Parents in Thailand pawn luxury items to cover school expenses

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the poor are willing to be poor to uphold face.

I have said, the Thai mentality is that the brand name of the wallet or purse is more important than the amount of money in it.

Really? Just the Thai mentality? ONLY Thai people will buy a luxury item based on brand name?

I am sure this will come as a shock to western world, who have for decades spent fortunes on everything from Rolex to Gucci ... Rolls Royce to Cartier ...

Is there no subject under this sun that you people can not use to paint that Thai people as inferior, stupid and needing to suckle on the teat of the Oh So Wise Westerner to show them the way?

Really? Only Thai people are suckers for brand names/ REALLY?

Please reply back when you have finished your $5 Starbucks.

The flights leave every 4 hours .. feel free to leave anytime.

Anyone with taste knows how vulgar this brand name tat is. Good taste is something you can never buy, and I've seen little or no evidence of it in this part of the world. Unfortunately we live in a world where everyone wants to walk around looking like David Beckham, and that miserable looking Spice Girl woman. Surely the most vulgar and ostentatious couple on the planet.

You should Meet the Kardashians.....

The poorest of the poor go without food or daily necessities to educate their children.. having nothing to pawn..
The middle classes can afford to pawn now & buy back "luxury items" later.
The wealthy pawn sod-all...

Thailand has many levels of what people deem "poor"

What I did stateside was send three daughter through college , one at Stanford, Another went to UCLA, and youngest went to UC Berkley. I didn't pawn a thing I planned well ahead and worked 7 days a week for over 20 years saving. Never bought a new car, held two jobs Retired from main job plus had chimney Sweep business I ran in what little spare time I had. Now old and grey living what little life I have left knowing I did my best for them. all three doing great and asked me Dad what would you like now I said well a Lambo would be nice knowing at this point they can't do it. But for Christmas I got a frickin Lambo sits on my shelf in living room. That means more to me than having one I can drive. But life is good living the dream now plenty money coming in each month travel when and where I wish to go. Don't need car fancy house had that just need my good health and young tat and I'm happy. Don't need Rolex got cell phone with clock. Don't need gold chains. It don't make me happy and it turns you into target to be robbed. I also don't have to impress anyone.

Edited by Strangebrew

If state agencies were not so high on big budget, unneeded items, ( See hi speed trains, submarines, jet fighters, monuments, etc.. ), maybe some of these huge

sums could be diverted to needy families and children. Tsk, tsk !

Bail out all those brand names and electronic goodies for them?

Common people, having a hermes crocodile bag is far more important than having a child who can read and write. Image is everything 555

The people here are so materialistic. I have seen many instances of Benz and BMW's parked outside of shanty houses or slum apartments.

It is more important for these fools to be seen driving a flash car than to provide a clean safe home for their family.

Welcome to Tardland!

I think you might be mistaken. Owners of such cars are visiting mistresses.

"He said customers who pawned valuables either were in financial trouble or wanted money for an investment and would often buy an item back after making a profit.

There was also an emerging trend of people leaving valuables such as diamonds or gold at pawnshops for safekeeping while they were away during festivals, and the company welcomed that business, he added.

Wiwat Kaenchan, the manager of the Prachanubal Pawnshop in Bangkok's Udomsuk area, said almost 100 per cent of items pawned so far this month were gold and jewellery.

The shop would not buy items that were more difficult to sell, he added.

A customer at a Bang Na pawnshop, Wassana Moohuana, said she resorted to using pawnshops because her household expenses were high.

"I mostly pawn gold necklaces because I have many family members to take care of and the economy these days isn't very good," she said, adding that she would redeem items once she had money."

So nothing to do with school at all then?

Pawn stuff for investment? No wise investors would borrow short term for long term investments, only gamblers.

Ummm .. the article said "investments" ... not "long term investments"

It is fun to change the meaning of things to make an unrelated point ... yes?

And by the way, if a person took a "short term loan" to invest in any opportunity, short, long .. whatever, that eclipsed the cost of the loan .. sir .. that is the working definition of a positive return investment.

I have an acquaintance who mortgaged everything he had ... everything ... to purchase some god forsaken mountains in middle of Canada.

They turned out to be absolutely filled to the gills with gold. What an idiot! He could still own that farm! Too bad he did not meet you first and take this sterling advice.

Where do you guys dream up these "Wise old sayings?"

What this article doesn't really address is the fact that it is not just those parents rich enough to have Gucci handbags, Hermes head scarves etc who are finding it difficult to meet the seeming ever increasing costs of the new school year. I live in deepest Isaan and so many parents here have real problems finding the money for uniforms, which always seem to be changing, books and various other things including the embroidering of names on garments - an irrelevant and unnecessary expense. Education at whatever type of school at whatever level is by no means free in Thailand and I feel sorry for the poorer parents who have no option but to try to find the money without Gucci hand bags, Hermes head scarves et al!

They had the money, but never in a large sum, because the tickle of money flowing in gets spent within 24 hours.

Liquor, gambling, sex. Ask yourselves, why in the deepest past of Issan do you still see liquor stores, gambling in the huts in fields, karaoke pubs, etc?

The US don't have a 7-11 in Death Valley.

But they did build an entire city dedicated to gambling, prostitution, drinking, drugs, and every possible vice in the heart of the DESERT.

VIVA Las Vegas!

Now wait for the punchline ... then made gambling losses TAX DEDUCTIBLE. That is correct. Taxpayers in America support gamblers.

Why don't you put down your "I am so much better than an Issan" megaphone for a moment to undersatnd that it has always been this way for farmers. The working poor in every country in the world are always on the short end of the stick .. and often in a systemic process that enslaves them financially.

"....embroidering of names on garments" ... wow ... What were they thinking? Perhaps the AC went out in their Bentley and they lost track for a moment.

Because some of these poor farmers would ask me to buy them a peck of liquor early in the morning before going to the fields.

Yes, I too am a farmer among them and have seen their lifestyles.

I would think that you, more than anyone in this forum, or Thai Visa, for that matter .. would understand this.

What would you excpect from the poorest of the poor, working like a slave, having no formal education ... no way out ... no "dream of upward mobility."

An extremely simple man, who has never been beyond his own borders ... born , raised and will die .. tilling the soil.

If it were me, you better bet I would be hip deep in whatever wine, women and song I could find ... what else should I do .. go online and check my stock portfolio? Work on my collection of rare auto's? Go to Pilates class and then out to a wine tasting?

What, pray tell, should these hard working, salt of the earth heroes who feed all of the Kingdom .. do then?

I would think you , a farmer, a person who really understands Thail;and like few others .. would be the one voice in this crazy forum of Thai bashers .. who would tell them all

"Do not judge the book by its tattered cover, for within the heart of the Issan, is the most pure expression of the Thai spirit, that can smile in the face of adversity, and make the best of each day without complaint. Just like farmers all over this globe, quite heros doing what the Nancy's pointing fingers could never do. Never. Growing the food, building Bangkok one brick at a time for slave wages, driving taxis 14 hours a day for ungrateful bastards like many people who whine about them here on TV."

THAT is what I thought a farmer from Issan might say.

As far as I am concerned, every Farang Whiner and Hi So Wanna-Be can line right the F up and kiss the Issan's ... bottoms.

And good on ya for the life you chose and work hard at ...

Thank you, I did this last year, but had to show up personally in Frankfurt. Now I've gota bank account in Thailand, better conditions but still no credit.

I've been here since 2013, my gf is a born Thai, no problem with the car except that it is already pawned to a bank.

My problem is certainly Germany - and the people over there. Just not reliable, these folks, but always eager to grab.

What this article doesn't really address is the fact that it is not just those parents rich enough to have Gucci handbags, Hermes head scarves etc who are finding it difficult to meet the seeming ever increasing costs of the new school year. I live in deepest Isaan and so many parents here have real problems finding the money for uniforms, which always seem to be changing, books and various other things including the embroidering of names on garments - an irrelevant and unnecessary expense. Education at whatever type of school at whatever level is by no means free in Thailand and I feel sorry for the poorer parents who have no option but to try to find the money without Gucci hand bags, Hermes head scarves et al!

They had the money, but never in a large sum, because the tickle of money flowing in gets spent within 24 hours.

Liquor, gambling, sex. Ask yourselves, why in the deepest past of Issan do you still see liquor stores, gambling in the huts in fields, karaoke pubs, etc?

But they did build an entire city dedicated to gambling, prostitution, drinking, drugs, and every possible vice in the heart of the DESERT.

VIVA Las Vegas!

Now wait for the punchline ... then made gambling losses TAX DEDUCTIBLE. That is correct. Taxpayers in America support gamblers.

Why don't you put down your "I am so much better than an Issan" megaphone for a moment to undersatnd that it has always been this way for farmers. The working poor in every country in the world are always on the short end of the stick .. and often in a systemic process that enslaves them financially.

"....embroidering of names on garments" ... wow ... What were they thinking? Perhaps the AC went out in their Bentley and they lost track for a moment.

Because some of these poor farmers would ask me to buy them a peck of liquor early in the morning before going to the fields.

I would think that you, more than anyone in this forum, or Thai Visa, for that matter .. would understand this.

What would you excpect from the poorest of the poor, working like a slave, having no formal education ... no way out ... no "dream of upward mobility."

An extremely simple man, who has never been beyond his own borders ... born , raised and will die .. tilling the soil.

If it were me, you better bet I would be hip deep in whatever wine, women and song I could find ... what else should I do .. go online and check my stock portfolio? Work on my collection of rare auto's? Go to Pilates class and then out to a wine tasting?

What, pray tell, should these hard working, salt of the earth heroes who feed all of the Kingdom .. do then?

I would think you , a farmer, a person who really understands Thail;and like few others .. would be the one voice in this crazy forum of Thai bashers .. who would tell them all

"Do not judge the book by its tattered cover, for within the heart of the Issan, is the most pure expression of the Thai spirit, that can smile in the face of adversity, and make the best of each day without complaint. Just like farmers all over this globe, quite heros doing what the Nancy's pointing fingers could never do. Never. Growing the food, building Bangkok one brick at a time for slave wages, driving taxis 14 hours a day for ungrateful bastards like many people who whine about them here on TV."

As far as I am concerned, every Farang Whiner and Hi So Wanna-Be can line right the F up and kiss the Issan's ... bottoms.

I would not be a freshie in Bangkok offering to save a bar girl from her miserable vocation.

If you have only seen what I have. The last excitement occurred when 10-15,000 bahts were paid out to rice farmers by this govt.

You should have seen the partying in the village.

VIVA Las Vegas!

I would not be a freshie in Bangkok offering to save a bar girl from her miserable vocation.

If you have only seen what I have. The last excitement occurred when 10-15,000 bahts were paid out to rice farmers by this govt.

You should have seen the partying in the village.

Really? A "freshie" in BKK?

I really do wonder who you think you are, or your role her in the Kingdom.

if the government paid subsidies, it is their business. if the farmers did not use it in the manner you approve .. tough darts for you.

Please let us know if you require additional oxygen up there in your White Ivory Tower ....

This conversation si finished ... I have Thia friends to spend time with. Do you???

"He said customers who pawned valuables either were in financial trouble or wanted money for an investment and would often buy an item back after making a profit.

There was also an emerging trend of people leaving valuables such as diamonds or gold at pawnshops for safekeeping while they were away during festivals, and the company welcomed that business, he added.

Wiwat Kaenchan, the manager of the Prachanubal Pawnshop in Bangkok's Udomsuk area, said almost 100 per cent of items pawned so far this month were gold and jewellery.

A customer at a Bang Na pawnshop, Wassana Moohuana, said she resorted to using pawnshops because her household expenses were high.

"I mostly pawn gold necklaces because I have many family members to take care of and the economy these days isn't very good," she said, adding that she would redeem items once she had money."

Pawn stuff for investment? No wise investors would borrow short term for long term investments, only gamblers.

And by the way, if a person took a "short term loan" to invest in any opportunity, short, long .. whatever, that eclipsed the cost of the loan .. sir .. that is the working definition of a positive return investment.

I have an acquaintance who mortgaged everything he had ... everything ... to purchase some god forsaken mountains in middle of Canada.

They turned out to be absolutely filled to the gills with gold. What an idiot! He could still own that farm! Too bad he did not meet you first and take this sterling advice.

I am sorry. Pawning an asset last 3 months. That's a long term loan. Betting on red or black takes less than a minute.

Yup, great financing for investment.

Mortgage vs pawning, hmmm...I guess pawning is the longer term...

Edited by trogers

A very clear clash of "face" versus "real world" ... it's a very hard thing for a Thai to accept.

The Govt is looking into what Hospitals are charging, the more urgent need would be to look into what these "schools" (and I use the word lightly) are charging for things.

Education should be free (for all) right up until University age (at least). But that would also require an increase in the competence and quality of what is taught and the teachers themselves.

That would require them to pay taxes and think about others, when all they do think about is themselves and trying to convince people they are rich.

Only last week, the Government had to make avaiable a massive amount of extra cash to the Government pawn shops to keep up with the demand from parents seeking extra money for school fees Etc.

Poor hard done by parents you say - Nah not one jot.

My girl came home from school last term, and was very sad, so I asked her why she was so sad.

Her reply was that her best friend was leaving the school because her parents were buying a new car, so could not afford both the car, and school fees for the child.

The sick face of consumerist Thailand today.

Only last week, the Government had to make avaiable a massive amount of extra cash to the Government pawn shops to keep up with the demand from parents seeking extra money for school fees Etc.

Poor hard done by parents you say - Nah not one jot.

My girl came home from school last term, and was very sad, so I asked her why she was so sad.

Her reply was that her best friend was leaving the school because her parents were buying a new car, so could not afford both the car, and school fees for the child.

The sick face of consumerist Thailand today.

clap2.gif So right.

Not so many years ago i worked at a technical school in a rural area where every student was on a 100% government grant because of their low level family income and that included children of police officers.

I arrived as the proud owner of my first ever but not too expensive smart phone which i kept out of sight as most of these under privileged students had the then top of the range stuff.

I've bellyached about the problematic Thai school requirements for years. It may have done some good. About 12 years ago, I wrote a series of letters to the 2 Eng.lang newspapers lamenting how tough it was for low- or no-income parents to pay for all the crap that students are required to purchase for school. All items have to be brand-new and retail. Second hand, no way. Right after my letters, the rules were adjusted to provide books for students. Yet, the major expenses of clothes, shoes, backpacks, field trips ....remain for parents. It's really tough for a lot of parents, particularly hill-tribers who are at the fringes. The farther from Bkk, the more forgettable these families are. I reside in northernmost Thailand, near a village with no phone signal. Bangkok heavies are only concerned for what happens in Bkk. The hill tribe families are struggling so much with the costs of sending their kids to school, that many will simply keep the kids home, to play in the mud.

What about contributions from Farang Expats to education in Thailand?

Isn't that also what we're here for?

If yes, do Farang authorities then have a right to exclude certain Farangs from all economic activities designed to sponsor a better life for a Thai family?

If sponsorship by a Farang is the only way to avoid further trafficking of Thai females, and if this Farang is being banned from sponsorship by certain authorities, isn't that support of human trafficking by those authorities?

I guess it is.

Edited by micmichd

What I did stateside was send three daughter through college , one at Stanford, Another went to UCLA, and youngest went to UC Berkley. I didn't pawn a thing I planned well ahead and worked 7 days a week for over 20 years saving. Never bought a new car, held two jobs Retired from main job plus had chimney Sweep business I ran in what little spare time I had. Now old and grey living what little life I have left knowing I did my best for them. all three doing great and asked me Dad what would you like now I said well a Lambo would be nice knowing at this point they can't do it. But for Christmas I got a frickin Lambo sits on my shelf in living room. That means more to me than having one I can drive. But life is good living the dream now plenty money coming in each month travel when and where I wish to go. Don't need car fancy house had that just need my good health and young tat and I'm happy. Don't need Rolex got cell phone with clock. Don't need gold chains. It don't make me happy and it turns you into target to be robbed. I also don't have to impress anyone.

Souns like the right thing to do. I do the same, from the day my kids were born I've been stashing money aside for when they are ready to go to University. This 'study pot' has grown significantly is non negotiable and only for this purpose. My Thai family finds me weird and foolish to plan so far ahead.

I am sorry. Pawning an asset last 3 months. That's a long term loan. Betting on red or black takes less than a minute.

This is a classic Thai Visa "conversation."

The thesis of an article is that parents pawn jewelry to pay for education (a long term investment if there ever was one)

And the next thing I know, I am in a pissing contest with someone with a business finance IQ that is ... let's just say, "I hope you enjoyed being an art major."

Now in some conversation with you, and the voices in your head, about pawning something to play roulette.

Listen to me, you do not need to couch your dislike for Thai People, or the Kingdom, in some obtuse and unrelated "made up in your head" situation that proves them to be inferior to you. Just come out and say it in simple sentences. At least then I could respect your candor, and cease these silly charades about these articles.

This entire forum has become a Punch and Judy show, and simply posts "news" as the vehicle to throw Thai People under the bus.

getting old .. predictable .. and boring. You see, in an adult conversation with people who cared, at page three of a thread, we would be talking about government policy to enable more children an opportunity for better education .. and not moaning that parents ARE PUTTING EDUCATION OVER OWNING JEWELRY!

It's annoying to see how many posters here obviously regard children and their education as luxury goods.

You might urgently need a nurse to take care for you in a couple of years, and it would be a good idea to send that future nurse to school now.

This is a classic Thai Visa "conversation."

The thesis of an article is that parents pawn jewelry to pay for education (a long term investment if there ever was one)

And the next thing I know, I am in a pissing contest with someone with a business finance IQ that is ... let's just say, "I hope you enjoyed being an art major."

Now in some conversation with you, and the voices in your head, about pawning something to play roulette.

Listen to me, you do not need to couch your dislike for Thai People, or the Kingdom, in some obtuse and unrelated "made up in your head" situation that proves them to be inferior to you. Just come out and say it in simple sentences. At least then I could respect your candor, and cease these silly charades about these articles.

This entire forum has become a Punch and Judy show, and simply posts "news" as the vehicle to throw Thai People under the bus.

getting old .. predictable .. and boring. You see, in an adult conversation with people who cared, at page three of a thread, we would be talking about government policy to enable more children an opportunity for better education .. and not moaning that parents ARE PUTTING EDUCATION OVER OWNING JEWELRY!

"...about government policy to enable more children an opportunity for better education .. and not moaning that parents ARE PUTTING EDUCATION OVER OWNING JEWELRY!"

I love this part. Parents are irresponsible, and the Government has to be responsible.

OMG ... you are hopeless ... is there nothing you can not nit pick and find fault with. Please point to one "First World" country that has not built tax funded schools and provided gateways to advanced education.

And really, please drink some coffee and wake up:

The THESIS here is that parents short on cash FIND it IMPORTANT to FUND EDUCATION and are willing to risk losing "toys" for that cause. That is the antithesis of your argument.

Do you not undersatnd that in the West, you could write the exact same piece and replace "pawn shop" with "credit card?" Do you not understand that almost every business in this world came via "short term loans?" Do you not even understand cash flow and float in profitable businesses? In short, do you have clue one what you are spouting off about? Do you not see the proof in front of your eyes that items pawned ARE NOT used for gambling or high risk, since nearly ALL are repurchased? Do you understand that borrowing X to get 2X back is called "good business?"

I give up .. enjoy your weekend, I have no more time for art majors.

strangely enough I always put my childrens future ahead of my own, this was how I was raised. Does not matter what country you live in no parent should ever put their own wants in front of their childs education. Where is the sense in buying jewellery etc instead of sending you children to school, why would you buy a car then take your child out of school because you spent their education money just so you can do it and destroy their future but make yourself out to be something your not. Its pathetic to read that parents put their children education beneath their "face" saving/creating purchases, no amount of bickering by the idiots/trolls in here can justify it all. This isnt gambling, its destroying the future prospects and education of their children so they can look good, at least some of them are waking up to their own stupidity by pawning something they never should have bought in the first place if it was needed to educate their child. This applies across the board to every parent in every country, children need a good education before parents need to buy face saving sh*t, investments, alcohol etc, some posters need to pull their heads from their ars*s.

Edited by seajae

NO, the US don't have 7/11 in Death Valey ... but 50 Million people on food stamps !!!

NO, the US don't have 7/11 in Death Valey ... but 50 Million people on food stamps !!!

Those days of food queues were last seen in Communist Russia...