Report on non-0 retirement in Veintaine

We are American citizens living in Thailand for 9 years. My wife recently resigned her job after 8 years with a Thai company sponsored Non-O B and work permit.

With the application downloaded from the Lao Embassy site and copies of an affidavit confirming income and residence along with two photos we went from our hotel to the Thai Counsulate via Tuk Tuk at 8am. (We tried to find it walking the day before, Sunday, but the map from the site was very old). We arrived at the Counsulate at 8:30, opening time. There was already a long line. About 8o peopple ahead of us.

There are two or three Lao stalls offering to organize your paper work and make any copies needed for 100 Baht. Well worth it since she did not have all the passport copies required.

After getting que number 87 we waited 2 hours outisde. Hot and disorganized. No signs informing applicants how the que works. After getting your number you wait until a staff memeber shouts out a group of 10 numbers. When your group is called (ie: 41 to 50) get on line quickly at window 1 or 2. After her paperwork was approved a receipt was issued for payment inside at window 3. After getting the paid receipt we left.

Returning the next afternoon around 1:30 there was again a large crowd in front of the building entrance since signs stated that passports may be claimed at a window inside. Actually we had to que outside using her original number - same system, same windows - and her passport was returned there. The visa was pasted inside her passport,

On arrival at BKK the officer took her to his supervisor since there was still a Non-O B visa in her passport. The supervisor asked my wife which visa she wanted to enter using. A big favor considering we did not think about that. He noted that the Non-O B was not used and that was that. 90 day entry no problem.

I will report on her application for extension next week.

The supervisor asked my wife which visa she wanted to enter using.

Should have written the visa number in the space provided on the arrival card. People who don't do that risk being stamped in on a visa exempt entry or, in your case, the wrong visa.

The supervisor asked my wife which visa she wanted to enter using.

Should have written the visa number in the space provided on the arrival card. People who don't do that risk being stamped in on a visa exempt entry or, in your case, the wrong visa.

I entered Thailand with a valid second entry on my Tourist Visa and my newly issued Non Imm. O visa. I entered the Non Imm. O visa number on my arrival card which was totally ignored by the IO who was going to land me on the 2nd entry of my TR visa.

But at least I had done my due diligence.