changing schools exact procedure?

Waivers (the 2 year "teachers license") are tied to a school. If someone has a full 5-year teachers license, it is NOT tied to any one school, so they can switch around more easily. That could explain the Filipinos at your school.

OR, it could be that the labor office (that issues work permits) and immigration wherever you are located are willing to process work permits based on having filed for a teacher's license / waiver, instead of requiring the actual waiver/license to come back from Khurusapha. My local office was like that until recently.

Thanks for your reply....

What I'm getting now from the new school is that because my work permit is in another district, I will have to go to Laos. I can't just cancel in one district and go to another to make another work permit. Does this make sense?

Also, they are adamant that getting a 3rd kurusapa from bkk won't be a problem :|. What do you think?

It will suck if I go to Laos, get a new non-b and come back to find I've given up my krusapa (good for another 1.5 years with current school) and will have to go back to Laos again in 3 months (meanwhile working without a work permit :|). I'm tempted to just stay at my old school, but the new school is a significantly better situation pretty much all around. Closer to the city, 100k more baht a year. Teaching one class for 15 hours instead of 15 classes for 1 hour... If I go through with it though, I want to make sure there can be a 3rd krusapa... Is this possible?

Just from my own personal experience, it seems that it's much easier to get a third waiver, when staying at a school for longer.

With other words, you wouldn't have the best chances to receive one.

I think that it was already mentioned in an earlier post that it's very common that you need to start over again, if the school is in another province, (or district, with a different educational area office).

I know a few guys who were given a document from Khurusapha just to finish the contract, but not in form of a two year waiver.

You could end up only having 90 days only from a Thai consulate in Laos, but then you'd be completely in the rain. And pain in the bud.

Before you quit your position, why don't you go to Khurusapha in person, to make sure what's possible for you?

There're also some exceptions, where directors write a letter that the school urgently needs you, for whatever reason.

Another option, which all depends on the school, the Immigration and the labor department would be to change your job title into being a trainer, which seems to be okay in some provinces.

It won't good look for you at the TCT, when applying for another provisional after only six months at your current school.

Whatever you'll decide, wish you best of luck. Cheers- wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

{snip}

What I'm getting now from the new school is that because my work permit is in another district, I will have to go to Laos. I can't just cancel in one district and go to another to make another work permit. Does this make sense?

Also, they are adamant that getting a 3rd kurusapa from bkk won't be a problem :|. What do you think?

It will suck if I go to Laos, get a new non-b and come back to find I've given up my krusapa (good for another 1.5 years with current school) and will have to go back to Laos again in 3 months (meanwhile working without a work permit :|). I'm tempted to just stay at my old school, but the new school is a significantly better situation pretty much all around. Closer to the city, 100k more baht a year. Teaching one class for 15 hours instead of 15 classes for 1 hour... If I go through with it though, I want to make sure there can be a 3rd krusapa... Is this possible?

Lostinisaan covered most of this, but here's my additional 2 cents:

Having to leave the country and come back in is a situation that many people that I've known in the past near-decade of working here have had to do. So, although I don't know the exact rules (actually, I'm highly suspicious that all the rules are made up as they go along), it "makes sense" to me that they suggest that you will have to go to Laos and back in order to redo the Work Permit. Just because of precedent; I've known lots of people that have had to do that when changing schools.

They (the new school) want you to go there, so they are going to play down any chance of things not going smoothly. The reality is that it's a crap shoot. You might go in to Khurusapha and get a 3rd waiver without any issues at all, but on the other hand if you watch recent posts on these forums plenty of people claim to have at least some trouble getting a *2nd* waiver if they changed schools, don't meet the (extremely unrealistic) specifications that Khurusapha is looking for, etc. Lots of conflicting hit or miss stories about 3rd waivers, and then some reports of 4th waivers being granted without much trouble. So, in that kind of environment, don't put too much stock in what *anyone* tells you about Khurusapha -- including me and anyone else here, and certainly not the school that is highly motivated to downplay any risks.

Going to Bangkok and Khurusapha in person to ask if you will have any problems in advance would help. On the other hand, when you go back to actually get it done you might get stuck with a different officer who has a completely different interpretation of the "rules" than whoever you talked to the first time. That has happened to me personally many, many times with regards to what paperwork etc. is "required" at immigration offices; it changes with the winds, astrological alignments, and the butterfly effect...

Personally, I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution. *Especially* if you think you may be interested in staying in Thailand long-term, beyond the 2 years that a third waiver would (hopefully) get you. But again take everything, including/especially what I say, with a grain (or 10) of salt.

{snip}

Lostinisaan covered most of this, but here's my additional 2 cents:

Having to leave the country and come back in is a situation that many people that I've known in the past near-decade of working here have had to do. So, although I don't know the exact rules (actually, I'm highly suspicious that all the rules are made up as they go along), it "makes sense" to me that they suggest that you will have to go to Laos and back in order to redo the Work Permit. Just because of precedent; I've known lots of people that have had to do that when changing schools.

They (the new school) want you to go there, so they are going to play down any chance of things not going smoothly. The reality is that it's a crap shoot. You might go in to Khurusapha and get a 3rd waiver without any issues at all, but on the other hand if you watch recent posts on these forums plenty of people claim to have at least some trouble getting a *2nd* waiver if they changed schools, don't meet the (extremely unrealistic) specifications that Khurusapha is looking for, etc. Lots of conflicting hit or miss stories about 3rd waivers, and then some reports of 4th waivers being granted without much trouble. So, in that kind of environment, don't put too much stock in what *anyone* tells you about Khurusapha -- including me and anyone else here, and certainly not the school that is highly motivated to downplay any risks.

Going to Bangkok and Khurusapha in person to ask if you will have any problems in advance would help. On the other hand, when you go back to actually get it done you might get stuck with a different officer who has a completely different interpretation of the "rules" than whoever you talked to the first time. That has happened to me personally many, many times with regards to what paperwork etc. is "required" at immigration offices; it changes with the winds, astrological alignments, and the butterfly effect...

Personally, I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution. *Especially* if you think you may be interested in staying in Thailand long-term, beyond the 2 years that a third waiver would (hopefully) get you. But again take everything, including/especially what I say, with a grain (or 10) of salt.

Really a pleasure to read your post. Thanks a lot. wai2.gif

-