Immigration Moving?

ThaiPauly

I was checking out the units at the Promenada that have been suggested here as the new location for Immigration. There are 2 or 3 empty units there. One of the units contains a long desk, as you can see from the photo, but the other units are completely empty. My wife asked the girl who was sweeping the terrace outside the units, and she was told that there had been no work done there for a few weeks.

I fail to see how this is going to be ready for next month, but who knows in Thailand.

And is this going to be a temporary home while they re build on the present site near the airport? It was indicated a while ago, by the pleasant officer on the left hand counter, that the new building would extend over the current parking area.

There is of course a group of other offices at the rear on the old site but have not a clue what they are used for and how many staff are within.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The office at the back, behind the copy shop, handles reporting by hotels etc. of foreign guests. They have had an online system for a couple of years now, so very little in the way of actual visitors. The last time we returned from oversreas, the wife reported my residing in our family home and there was an irate farang arguing about being deported for rowdy/drunken behaviour reported by his neighbours.....

I was checking out the units at the Promenada that have been suggested here as the new location for Immigration. There are 2 or 3 empty units there. One of the units contains a long desk, as you can see from the photo, but the other units are completely empty. My wife asked the girl who was sweeping the terrace outside the units, and she was told that there had been no work done there for a few weeks.

I fail to see how this is going to be ready for next month, but who knows in Thailand.

And is this going to be a temporary home while they re build on the present site near the airport? It was indicated a while ago, by the pleasant officer on the left hand counter, that the new building would extend over the current parking area.

There is of course a group of other offices at the rear on the old site but have not a clue what they are used for and how many staff are within.

Yeah, you don't want to be asked to go to see someone in one of those offices in the back, in the area behind the copy shop. There are other offices on the left side of the parking lot (viewed as you drive in). That's where the Immigration chief and his second-in-command have their offices and they have a building for accounting. That's also where you're suppose to take someone's passport to cancel their visa or extension after they die. Did you know you're suppose to notify Immigration when someone dies? Yup. there's a form for this (but no photos neededtongue.png)

Yeah, you don't want to be asked to go to see someone in one of those offices in the back, in the area behind the copy shop. There are other offices on the left side of the parking lot (viewed as you drive in). That's where the Immigration chief and his second-in-command have their offices and they have a building for accounting. That's also where you're suppose to take someone's passport to cancel their visa or extension after they die. Did you know you're suppose to notify Immigration when someone dies? Yup. there's a form for this (but no photos neededtongue.png)

Not quite so scary as that! Unless in recent months they have changed things around, that is where you make a one-time report of your residence (NOT the 90-day report) for which you will be given a receipt. This is nothing new, but enforcement is somewhat lax, apparently. It is a painless process including documents you would expect: proof of householder, rental or lease documents, in case of marriage, the marriage registration, and, under certain circumstances (if an alien dependent of a foreigner is sheltered) other proof of relationship. Not necessary, probably, to register pets brought from abroad --- at least there.

If you move, you report again. And, according to the officer I spoke with in that office, they do keep a "list" of those who come afoul of the law. Whether or not that applies to making illegal left-hand turns at intersections I do not know.

Not quite so scary as that! Unless in recent months they have changed things around, that is where you make a one-time report of your residence (NOT the 90-day report) for which you will be given a receipt. This is nothing new, but enforcement is somewhat lax, apparently. It is a painless process including documents you would expect: proof of householder, rental or lease documents, in case of marriage, the marriage registration, and, under certain circumstances (if an alien dependent of a foreigner is sheltered) other proof of relationship. Not necessary, probably, to register pets brought from abroad --- at least there.

If you move, you report again. And, according to the officer I spoke with in that office, they do keep a "list" of those who come afoul of the law. Whether or not that applies to making illegal left-hand turns at intersections I do not know.

Thanks Mapguy, Nancy and others I guarantee not many people would know about these requirements. A simple brochure would help rather that you just being expected to know by word of mouth.

Back to my original question is the move to Promenada temporary or permanent ?

Thanks to RPCVguy for the detailed info - very useful for us country people who vote to stay far out of CM and only come when a visit to IMMI beckons. I - and probably many more - have absolutely no idea where Promenada Mall is and I'm sure we'd prefer it to stay that way - but when IMMI beckons, we have to respond as best we can. tongue.png

Thanks again - much appreciated

Cheers

Immigration will be located directly below Tom n Toms. Directly next to it will be an office. And next to that a copy shop. The Burmese building across the street will remain.

The current immigration will have it's last day on the 12th of June. On the 15th they will be at Promenada.

There is direct access to the parking garage from that location, so immigration can open at anytime they see fit.

I know the gm at Promenada, so this is accurate.

Thank you! It is appreciated.

I was at immigration office in Promenada, the guy in desk says it's for Burma, Lao. You only can have residency certificate- for visa, 90 days,.. have to go office near airport.

I was at immigration office in Promenada, the guy in desk says it's for Burma, Lao. You only can have residency certificate- for visa, 90 days,.. have to go office near airport.

Do you mean you were at office over the road from promenada? Because the office at prom is still under construction and wont be open for at least 2-3 weeks.

I would be shocked if they moved the burma office to prom.

Assuming the move happens and Immigration still advise to arrive at 05:00 to be sure of getting a number. Will the queue be outside the entrance to Promenada? Will there be a rush to the office when the doors open? Hopefully it will have the appropriate level of staff to operate normally so none of this is requirred. Setting off to Promenada in the middle of the night wont be easy for people without their own transport.

Assuming the move happens and Immigration still advise to arrive at 05:00 to be sure of getting a number. Will the queue be outside the entrance to Promenada? Will there be a rush to the office when the doors open? Hopefully it will have the appropriate level of staff to operate normally so none of this is requirred. Setting off to Promenada in the middle of the night wont be easy for people without their own transport.

The new prom immigration office entry faces the car park so people will beable be able to queue directly in front of the immigration doors.

For people who don't have their own transport does the move change anything? Apart from having to pay a little bit extra for a tuk tuk / red cab / taxi?

Unless the driver wont accept the job going out to prom at that time of the morning I don't see an issue.

Should the question not be: Why are the Immigration Department not using the conduits available to them [ ThaiVisa/Chiang Mai Expats Club/Chiang Mai Citylife] to let those of us who are affected by any proposed changes know what is going on? All three 'conduits' have connections within the Immigration Department. Without any official declaration there is merely rumour and speculation, and so life goes on as before; until you arrive at 4am for your visa extension at the airport site to find a vacant lot!

My wife asked the guy at the 90 Day desk today. Question was "When are you moving to the new office" answer was "We're not moving." She followed up by saying that she had heard that Immigration was moving to the Promenada Mall, still the same answer "We're not moving". I only heard what was said after we left the building, so I have no idea if he meant the 90 Day reporting is not moving, or if he meant Immigration is not moving, or if he didn't know anything, or if he's been told to say nothing.

He also asked my wife why I didn't do the 90 Day report online, my wife told him it doesn't work for everyone, he said he hadn't heard that, and the office was wondering why not many people were reporting online.

Either Immigration are not passing information to their staff, or he was just being cautious in what he said.

Who knows what is going on. I'm there everyday cause the mrs works there and I haven't seen any builders working in a week. Maybe they pulled out? Knew it was too good to be true, but still hoping they do move.

My wife's aunty has a cousin who is married to a guy who delivers drinking water bottles to the Immigration office. He told his wife he may have to change his working hours in 2 weeks time because they have to start making special deliveries to Promenada. Hmmmmmmmmm..... I guess its true...they are moving.

So....after 5 pages, no idea if they are moving? 5 pages of speculation? Classic.

No speculation at all. The Japanese Embassy received an official notice from Thai Immigration and has sent out e-mail to those registered with it that the Immigration Office will move to the building across from Promenada Mall on June 19th.

That this will actually happen is anyone's guess. After all... TIT!

All the speculation continues... so I called just now and asked whether Immigration would be moving to Promenada Mall this month.

Short answer "NO!"

Still I asked about what was happening...

Longer Answer: "About 2 or 3 months."

Any surprise as to why there is no official word out yet? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I've asked a couple of Japanese people with retirement visa if they received an email from the Japanese consulate telling them of the planned move of Chiang Mai Immigration and they claim they received no such email. They say they do get other emails from the Japanese consulate from time-to-time about things like natural disasters, etc. Sounds like the same type of emails Americans get from the U.S. Consulate. Which also hasn't sent anything to its citizens about a move planned by CM Immigration.

On one of the 90 day reporting threads, someone reported that an Immigration official who processed his 90 day report this week told him that next time he'd be able to do it at Promenada because they're opening a satellite operation for 90 day reports there. That's consistent with what I heard from someone who has a business at Promenada -- that the only functions Immigration will conduct in the mall will be 90 day reporting.

In other words, reports of the entire CM Immigration office pulling up stakes and moving the entire circus to Promenada were probably exaggerated.

I've asked a couple of Japanese people with retirement visa if they received an email from the Japanese consulate telling them of the planned move of Chiang Mai Immigration and they claim they received no such email. They say they do get other emails from the Japanese consulate from time-to-time about things like natural disasters, etc. Sounds like the same type of emails Americans get from the U.S. Consulate. Which also hasn't sent anything to its citizens about a move planned by CM Immigration.

On one of the 90 day reporting threads, someone reported that an Immigration official who processed his 90 day report this week told him that next time he'd be able to do it at Promenada because they're opening a satellite operation for 90 day reports there. That's consistent with what I heard from someone who has a business at Promenada -- that the only functions Immigration will conduct in the mall will be 90 day reporting.

In other words, reports of the entire CM Immigration office pulling up stakes and moving the entire circus to Promenada were probably exaggerated.

sad.pngcrying.gif

I sure did bite my tongue on this one, despite the urge to voice my strong doubts. From the beginning of all the speculation it has been nothing more than 'believe it when you see it'.

Edited by sticklee

I did my marriage extension last week, the officer told me since I need to get the stamp in July towards the end of the month, I would most likely need to go to Promenada to get it, but he wasn't sure if they would be there by that time. His comments about the new office, it is a lot smaller, but has air conditioning and lots of parking.

the only functions Immigration will conduct in the mall will be 90 day reporting.

sad.pngcrying.gif

Theres no way they only do 90 day reporting at prom. For 90 day reporting they only need 1 desk, but at prom they have 1 large shop and 2 or 3 smaller shops. Massive overkill for just 90 days.i

I did my marriage extension last week, the officer told me since I need to get the stamp in July towards the end of the month, I would most likely need to go to Promenada to get it, but he wasn't sure if they would be there by that time. His comments about the new office, it is a lot smaller, but has air conditioning and lots of parking.

This really doesn't make any sense to move to a new office that's smaller -- a lot smaller!

What about all those new staff members that they're suppose to have the authorization to hire, but haven't yet?

Much about this doesn't make sense and the best course is just wait and see what plays out.