Immigration Moving?

ThaiPauly

I did my marriage extension last week, the officer told me since I need to get the stamp in July towards the end of the month, I would most likely need to go to Promenada to get it, but he wasn't sure if they would be there by that time. His comments about the new office, it is a lot smaller, but has air conditioning and lots of parking.

This really doesn't make any sense to move to a new office that's smaller -- a lot smaller!

What about all those new staff members that they're suppose to have the authorization to hire, but haven't yet?

Much about this doesn't make sense and the best course is just wait and see what plays out.

I personally know one new staff member and they undergoing training as we speak.If I find any more info I will post here.

Possibly no one really knows what is going to happen and when, including the big cheese himself.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my marriage extension last week, the officer told me since I need to get the stamp in July towards the end of the month, I would most likely need to go to Promenada to get it, but he wasn't sure if they would be there by that time. His comments about the new office, it is a lot smaller, but has air conditioning and lots of parking.

This really doesn't make any sense to move to a new office that's smaller -- a lot smaller!

What about all those new staff members that they're suppose to have the authorization to hire, but haven't yet?

Much about this doesn't make sense and the best course is just wait and see what plays out.

Maybe, we wait outside, until called in?

Well if all they are going to do is 90 day there it makes sense. But in no way will help speed up the other things immigration is doing in their present location.

• 2 weeks later...

"the immigration office will close at the current location close to the airport and will open mid July at prom.

They will be located in Building A underneath Tom n Tom Coffee.

Besides the immigration office they will open together with the IT department of the government Sipa"

As good a source as you will get.

"the immigration office will close at the current location close to the airport and will open mid July at prom.

Besides the immigration office they will open together with the IT department of the government Sipa"

Is the source a secret? Is this your "Deep Throat"? (Watergate scandal, people.)

Is the source a secret? Is this your "Deep Throat"? (Watergate scandal, people.)

Trust me, I used to sell cars before I became a lawyer who sold financial services.

FWIW there is an email doing the rounds:

Good morning Michael,

The “buzz” is correct as the immigration office will close at the current location close to the airport and will open mid July @prom.

They will be located in Building A underneath Tom ‘n Tom Coffee.

Besides the immigration office we will open together with the IT department of the government (=SIPA) a 524 sqm co-working space on the ground floor of Building B and our 24 hour fitness (= 1745 sqm) has start fitting-out as well and is scheduled to be open end of September.

And still more to come @prom.

Best regards,

Marc Vermeulen
Director Promenada

I have no idea who Michael is, it was not he who forwarded the email to me, nor whether this Marc Vermeulen exists/actually originated the message.

I don't think Marc is authorized to send press releases on behalf of the government. Just because they've leased space at Promenada doesn't mean Immigration is moving. Maybe someone told him that, but that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. I know in the U.S., the federal gov't would sometimes "plan" to do something, sign a lease and then there would be a change of plans and the building would sit empty for the life of the lease.

I don't think Marc is authorized to send press releases on behalf of the government. Just because they've leased space at Promenada doesn't mean Immigration is moving. Maybe someone told him that, but that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. I know in the U.S., the federal gov't would sometimes "plan" to do something, sign a lease and then there would be a change of plans and the building would sit empty for the life of the lease.

This comment is only based on hearsay but I wouldn't expect units at Promenada are expensive to lease these days; especially for those who have connections. I am told there are a lot of buy one get one free sales much of the time. Governments all over the world are renowned for wasting money.

Alowing sum minites to corruct tipos witout the 'endited' repert appealing wuld be an appresiated inprovement

Edited by Caspersfriend

Marc certainly exists and is a director of Promenada. A very nice chap and recently became a family man.

But did the letter originate with him?

I have heard a rumour that it was actually written by another man with the same name.

It is alleged he does not require authorization from the government to write emails.

Apparently it has been suggested that writing an email does not constitute issuing a press release.

Deny everything Baldrick

Hello Nancy,

You are respected on this forum as being knowledgeable and well-connected in these matters.

Why is there so much speculation and so little fact being reported?

We are not discussing a matter of national security, but simply a possible change which has implications to all of us who are obliged to extend our tenure via the government immigration office.

If indeed there is to be a different location for all or any functions of the immigration services then why, in your opinion, do they not simply announce it?

To other readers: I have been here for a while and do understand the way things are. I would however like to hear Nancy's opinion on this specific situation.

Hello Nancy,

You are respected on this forum as being knowledgeable and well-connected in these matters.

We are not discussing a matter of national security, but simply a possible change which has implications to all of us who are obliged to extend our tenure via the government immigration office.

If indeed there is to be a different location for all or any functions of the immigration services then why, in your opinion, do they not simply announce it?

To other readers: I have been here for a while and do understand the way things are. I would however like to hear Nancy's opinion on this specific situation.

Caspersfriend -- if you've really been here a while and you understand the way things are then you should understand that this specific situation isn't much different from other specific situations.

Actually, it really isn't much different from similar geographic moves involving bureaucracies back in our home countries. At least, the Fortune 100 company I worked for could act like this at times -- with managers thinking they had the go-ahead to do something, a certain level of autonomy, only to have the Big Boys come in a pull the rug out after they were well into implementing a project. After that happens a few times, you become very reluctant to start making announcements about what you're "fixin' ta" do until after it's implemented and darn near impossible for the Big Boys to undo, all in the name of "the company has decided to pursue a different strategic direction".

In the long run, does it really matter to us mere customers if it's going to be next week, next month or next quarter? If you knew, would you be doing anything any differently in your life?

The reason there hasn't been any announcements, I suspect, is because there aren't enough details yet known.

Edited by NancyL

Hello Nancy,

Caspersfriend -- if you've really been here a while and you understand the way things are then you should understand that this specific situation isn't much different from other specific situations.

Actually, it really isn't much different from similar geographic moves involving bureaucracies back in our home countries. At least, the Fortune 100 company I worked for could act like this at times -- with managers thinking they had the go-ahead to do something, a certain level of autonomy, only to have the Big Boys come in a pull the rug out after they were well into implementing a project. After that happens a few times, you become very reluctant to start making announcements about what you're "fixin' ta" do until after it's implemented and darn near impossible for the Big Boys to undo, all in the name of "the company has decided to pursue a different strategic direction".

In the long run, does it really matter to us mere customers if it's going to be next week, next month or next quarter? If you knew, would you be doing anything any differently in your life?

The reason there hasn't been any announcements, I suspect, is because there aren't enough details yet known.

Nancy is correct its not a major issue when it moves or the date,there will still be an Immigration Office in CM.Obviously the day it moves you will hear about it here.

I would think that the lady that runs probably the most profitable coffee shop in CM would know the date and that her golden run will end.coffee1.gif

I had confirmation of the move as posted here >http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790279-promenada-the-beginning-of-the-end/?p=9405712 and speculated that this will be a temporary measure for the duration of building new premises on the airport site.

I'm sure Cafe Tor Mor may find an @Prom location to serve early Immi patrons their heart starters or perhaps take a well earned holiday(?). Prom has plenty of coffee shops which open after 10am.

20150617_140245.jpg < Premises below Tomtoms.

The new premises, if it does happen at the present site,will most likely, extend out over the present car park.That was told to me quite a while ago by the youngish ,helpful guy that services the counter on the left hand side.That will, of course, wipe out any parking so with the airport parking area almost to capacity now it leaves the service station and Airport Plaza....no big deal.

Hopefully if it happens they will go min 2 levels and create much more space as the influx of new residents shows no sign of abating.

The new premises, if it does happen at the present site,will most likely, extend out over the present car park.That was told to me quite a while ago by the youngish ,helpful guy that services the counter on the left hand side.That will, of course, wipe out any parking so with the airport parking area almost to capacity now it leaves the service station and Airport Plaza....no big deal.

Hopefully if it happens they will go min 2 levels and create much more space as the influx of new residents shows no sign of abating.

Perhaps a new moat beyond the outer ring road to help prevent a further influx?