Bay of Bengal migrant crisis: the boats and the numbers

Lite Beer

Bay of Bengal migrant crisis: the boats and the numbers

BANGKOK (AFP) - In recent days nearly 3,000 boat people from Myanmar and Bangladesh have been rescued or swum to shore in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Several thousand more are believed to remain trapped on boats at sea with little food or water in a crisis sparked by smugglers abandoning their human cargo that is believed to follow a Thai crackdown on the trade.

The UN refugee agency believes an estimated 25,000 Rohingya and Bangladeshis have taken to boats in the first three months of this year -- double the number over the same period in 2014.

The following is a regional summary of the current "boat people" crisis:

- Malaysia -

============

More than 1,100 migrants have washed ashore in Malaysia over the past week after people-smuggling gangs dumped migrants in shallow waters off the coast of the resort island of Langkawi.

Some migrants swam to shore after harrowing month-long journeys at sea, crammed in with hundreds of other people and few supplies.

Malaysia’s Prime Minister Najib Razak has joined Thailand in calling on Myanmar -- where many boats carrying migrants from the persecuted Rohingya minority originate -- to help address the burgeoning "humanitarian catastrophe".

Myanmar has so far refused to acknowledge its role in the crisis.

- Indonesia -

=============

Around 1,500 migrants have been intercepted by Indonesian authorities or plucked from the sea -- many in a desperate condition.

On Friday around 900 Bangladeshis and Rohingya migrants were rescued from the sea after their boat sank off the east coast of Sumatra.

Survivors told of people being thrown overboard in fighting over dwindling food supplies. Some of the Bangladeshis on board said they had been kidnapped and taken to sea.

Last Sunday Indonesian authorities intercepted a boat off the coast of northwestern Aceh province rescuing more than 600 migrants.

A second vessel carrying about 400 migrants was spotted the following day by Indonesian navy vessels. The boat was damaged but afloat and its captain had fled.

Indonesia’s navy provided the boat with fuel and then towed it out of their waters, declining to say if it was heading to Malaysia, its suspected destination.

- Thailand -

============

On Thursday a boat carrying an estimated 300 Rohingya migrants was found adrift several kilometres off the Thai tourist resort of Koh Lipe.

Authorities dropped food and water into the sea from a helicopter, prompting a desperate scramble to retrieve the packages.

Some of the visibly-weak migrants said they wanted to go to Malaysia and the Thais fixed their broken engine and pointed them south.

But the boat was still drifting on Saturday in between Thai and Malaysian waters, with neither country seemingly keen to let them make shore.

On Friday around 100 migrants from a separate boat made it to land in southern Thailand.

Advocacy groups believe there may be several other boats in the vicinity, with people smugglers believed to be among the passengers.

Since May 1 some 250 migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar have been found in jungle camps in the southern Thai province of Songkhla, bordering Malaysia.

- Bay of Bengal -

=================

Coastal towns along Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazaar district and Myanmar’s Rakhine State are the starting point for most migrant journeys.

A trawler with 116 Malaysia-bound migrants was found adrift off a small island, near the Myanmar border.

Small vessels carry migrants out to larger "cargo" boats moored in international waters, which head towards Southeast Asia when full.

Chris Lewa of Arakan Project, a group advocating for the rights of Rohingya, said her contacts had told her that five cargo vessels left in early May headed east.

"These boats usually carry between 250-800 people. So there could be at least another 1,000 on their way," she said.

Two remain moored in the Bay of Bengal but are not thought to be taking on any more people at the moment, she added.

Police have killed several key players in the trade, while dozens of lower level people smugglers have been rounded up.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/aec/Bay-of-Bengal-migrant-crisis-the-boats-and-the-num-30260286.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-16

If I were the PM of Thailand I would step up to the plate He is in the position to change how the western world views the coup and his leadership. If I were him I would get on the line to Washington DC State department and request assistance in setting up shelters for these people also have the UN send in aid to help. With UN peace keeping forces to help control this influx of people. By doing that the US would be hard pressed to say NO. It would be the biggest political coup that he could ever hope for and it falling right in his lap. One word from him asking for help not only would it flow but with it thousands of, no make that millions of US dollars would flow in to Thailand the PM's face would be plastered all over the media maybe even a nobel peace prize too. But the time is now if you wait some one else will do it.

If I were the PM of Thailand I would step up to the plate He is in the position to change how the western world views the coup and his leadership. If I were him I would get on the line to Washington DC State department and request assistance in setting up shelters for these people also have the UN send in aid to help. With UN peace keeping forces to help control this influx of people. By doing that the US would be hard pressed to say NO. It would be the biggest political coup that he could ever hope for and it falling right in his lap. One word from him asking for help not only would it flow but with it thousands of, no make that millions of US dollars would flow in to Thailand the PM's face would be plastered all over the media maybe even a nobel peace prize too. But the time is now if you wait some one else will do it.

Hardly likely , they wont even acknowledge that they need UN help for the trouble in the sth.

If thousands of migrant are allowed to starve to death on boats in the Bay

of Bengal, the countries of SE Asia will take a hit they will never recover

from. Basically seen as heartless bastards, not an easy label to recover

from.....

The latest set of numbers indicates there is about 8,000 migrants bobbing about on the ocean ,these are big problems that need to be taken a lot more seriously from Asean countries , lets not for get that Burma is also a member of Asean , lets see just how helpful other Asean countries are, that in it's self will set the stage for the future of Asean I give it 7 years.coffee1.gif

from.....

Sounds familiar could be a quote for a certain English speaking European country who doesn't want to take any more 'immigrants'?

It's just not in the DNA they know only to lie, cheat, exploit, steal, blame others and take no responsibility.

Supporting these refugees will upset the PM's supporters for sure. He looks better at home if he appears to be protecting the Thai way and only blaming Myanmar. As much as I wish governments would show more humanity in trying to end this crisis, there aren't any countries that will look kindly upon their leaders accepting refugees who are believed to create a unwelcome burden on the country.

Dream on Strangebrew, dream on... I am actually not sure whether or not i should envy you for the naive perception you have on the world and our leaders... It's 2015, pal! And by now most people understand that the good ones do not necessarily wear white and the evil ones not necessarily are dressed in black... UN, WHO etc. give a toss about these people, by helping them there is no financial gain, no ways to grab any country's infrastructure or harvest any natural resources until nothing is left... No, taking them in just causes more problems, more costs. In the world of today they are referred to as human garbage and dealt with accordingly. I see little to no hope for them, but wait... Perhaps the US occupying forces in Germany could order the ever submissive and US loyal chancellor Merkel to take them all in - with the hundreds of thousands of immigrants flocking into that dying country yearly, the few thousand Rohingya would not even cause a ripple. thumbsup.gif

Edited by catweazle

As noble and reasonable your idea is,- unfortunately I don't see any Thainess in it. As long as the millions of Dollars are not here and allocated - no deeds. And as long as this "Thailand No.1 attitude" exists there is no need for gaining a reputation recognized by the rest of the world.

As noble and reasonable your idea is,- unfortunately I don't see any Thainess in it. As long as the millions of Dollars are not here and allocated - no deeds. And as long as this "Thailand No.1 attitude" exists there is no need for gaining a reputation recognized by the rest of the world.

Righty, rrrighty, Lupatria! Plus would Thainess mean to take the money, yes! But later have a change of heart and find easy ways to not deliver while keeping the stash smile.png

Edited by catweazle

To put the record straight the UK has taken in many migrants -these are just a few thousand at most

sounds familiar could be a quote for a certain English speaking European country who doesn't want to take any more 'immigrants'?The EU countries have taken in many thousands of migrants

While I understand the principal behind your thoughts, until Muslims can be trusted I would refuse entry.

In the South over 6000 men women and children have been murdered by these animals, including a 9 year old boy beheaded a few weeks ago.

Half the Islamic world seem to want to move into non Islamic countries, then they make trouble for the rest of us.

And, once you 'invite' the UN in to oversee this, you are then faced with a real problem when the UN request they wish to 'observe' the elections -when and if they ever take place.

Shame on Thailand for offering no humanitarian help for these poor people!

what rubbish ... Thailand has done the correct thing. Given them food, water & fuel & hopefully sent them on their merry way ...... .

You as many other people here don't understand the true situation ... I've been to Myanmar , I've seen there camps and villages and seen what destruction they can do to Buddhist houses and Christian houses .... they burn them down and kill the families inside.

You bleating hearts people don't understand the reality of all of this ... some of these people are extreme radicals and they will stop at nothing to get something.

You say Thailand hasn't done good. What if Thailand set up a camp for these muslims / Bangalies ?

That would cause all sorts of problems with Thailand being a Buddhists nation not to mention it would open the flood gates for another 100,000 to come immediately ....

Your comment is just talk, you don't really have a clue about the real happenings in Burma.

All the agencies, UN, Human rights and others and the US know very well about this and all any of them has offered are words and condemnation.

Thailand is now being blamed for these people being stuck on boats because they have denied the smugglers the use of Thai territory to use as a staging point.

They were vilified for letting the human traffickers use Thailand as a base now they are being blamed for the crisis that has arisen because they have prevented them using Thailand.

The fact remains that these people are on these boats and something has to be done about it. Only a small proportion apparently are actually in Thai waters and it would seem there are still boats to the north which no longer have the option of a destination farther south. If Burma disowns any part in the problem and refuses to do anything then that leaves the people on those boats with nowhere to go as they cant go back to where they came from.

There is no doubt that from a humanitarian point of view that Thailand should take the people off any boats in Thai waters but the dilemma is that once the boats in the north (and south for that matter) hear of this they know have a place to head for that will take them. With Burma claiming it is Thailands problem which they want no part of, and Malaysia and Indonesia saying they don't want them then Thailand becomes the default destination.

Indonesia has said it will only help boats that are sinking so now we see the boats that they are finding are sinking, not to difficult to pull the plug (open the seacocks or hack a hole in the bottom) The people on the boats have found a way.

I hope it is getting through to those in Bangladesh and Burma who were thinking of getting on boats for a better life that they no longer have the option for the only way to stop this insidious trade is to keep them out of the hands of the traffickers.

Does anyone remember where the Vietnamese "boat people" went? It was not to Asian countries. The countries that stepped up (other than the U.S. which had no moral option to do otherwise) did so on the on humanitarian grounds. Do you seriously think that they would not do the same again in this case? It's fun to be negative and cynical but the world is not made up of xenophobic Asian countries. The rules of the global game are that Thailand MUST ask for help or none will be sent. The only reason they are hesitating is that it will expose the extent of their duplicity to the world.

To put the record straight the UK has taken in many migrants -these are just a few thousand at most

sounds familiar could be a quote for a certain English speaking European country who doesn't want to take any more 'immigrants'?The EU countries have taken in many thousands of migrants

The UK have taken in thousands of refugees, most of them are Muslims fleeing Muslim countries. I can understand the situation of the Burmese people they have been kicked out but the Bengaldesh migrants are not forced to leave.

from.....

I'm not sure about that. Singapore had a 'push-em-back-out' policy during the Vietnam boat people era, and the country has certainly not suffered as a result. In fact, many thousands of Vietnamese died in those days, perhaps as many as 400,000. Media attention and public memory is much shorter than you seem to think.

Shame on Thailand for offering no humanitarian help for these poor people!

what rubbish ... Thailand has done the correct thing. Given them food, water & fuel & hopefully sent them on their merry way ...... .

You as many other people here don't understand the true situation ... I've been to Myanmar , I've seen there camps and villages and seen what destruction they can do to Buddhist houses and Christian houses .... they burn them down and kill the families inside.

You bleating hearts people don't understand the reality of all of this ... some of these people are extreme radicals and they will stop at nothing to get something.

You say Thailand hasn't done good. What if Thailand set up a camp for these muslims / Bangalies ?

That would cause all sorts of problems with Thailand being a Buddhists nation not to mention it would open the flood gates for another 100,000 to come immediately ....

Your comment is just talk, you don't really have a clue about the real happenings in Burma.

Thailand has done everything right? What a nonsense. Human traffickers in Thailand have set up the infrastructure to extort, rape, torture and sell these people into slavery. Now that this scam/crime against humanity is exposed Thailand doesn't want them anymore. Yeah right, human trafficking rings with the cooperation of the THAI authorities cannot make money and exploit them anymore. Thailand is as much responsible as the people in Myanmar who put them onto the boats. Concentration-like camps in the jungles and mass graves are being dug up as we speak. Its an atrocity and the Thais and Malays are 100% responsible.

Edited by SoilSpoil

Answer me this, why the hell would any USA tax payer with more than half a brain give a rats ass about Muslim refugees when their fellow religious adherents are very happy to behead US A captives, not to mention the fact that Thai Muslims are very busy murdering and bombing Thai people on a daily basis in the South, where does political correctness become a joke. These refugees at sea could be tommorow said murderous problems simply because of their perverted religious views.

Am I biased ? Yes I am In my humble opinion you have to be brain dead to accept any of the main stream religions, however the zealots who claim to follow Muhhamed are the worst of the worst".

Will the censors pass this post ? I doubt it but the truth now is becoming harder and harder to print.

How pathetic when some of our TV member brings religion and politics on such posting . These people on the sea are floating without food and water and will die probably out of hunger or sickness. All of them sailed in search of better life. If we can not help these people lets not at least be mean to them by writing harsh and stupid comments. May god save them

While I understand the principal behind your thoughts, until Muslims can be trusted I would refuse entry.

In the South over 6000 men women and children have been murdered by these animals, including a 9 year old boy beheaded a few weeks ago.

Half the Islamic world seem to want to move into non Islamic countries, then they make trouble for the rest of us.

Until Muslims can be trusted???No way ever They are on the move to take over and rule the world,,It is not if but just When

Muslim World: how Muslims will take over the world via population growth and immigration

from.....

Confiscate, the boats sitting offshore! simple, however these boats have Klingon technology allowing them to go into cloaking mode and avoid being seen by any satellite ever launched -- clever sods!

Maybe one of Thaksins satellites could foil the plot and show up NASA and he could then get the Nobel peace award restoring his family back into favor.

I am Australian & we have seen these so called boat people arriving for decades. The cost to the Australian people is astronomical. The current government doesn't turn them away but houses them offshore until there refuge status can be proved. All at cost to public. Many of these people pay to be transported via boat to countries looking to start in a affluent place. We have seen so called refugees wearing designer clothes & jewelery saying they are poor & have been persecuted in there own country. You may not like my opinion but the boats need to be stopped or sent back to where they come from. They can apply for entry visa's just like we do to enter another country. Do it legally.