Reinstalled Windows Xp

terrydxn

I reinstalled Windows XP a few days ago and had problems with Media Player and an external DVD player that would no longer work.

Today I tried to connect my printer but the CD RW Drive E will not read the installation CD.

I also see that the Hard Disk C has only 5GB of free space and Disk D has only 15GB free space out of a total of 40GB 20 have been used in the reinstall???

So I think I have screwed up the install process but am not sure how, Windows should to the best of limited knowledge have erased the contents of the C and D Disk before installing again.

any suggestion on how to reinstall Windows and recover disk space welcome.

I reinstalled Windows XP a few days ago and had problems with Media Player and an external DVD player that would no longer work.

Today I tried to connect my printer but the CD RW Drive E will not read the installation CD.

I also see that the Hard Disk C has only 5GB of free space and Disk D has only 15GB free space out of a total of 40GB 20 have been used in the reinstall???

So I think I have screwed up the install process but am not sure how, Windows should to the best of limited knowledge have erased the contents of the C and D Disk before installing again.

any suggestion on how to reinstall Windows and recover disk space welcome.

I believe you need to do a clean install of windows which means to format your hard disk and install everything again.

Try to save your data before. To get free space delete unnecessary programs, clean up tha history incl. Internet History and Cookies.

And check the size of your Documents and Settings folder. If this folder is very big, check out all files an it. May there a lot multiple files.

Not forget to save your Outlook or Outlook Express data otherwise your loose your complete e-mails, addresses and so.

Terry,

Not clear what did you do, did you use reinstall or repair option? (If you reinstalled and had windows update prior to that reinstallation you may have conflicts with not rolling back updates correctly.)

What SP version of windows you have? (the best would be the XP SP2 or slipstream version XP SP2)

Why do you have to partitions on on your HD? As far as I understand it's a 40GB with two partition. It would be better to have one 40GB partion for better defrag purposes.

External devices depend on their drivers i.e if you have an external DVD (USB?SCSI?FW?) you need to find the driver program.

WMP maybe conflicting with a later update (XP contains v9 and the latest you might have is v10)

Again not clear your CD does not read the install CD at all or could not find the printer driver?

If you wish a clean install I recommend to read:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

don' forget to back up your stuff.

Hello Reimer, Zoltannyac, below is my first post on this subject,

I have just reinstalled Windows XP and find that Windows Media Player will not work, the message I receive is,

"Windows Media Player can not play the file because there is a problem with your sound device"

When I try playing a DVD from an external player I get the Message,

"Windows Media Player can not play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your PC"

So I need some tool to fix this problem, I see there are many freeware applications in this forum but due to my lack of PC skills I really do not know which if any will help,and was hoping some one could recomend a solution.

Will appreaciate any help.

I reinstalled from from windows XP 2002 edition and all updates were OK before that, I have 2 hard disks each off 20GB and when I try to install my printer I get a message telling me to "insert a installation CD into the PC' or words to that effect. My PC seems unable to read from the CD RW drive.

In addition my PC is now working very slowly, what bothers me is that all of these devices were working before the reinstall and I can not think what has gone wrong.

I do not care if I lose all data in in a clean install of Windows so long as I have a working PC again,

my PC skills are limited so any advice must be simple,

Thanks for the help so far

DVD: probably you had a DVD player codec that is missing the best is to install:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

This is the most complete codec to my knowledge.

Sound:

Take a look in your device manager, and see is there are any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your sound devices.

Try reinstalling your soundcard drivers.

If you have onboard sound, then you can get the drivers from your mobo manufacturers website.

If you have a separate soundcard, then you can get the drivers from your soundcard manufacturers website.

If you can figure out the maker of your soundcard you may try Everest

http://www.lavalys.com/news.php?article=31...=PR〈=en

get the trial corporate edition and run it.

Hello Zoltannyc,I installed this DVD codec,

"DVD: probably you had a DVD player codec that is missing the best is to install:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

This is the most complete codec to my knowledge."

and the sound for Media Player and DVD now works fine, I can not get a picture for the video but that is not so inportant at the moment,

The CD-RW Drive E will still not read the installation CD that came with my Printer but I feel I am making some progress,

I will try to fix these promlems at home but if I can not get things up and running in a couple of days I may dump the problem in a PC shop

Thanks for your help

reinstalled Windows XP a few days ago and had problems with Media Player and an external DVD player that would no longer work.

any suggestion on how to reinstall Windows and recover disk space welcome

Ur media Player prob is to do wit a certainm codec dat needs to be installed....since sum1 has mentioned dat already ill leave it out. :D ..next ur Cd rom drive may not even be connected......nxt...20 GB isnt used for installation...wen u wer installin XP u must hv got an option to choose which hard disk u want to be used...(it only selects one)...if u want both selected then u gotta select both...unknowingly u must hv pressed enter...which by default wil only select one HD... :o

& if u say dat u dnt mind installin windows again ... then i wud recommend dat u do...XP is the easiet to install...it is very user friendly & only asks u limited options...most of the installing is dun by itself...this time wen installin windows XP jus wait there lookin at the screen & read & select the rite options dat u require...(they are jus normal qts...if english makes sense to you den u wnt hv a problem at all.) :D

Clive

Yoga Retreats India

zoltannyc, Lexmark, I downloaded the driver from their web page and thats OK now.

My external DVD is LG and they are less than helpfull but the XP Codec you gave me solved the proplem, I found Media Player Classic hiding in All Programs so I can watch DVD

Thanks again for all your help.

& if u say dat u dnt mind installin windows again ... then i wud recommend dat u do...XP is the easiet to install...it is very user friendly & only asks u limited options...most of the installing is dun by itself...this time wen installin windows XP jus wait there lookin at the screen & read & select the rite options dat u require...(they are jus normal qts...if english makes sense to you den u wnt hv a problem at all.) :o

Clive

Yoga Retreats India

So ... you are telling us that you have a (slight) problem??

:-)

& if u say dat u dnt mind installin windows again ... then i wud recommend dat u do...XP is the easiet to install...it is very user friendly & only asks u limited options...most of the installing is dun by itself...this time wen installin windows XP jus wait there lookin at the screen & read & select the rite options dat u require...(they are jus normal qts...if english makes sense to you den u wnt hv a problem at all.) :o

Clive

Yoga Retreats India

So ... you are telling us that you have a (slight) problem??

:-)

hi'

looks that it's just a tiny one :D

re-install xp on the same drive where xp wee should have give youa warning

on the install start ...

bypass it and you have 2 windows in one with most of program which refuse to work properly ...

NEVER re-install windows, repait it!

good luck .... format C drive ahead, think aboout saving bookmarks and all folders you may use, as outlook settings, if you use this soft for mail ...*

francois