then calls for a new committee to be appointed to control the treatment fees and ensure that Thais are not overcharged for the medical treatment they receive.

She urged the prime minister to invoke Section 44 of the interim charter to dissolve the Medical Council of Thailand (MCT).

The new committee must consist of impartial members that will be able to oversee the fair and reasonable medical cost in private hospitals, as at present most members of the MCT consists of doctors in both private and state hospitals and government officials.

Dr Rajata acknowledged the private hospital overcharging of patients and said investigation was underway and promised that the issue would be resolved quickly.

Meanwhile the National Reform Council (NRC) held talks on consumer protection rights yesterday and agreed that the medical treatment cost overcharging issue must be dealt with seriously.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ministry-to-look-into-high-medical-service-fee-complaints

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-14

'to control the treatment fees and ensure that Thais are not overcharged for the medical treatment they receive.'

Jeeeeezus, so us farang are now we're going get charged an extra 30% to make up for the lost revenue from the previously overcharged Thai customers.

Christ knows what they're going to start charging the folks from the Middle East now !

Edited by Kalbo

Hospital are turned to money making factories than socially responsible services to the needy people.

Difficult to change the system in Thailand as long as if political and commercial nexus works together for selfish benefits.

Seriously, Thai hospitals need sterilization!

Hospitals as cash cows is the same all over the world isn't it?

'to control the treatment fees and ensure that Thais are not overcharged for the medical treatment they receive.'

Jeeeeezus, so us farang are now we're going get charged an extra 30% to make up for the lost revenue from the previously overcharged Thai customers.

Christ knows what they're going to start charging the folks from the Middle East now !

"Edited by Kalbo"... Dear Kalbo, this needs more correction, I shudder at the thought of what has been corrected so far.

Yes, "look into" and that's as far as it will go. Oh they might make another rule and announce another "crackdown" but nothing will be enforced so the hospitals will simply carry on business as usual.

A month ago, was diagnosed with pneumonia at Wippawadee hospital, worried of course I was given a private room, x rays CT scans taken, all of which I agreed to not being sure if they were necessary or not, and 3 days in there cost 90,000 baht. A real shock. Discharged myself and took all information to Sirirat hospital where, though I had quite a wait, had the situation explained to me by a doctor there whose English was excellent far more clearly than at the other hospital. Much reassured, I have continued to attend Sirirat hospital as an out patient at a far more affordable price.

Does this apply to Thai or foreign patients? Whilst I deplore the charges levied by the majority of private hospitals, and I have paid my fair share to Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya, over the years; all the time there is a steady flow of patients the hospitals will continue to charge higher prices, and frankly who can blame them?

Just to add to this during my routine check up at Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya in December last year a possible problem with narrowing of the arteries was identified. This was confirmed in April, 2015. To cut a long story short Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya quoted around THB 435k for an angiogram, one stent and one night in hospital, excluding any medication etc., all money paid up front. Having forked out well in excess of THB 3million to this hospital over the past few years I decided to look elsewhere. In the end I had the angiogram, one stent, overnight stay and medication carried out at the Queen Sirikit Royal Navy Hospital, Sattahip for a total of THB 181k.; less than half of what BHP wanted. The surgeon was brilliant and spoke good English, the theatre staff were great and the equipment is state of the art. The aftercare nursing was totally adequate and I have no complaints in that direction. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya has no end of staff running backwards and forwards and I guess this is what they are charging for, but who needs it. One thing I would say that the Sattahip hospital is public and there is much waiting involved, so an awful lot of patience is necessary.