Plastic blinds for balcony. To stop the rain getting over my computer.

Never started so many threads in my life !! My upcoming move to Koh Phangnan has me needing all sorts of advice and have had some helpful posts so far so BIG thanks to people that have helped.

.............................................................................................................................................

I want to set up my work station on my balcony which is about 60 yards from beach. Im just worried about the rain. And wind also I guess.

If the landlord will let me Im thinking about installing those big plastic blinds you see in bars and restaurants around the island so that when it rains I can just let them down and carry on working.

Anyone know where I can get get some here on Koh Phangnan ? (Ive tried googling).

Are they 100% sufficient at keeping out the rain ?

Any help/thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Marcus

I think you could continue asking in one thread ..... Marcus needs to know! tongue.pngand it's me answering again! facepalm.giflaugh.png

I think the KP posters hab all gone to sleep... saai.gif

Your best bet on stuff like this is to look around and even ask someone who has one of these blinds or what ever you are looking for & where to get made, they are usually made to order and size .... not that complicated or difficult... They will work fine if you put them down before the rain starts! whistling.gif

Or take a picture of one, and show to your landlord, he may even be able to tell you!!!!

Locals both Thai and Farang, can be very helpful in giving you info you need... a point you in the right direction.... It might take you a bit of time to get to know a few people, who can help.... just avoid the "Bar crowd" if you want reliable answers wink.png

I had three of these blinds installed two transparent and one blue by a company called NJK, as I recall the cost was reasonable and they did a good job.

The transparent are best but they get grimey quickly and need regular cleaning.

Tel Nos 089 650 6402 and 089 651 7627, best to get a Thai to speak to them as giving directions to my house was difficult

Good luck

I don't live anywhere near there, but here the locals just buy them from one of the noisy pickups which does the rounds every now and then selling a range of sizes - breadth and length - normally blue, but sometimes brown or black.

When i asked my wife about buying them for my balcony she just answered "Just wait for the truck. He'll have what you want - and he did!"

Also be aware of the salt from the sea – especially if you live close to sea – that makes all electronics corrode. Connection plugs/cables can stop working, if not well enough plated with gold.

Furthermore, use an UPS if the mains power your computer. Black outs are common and voltage is unstable, even with some spikes – however power supply has become a lot better since the islands got a new underwater supply cable 1½ year ago. A 1900-baht (or so) UPS both protect your device with stable voltage and keeps it going long enough time to close everything down correctly.

A UPS is good protection for most sensitive electronics, like DVD-players and the like. For more hi-power things, like big TV-set, it’s worth investing about 200 baht in a surge protection plug or buying a surge-protected electronics distribution panel for around 500 baht – a (very) cheap insurance.

Wish you a succesful move and good time at Phangan...smile.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...