Another hair raising experience on Thai roads

The emotional regression that Thai culture demands upon its servants results in some nasty venting. On the roads, when they are pretty much a blank face among strangers, is where they can vent and let out their aggression and frustrations, they can also bully, force people to move for them and act in all sorts of ways that gives them an extra inch or two, that they cannot do in their daily life and society.

Quite ugly, isn't it. sad.png

...and this is unique to Thailand compared to many countries in the west...how? Is that why there is a fraction of road rage incidents in Thailand compared to US/UK/Australia and many parts of EU, not to mention lack of aggressive honking.

Quite ugly isnt it...behavior of farangs from rich countries projecting their own poor behavior and incivility on a developing country.

Agreed. You see way more road rage in the US than you ever see here. Mr. Grumpy seems to have some issues with Thai people that he needs to 'vent' himself.

2011. In the US there were about 1,200 incidents that year. As the population is nearly 5 times the size of Thailand, the comparable incident in Thailand would have been 240. That's why you would see more road rage in the US than here.

Just drive offensively and aggressively, then they think you insane and let you go first wink.png

This is true! A friend of mine is actually doing this in Bangkok. I feel absolutely safe riding along in his small car.

He's a very good driver and not aggressive himself, but this driving techniqe works fine if you have the skill to mannage it.

Last thing I saw (amongst so many...) was a taxi driver playing a game on his tablet while driving.....

I'm getting used to things like this....

Edited by off road pat

Not only Thais ride bikes with one hand, seen a Farang idiot riding on Sukhumvit Road after he was leaving a bar with his baby in one hand and steering with the other.

Agree. See many Farang doing things here that they would never dream of doing back home. Just because you can (get away with it) doesn't mean you should.

The emotional regression that Thai culture demands upon its servants results in some nasty venting. On the roads, when they are pretty much a blank face among strangers, is where they can vent and let out their aggression and frustrations, they can also bully, force people to move for them and act in all sorts of ways that gives them an extra inch or two, that they cannot do in their daily life and society.

...and this is unique to Thailand compared to many countries in the west...how?

Looks like your bags are still waiting for you at the airport.

Enjoy your first holiday here. :)

Is that why there is a fraction of road rage incidents in Thailand compared to US/UK/Australia and many parts of EU, not to mention lack of aggressive honking.

That's because honking and flashing your lights is likely to get you shot dead. As many people find out. whistling.gif Be careful - Thailand: 23,000 gun homicides every year, 4th highest in the World. :(
Welcome to Thailand.
Enjoy your holiday.

Saw a family of 5 (a 8 year old boy in front, then the father, a 6 year old girl, the mother and a 2 year old girl standing on her mother's lap) on a motorcycle moving along a heavily congested traffic, weaving left and right in between vehicles. It was like watching a moving circus on a road! All not wearing no helmet.

Taken by my sister while I collected her from the airport.

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Nothing that wouldn't see the daughter taken into Child's-Services and the parents arrested, in a real country.

Of course it really gets interesting when they pull out in front of you without even looking.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

...and this is unique to Thailand compared to many countries in the west...how? Is that why there is a fraction of road rage incidents in Thailand compared to US/UK/Australia and many parts of EU, not to mention lack of aggressive honking.

Quite ugly isnt it...behavior of farangs from rich countries projecting their own poor behavior and incivility on a developing country.

Agreed. You see way more road rage in the US than you ever see here. Mr. Grumpy seems to have some issues with Thai people that he needs to 'vent' himself.

I experienced one incident of road rage here (coincidentally my first time driving out to the factory) and never in the UK. I think most people's concern over road rage in the UK or USA would be better expressed as commendation of news reporting in those countries

Is that why there is a fraction of road rage incidents in Thailand compared to US/UK/Australia and many parts of EU, not to mention lack of aggressive honking.

That's because honking and flashing your lights is likely to get you shot dead. As many people find out. whistling.gif Be careful - Thailand: 23,000 gun homicides every year, 4th highest in the World. sad.png

..yes, because unlike Americans manyThais have guns in their cars and look for any excuse to use them</sarcasm>

Projecting the shortcomings of your own country on others with that chip on your shoulder is not going to make your time in Thailand any easier.

I think most people's concern over road rage in the UK or USA would be better expressed as commendation of news reporting in those countries

..or perhaps evidence of dysfunctional and overly aggressive culture as evidenced by the plethora of road rage videos posted on Youtube from the US/UK/AUS -- all taken by average citizens and probably just the tip of the iceberg.

That's because honking and flashing your lights is likely to get you shot dead. As many people find out. whistling.gif Be careful - Thailand: 23,000 gun homicides every year, 4th highest in the World. sad.png

..yes, because unlike Americans manyThais have guns in their cars and look for any excuse to use them</sarcasm>

Projecting the shortcomings of your own country on others with that chip on your shoulder is not going to make your time in Thailand any easier.

What country do you think I come from? Just out of interest. :)

Actually, though, as you mentioned it, many Thais do have weapons close to hand a lot of the time, this is because they understand that other Thais can explode with lethal rage over something completely trivial at any time. Of course when it's their time to snap because the waiter didn't give extra dipping sauce (real story from the news) or whatever, guess what happens....

Thailand: 23,000 gun homicides every year, 4th highest in the World.

Good luck with your holiday here, and stay safe on the roads.

Welcome to Thailand.
Enjoy your holiday.

Thailand is ranked at number 32 for Murder rate per capita. USA is number 14. Just saying smile.png

Saw a family of 5 (a 8 year old boy in front, then the father, a 6 year old girl, the mother and a 2 year old girl standing on her mother's lap) on a motorcycle moving along a heavily congested traffic, weaving left and right in between vehicles. It was like watching a moving circus on a road! All not wearing no helmet.

How did you know all their ages ?

How old were Mum n Dad ?

This is real.... A car hit a dog... the driver got out of the car....picked up the dog, put him on the side of the road.. and left..thumbsup.gif

'hair raising'

At last.

Someone sticking on topic.

I ran over a snake in Cambodia.

Felt bad about that.

No hair so didn't stop.

Taken by my sister while I collected her from the airport.

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Nothing that wouldn't see the daughter taken into Child's-Services and the parents arrested, in a real country.

Of course it really gets interesting when they pull out in front of you without even looking.

coffee1.gif

facepalm.gif

If killed, likely re-incarnated pronto and higher up.

I'm not gonna splain this again.

Yeah i dunno, i really enjoy motorcycling around these parts, no way near the amount of rules and regulations as there is at home, lots of funny sights like girls done up on a scooter holding umbrellas out in front of them blocking their forward vision in a futile attempt to avoid getting their hair messed up

Not to mention to avoid getting a suntan.