Immigration Moving?

ThaiPauly

We were at Lanna School this morning doing a garage sale.

On the table next to us was a Captain from The Immigration department that my wife knows to say hello to.

Anyway they got talking, she told my wife that the whole department was moving to Promenada next month.

As this seemed to me like "NEW NEWS" I made a point of asking her myself for confirmation and she told me in English that they were moving.

It seems strange to me that with less than half the month remaining that nobody knows about it?

It may not be true of course, but there is no smoke without fire, she is after all a high ranking officer.

Make of it what you will, if anyone knows any immigration officials, or if anyone is going to immigration on Monday maybe they could confirm this?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's been confirmed by a couple of people on the 'Promenada - beginning of the end' (or similar title thread) on this forum. I was thinking it was time for a specific thread on this important topic, so well done for starting it. Sounds like good news for us farangs and for the shopping mall. Just hope they get a few more staff to man the place.

Immi sandwiched between TomTom coffee and WineConnections is good news for morning caffeine addicts and lunchtime pizza specials. I imagine the deck outside will permit early am queueing and access before the Mall opens.

Fit-out is barely started although usable office space is approx double that of the current shack.

Now I'll have to share Prom with all the riff raff sad.png

Sad - but true....I was at immigration last week for the first time in a couple of years.....The way people dressed was appalling - even when you discount the flakey ones and look at the rest.....A minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner - clean/pressed/groomed nice casual attire....

The rest I wouldn't want to see in my neighborhood/area.....

Maybe I was there at a bad time but these people would NOT look good -or natural/in their element walking around a nice shopping mall....Possibly a Walmart in Reno Nev or Vidor/Beaumont Tex or border town somewhere.....

I wouldn't get your hopes up... I don't thing they mean the Promenade Mall...

They most likely mean the Immigration office near Promenade Mall where they have the address verification scam...

And if so I hope they at least pave the parking lot... coffee1.gif

Sad - but true....I was at immigration last week for the first time in a couple of years.....The way people dressed was appalling - even when you discount the flakey ones and look at the rest.....A minority of us were dressed in a presentable manner - clean/pressed/groomed nice casual attire....

Maybe I was there at a bad time but these people would NOT look good -or natural/in their element walking around a nice shopping mall....Possibly a Walmart in Reno Nev or Vidor/Beaumont Tex or border town somewhere.....

I was thinking another descriptive word would be Eurotrash. Let's do some equal opportunity bashing, if you don't mind.

(Say what you will about the Chinese -- while they're loud and obnoxious, at least they look and smell good while they're doing it!)

Immi sandwiched between TomTom coffee and WineConnections is good news for morning caffeine addicts and lunchtime pizza specials. I imagine the deck outside will permit early am queueing and access before the Mall opens.

Fit-out is barely started although usable office space is approx double that of the current shack.

Just thought I would repost it. some people just don't bother with the facts just jump to conclusions.

to bad this is starting to turn into a raciest thread. Some people just never miss a chance to make them selves feel better than others.

They most likely mean the Immigration office near Promenade Mall where they have the address verification scam...

Yes, they go into the Promenada building.I got this first hand from organisation staff at Promenada.

As mentioned by me in an earlier thread, Immi have 'the keys' for the area from june first onwards.

When they will start operating there is a second thing.

You weren't there at a"bad time". That's how it is all of the time! It should be a requirement to bathe and wear clean clothes at Immigration or be sent home for failure to comply.

Yes, they go into the Promenada building.I got this first hand from organisation staff at Promenada.

As mentioned by me in an earlier thread, Immi have 'the keys' for the area from june first onwards.

When they will start operating there is a second thing.

A the saying goes "Thai Time"

Yes this could take some time

Let's not jump to conclusions about "all of Immigration" moving out to Promenada. One person who is at Promenada frequently told me he thinks the area they're working on is much too small to hold all of the current staff, let alone any additional staff members. He though perhaps they're just moving some functions out of the location near the airport.

If so, that could still be good in relieving the congestion at the current location, but it may not be the "saving of Promenda" unless they move the entire operation out there.

Let's not jump to conclusions about "all of Immigration" moving out to Promenada. One person who is at Promenada frequently told me he thinks the area they're working on is much too small to hold all of the current staff, let alone any additional staff members. He though perhaps they're just moving some functions out of the location near the airport.

If so, that could still be good in relieving the congestion at the current location, but it may not be the "saving of Promenda" unless they move the entire operation out there.

They are defiantly recruiting more staff I was speaking to one last night, been training for the last two weeks.

This sounds more sence

As there is more people retiring in Chiang Mai

They need to get the people thought the system daily

Rather than having to come back that day or the following day

You weren't there at a"bad time". That's how it is all of the time! It should be a requirement to bathe and wear clean clothes at Immigration or be sent home for failure to comply.

In the Philippines they enforce dress standards in all government departments. For males you must have collared shirt and wearing long trousers. Failure to abide by this standard will see you being asked to leave the building. Seemed a bit pedantic when I first went to a Philippine Immigration office, but after a while I became use to it. It was a bigger shock for the rope head Rastafarians.....made me laugh when they were asked to leave and come back suitably dressed. Flour bag shorts, tie die wife beater and Jesus sandals didn't really cut the mustard.

And it was quite warm at that place too, shorts were the preferred clothing normally so I found those trousers that allow you to zip off the legs...... Excellent for immigration appointments.

Luckily it isn't so strict here but I would like to see some standards brought in. I pity the immigration staff having to deal with and be polite to these types whom appear to be recovering from a hard night on the booze. Combined with dirty clothes, matted hair and poor personal hygiene....it cannot be very pleasant for the immigration staff.

Fortunately I use an agent nowadays so I manage to escape the great unwashed.

Just my opinion mind......FWIW

This sounds more sence

As there is more people retiring in Chiang Mai

They need to get the people thought the system daily

Rather than having to come back that day or the following day

Without jumping to conclusions, it makes little sense to move only part of the Visa Extensions/Reporting office. Especially if this is a temporary measure due to long awaited redevelopment of the old site.

The white building opposite Airport site is a logistics company HQ and depot.... pretty flash too!

The Promenada Mall opens at 10am, but the Immigration Office opens at 8.30 am, so how is that going to work? Also, unless Immigration employs more staff, the night security staff at the Mall are not going to be happy with visa extension applicants arriving at 5am.

The Promenada Mall opens at 10am, but the Immigration Office opens at 8.30 am, so how is that going to work? Also, unless Immigration employs more staff, the night security staff at the Mall are not going to be happy with visa extension applicants arriving at 5am.

True but all will be revealed in "Thai" time until then everything is pure speculation.Lets say that things appear to be moving in the right direction

What is it with you people and your fashion fetishes? seriously, I have been here for years and been to Imm. too many times and can't remember more than a couple of people that badly turned out. The fact you feel the majority have it wrong reflects more on your fetish than on them.... oh well whatever it takes for you to feel superior to the unwashed masses... I think I understand, poor guy.

There's a clue in post #7.

The unit immigration has is accessible from outside of the mall building.

What is it with you people and your fashion fetishes? seriously, I have been here for years and been to Imm. too many times and can't remember more than a couple of people that badly turned out. The fact you feel the majority have it wrong reflects more on your fetish than on them.... oh well whatever it takes for you to feel superior to the unwashed masses... I think I understand, poor guy.

Could care less whether you comprehend or not.....We are in somebody elses "house"....And we are asking their permission to remain here.....As a matter respect and courtesy to our hosts we should represent ourselves accordingly while asking.....Not too hard to understand and no fetish required.....If that's beyond you so be it.......

Archived