When is the time to give up doing long road trips?

I had a stroke 19 months ago that knocked the hell out of me. I was 64, and only 4 months away from being 65. But before that happened, I did 2-4 day road trips every month on my CBR 20. Sometimes it was a planned trip, with a certain city picked out, and other times it was just get on the bike, drive, and end up wherever.

Ok, had to sell the CBR, which was a seriously painful thing to have to do, but hell, I couldn't even walk, so.....

Now I can walk again. Not far, and there's a serious lack of strength in the legs, but I'll be damned if I'll give up, and just be some "old codger" sitting around. I have a picture of a new Honda CB300f taped up on the wall of my office, and everyone knows that is my next bike. And my wife knows that the day I buy it, don't look for me to come home for 2-3 days, cause I'm going for a ride!

NOTE. Just noticed I wrote CBR 20, and it should have been CBR 250. Ok, so I'm old, sue me. lol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest concern on a bike is that if I ever drop it I will have a job getting it back up again and even more so if I am underneath part of it.

Having said that when I dropped my Yamaha Virago 535 3 years ago I was lucky enough only to be pinned by my wet suit and I managed (just) to pick it up. 2 guys in a pickup stopped and asked if I needed some help. I said no thank you (and thought where were you 2 minutes ago when I needed some help).

Next time (if there is a next time) I will ask for some help.

I dont think age has anything to do with it either. Its the shape your in and the equipment you use. I know guys in there forties that get winded reaching for a bag of fries....and guys near seventy riding big bikes......For myself I loved sport bikes know I still do but not for a long trip.....My buddy goes to Sturgis every year.....tows his bike on the back of the motorhome....gets there and rides everyday. The other members of the group used to laugh at him......now at 71 they dont.

One of the guys in our club is 67 and still rides his Harley with us when we go on trips (anywhere, everywhere). Couple more are mid-50s to early 60s. I'd say the time to give it up is when you can no longer handle the bike (safely) and the trips leave you in enough discomfort that the ride itself doesn't make up for. At some point you may find you are excusing yourself from the longer trips, then the shorter ones as well, until one day you realize that the last time you took your bike out for a ride was last year's Bike Week.

There is no set time to give up the "long" trips. You stop doing them when it is no longer enjoyable for you.

It depends on individual ability. I don't drive at night now because my peripheral vision is poor in the dark. Driving within your limitations is good, giving up when you become a danger to yourself and other road users is even better. Although if that dictum was observed in Thailand, 50% of drivers would go missing overnight.

My biggest concern on a bike is that if I ever drop it I will have a job getting it back up again and even more so if I am underneath part of it.

Having said that when I dropped my Yamaha Virago 535 3 years ago I was lucky enough only to be pinned by my wet suit and I managed (just) to pick it up. 2 guys in a pickup stopped and asked if I needed some help. I said no thank you (and thought where were you 2 minutes ago when I needed some help).

187kg. is a lot.

IMO

Really, ~120kg is all I can handle.sad.png

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

187kg. is a lot.

IMO

When picking up a motorcycle that is on his side, you don't carry the full load, as the lever effects applies. The biggest part of the weight is in the lower part of the bike.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Around 3.000km roundtrip

https://goo.gl/maps/LlHiC

My dad does these trips quite frequently with his Goldwing Club. Last year it was Greece, before Germany, Turkey, Spain...

I would doubt whether the drivers in those countries have the very low mentality of most of the Thai drivers.

I suppose you will have told your dad about them, or has he ever experienced them for himself?

He's never been here, but I told him many times.

I got taken down just yesterday. ..was about to turn right, when a young guy had the brilliant idea to overtake me on the right, sending us both flying.

Ouch Speedy recovery

I had a stroke 19 months ago that knocked the hell out of me. I was 64, and only 4 months away from being 65. But before that happened, I did 2-4 day road trips every month on my CBR 20. Sometimes it was a planned trip, with a certain city picked out, and other times it was just get on the bike, drive, and end up wherever.

Ok, had to sell the CBR, which was a seriously painful thing to have to do, but hell, I couldn't even walk, so.....

Now I can walk again. Not far, and there's a serious lack of strength in the legs, but I'll be damned if I'll give up, and just be some "old codger" sitting around. I have a picture of a new Honda CB300f taped up on the wall of my office, and everyone knows that is my next bike. And my wife knows that the day I buy it, don't look for me to come home for 2-3 days, cause I'm going for a ride!

You're going to be gone longer... Go for it.. you're on your way.. I admire your tenacity.. cheers mate

187kg. is a lot.

IMO

When picking up a motorcycle that is on his side, you don't carry the full load, as the lever effects applies. The biggest part of the weight is in the lower part of the bike.

Great analysis.

Yes, in a perfect world, a fallen bike would be on its side, on a dry, level, firm, safe surface.

But, I have found the SNAFU effect usually applies..

Crap, man. Looks nasty. Turning right is always a terrifying prospect in Thai.

Around 3.000km roundtrip

https://goo.gl/maps/LlHiC

My dad does these trips quite frequently with his Goldwing Club. Last year it was Greece, before Germany, Turkey, Spain...

I would doubt whether the drivers in those countries have the very low mentality of most of the Thai drivers.

I suppose you will have told your dad about them, or has he ever experienced them for himself?

He's never been here, but I told him many times.

I got taken down just yesterday. ..was about to turn right, when a young guy had the brilliant idea to overtake me on the right, sending us both flying.

When is the time ............. 90% of replies are comments on bike riding. At 68 MaeChan to Chiang Mai is far enough on my PCX 150. In the Toyota we went to Hua-Hin but took 2 days from up near the border with Myanmar. Biking can just be too hot and at 68 ...why not do a stop over ,500B for a hotel and maybe somewhere new to see. I've retired . dont need to get anywhere quick.

Couple of years back I did 770 kilometers in one day on the CBR. Got home, and had to almost crawl into the house.

Wife: "You ok?"

Me: "Yeah, I'm fine."

Wife: "Where you go?"

Me: "Tak, then Phitsanulok, then back to Chiang Mai."

Wife: "How far?"

Me: "770 Kilometers."

Wife: "You not fine. You crazy!"

Me: Just laugh.

Were you 66 years old at the time?

No, I was 65, but only a couple of months from 66. tongue.png

Physical ability is more important than actual age. At 62 I had a complete physical and the doctors said I was in better health and physical shape than 80% of the guys 20 years younger. Got a friend back in the States who was 77 when I left, 7 years ago, and still riding the hell out of his 1,000cc Kawasaki every weekend. But then the stroke hit and changed all that. Once I'm back on my feet, and with a new CB300f, I'll be hitting the road again. Granted, more than likely I won't be doing the 160kph+ I did before, but, hell, we all have to make some sacrifices. lol

Edited by Just1Voice

Maybe you should give it up when you start asking yourself and/or others should you give it up.

As for me, I've been traveling the world since I was 21 y.o., and I just turned 70 and am still going strong. No more hitchhiking through South America, or 3-days on a 4th-class train through Sudanese desert, or hiking & canoeing in the Amazon jungle in search of ayahuasca, but I'll be in Tibet in August for the goji berry harvest ... and I hope to continue traveling until the final big trip.

EDIT: I see many are commenting about motorcycle "road trips." Don't know if that's what the OP meant, but I let my post stand anyway. BTW, I was much younger then, but when discharged from US Army in Germany in 1967 I motor biked from England, thru Paris, Madrid, Gibraltar, and then rode from Morocco over the Atlas Mts. and across Algeria and Tunisia. Then hitchhiked through Egypt, Sudan, Uganda, Kenya & Tanzania ... then took tramp steamer to India and traveled 3rd class train for 5,000 miles and wound up in Katmandu, Nepal with the first wave of hippies from San Francisco. Those days are gone forever. No Lonely Planet Guides then ... only the notebook in your pocket filled with travel tips from your fellow road trippers.

Edited by HerbalEd

Well, I did give up doing HALO jumps. Did my last one on my 59th birthday. Had a hell of a time convincing the Jump Master that it was NOT my first time, by any means, but would be my last.

Ahh.

HALO still on BL.

& identical twins. whistling.gif

Edited by papa al

Were you 66 years old at the time?

No, I was 65, but only a couple of months from 66. tongue.png

Physical ability is more important than actual age. At 62 I had a complete physical and the doctors said I was in better health and physical shape than 80% of the guys 20 years younger. Got a friend back in the States who was 77 when I left, 7 years ago, and still riding the hell out of his 1,000cc Kawasaki every weekend. But then the stroke hit and changed all that. Once I'm back on my feet, and with a new CB300f, I'll be hitting the road again. Granted, more than likely I won't be doing the 160kph+ I did before, but, hell, we all have to make some sacrifices. lol

Ahh!

But 66 years+ since conception!

I think my 'wacky' theory has legs! thumbsup.gif

The doc said you were healthy and then you stroked out?

IMO that doesn't add up.

Only someone with cardiovascular problems will CVA.

Go raw vegan for a few months.

That'll clean out the tubes & get you back out there.

I'm 70 in November, regularly ride to my partners parents home in Dan Chang from Pattaya, it takes on average six hours I stop only for fuel twice, no rests, when I arrive I take all the family dogs out for a walk in the jungle, with my partners family asking why is he not tired? When I get on the bike, a Honda Silverwing its like switching on a light, no matter how tired I might be. I should also mention I play squash to a high standard, am a qualified scuba instructor, I like also exploring cave systems and whitewater rafting. After two years of toing and frowing between the UK and Thailand for medical treatment, I learned last week that I had beaten Bladder Cancer, will be back in Thailand in Three weeks, and already have several long rides planned, riding my bike with all the concentration that is needed due to road conditions and Thai drivers makes me feel alive, the moment I stop enjoying it is when I'll give up, but like all the other activities that is going to be (god willing) a long time yet