Medical insurance for retirees in Chiang Mai....any help?

mikey88

It's not the same company. HCC is listed on the NYSE as "HCC." Different rates, too. IMG offers up to two years, which is two years longer than many have...I don't know about renewals. I stand to gain nothing by anyone enrolling in anything....I just hate to see the blind leading the blind. It seems like a lot of folks turn 70 and think there should be 100% free medical, wherever they may be...it's not going to happen.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 91 posts and we still don't have answer to the OP question which is same as mine. Good health insurance coverage for expats not travelers. I contacted a recommended broker in PATTS but after 4 tries EI gave up. Sent message to AA will see what comes of it. My ppo in America will cover us but pay first and be reimbursed. Problem is after retirement it will cost 800USD a month. Still trying to find best route to take.

Thailander wrote:

" It seems like a lot of folks turn 70 and think there should be 100% free medical, wherever they may be...it's not going to happen. "

Those folks are not among the members who have put up 90 posts asking about purchasing insurance.

I spoke with a rep from HCC earlier...toll free 1-866-400-7106. I told him my situation. He said it's 364 days at a time and you would be more than welcome to do it twenty consecutive 364s, if you want to. They also cover people well over 70.....

So 91 posts and we still don't have answer to the OP question which is same as mine. Good health insurance coverage for expats not travelers. I contacted a recommended broker in PATTS but after 4 tries EI gave up. Sent message to AA will see what comes of it. My ppo in America will cover us but pay first and be reimbursed. Problem is after retirement it will cost 800USD a month. Still trying to find best route to take.

Hi Dave, get in touch with me re the Group health scheme that i am on. So long as you are under 68 yrs, healthy,residing in Thailand, I am sure that something can be done. Premiums start from $1123 pp,p.a for US1 Mill cover . Steve

1-866-400-7106.....will someone care to call and verify what I stated; that they don't care if you are living here for 20 years...you can chain together as many 364 day policies, as you like.

HCC:

Standard and Poor's: AA

Fitch Ratings: AA

A.M. Best: A+

or just take the word of a disgruntled old geezer.....you wouldn't be the first.

Edited by bangmai

1-866-400-7106.....will someone care to call and verify what I stated; that they don't care if you are living here for 20 years...you can chain together as many 364 day policies, as you like.

HCC:

Standard and Poor's: AA

Fitch Ratings: AA

A.M. Best: A+

or just take the word of a disgruntled old geezer.....you wouldn't be the first.

No one is interested in your travel insurance. As for the "disgruntled old geezer", I'll guess that was a shot at me. Just a guess, but I'll bet that I am 15-20 years younger than you and more than 1/2 of the TV C.M. membership.

If you put in a substantial claim to that company, you will be investigated and most likely your claim will be denied when and if they find you live in Thailand and are not a tourist which you are leading them on to believe. It's travel insurance, not health insurance from a company licensed in Thailand which is what people need. They don't want or need a foreign company. They want a Thai company.

Bangmai, maybe these are old geezers, but there sure are a lot of them.

Apparently HCC Atlas is great - unless you file a claim.

http://hccmis.pissedconsumer.com/stay-away-from-hccmis-and-atlas-travel-insurance-20120228300777.html

Just look at the long list of people whose claims were denied for numerous reasons!

I filed an unsuccessful claim with them (they have many subsidiaries). Atlas is one name that seems to appear on most of the correspondence from them, but it also includes mnui, Lloyd's, etc. They apparently investigated me and determined that I was no longer a resident in the U.S. and after 2 years should have been insured by a company in Europe. I was spending my time between 2 European countries at the time.

I also got this from them:

Notice to Residents of California
  1. The insurance policy that you have purchased is being issued by an insurer that is not licensed by the State of California. These companies are called "nonadmitted" or "surplus line" insurers.
  2. The insurer is not subject to the financial solvency regulation and enforcement which applies to California licensed insurers.
  3. The insurer does not participate in any of the insurance guarantee funds created by California law. Therefore, these funds will not pay your claims or protect your assets if the insurer becomes insolvent and is unable to make payments as promised.
  4. California maintains a list of eligible surplus line insurers approved by the insurance commissioner. Ask your agent or broker if the insurer is on that list.
  5. For additional information about the insurer you should ask questions of your insurance agent, broker, or "surplus line" broker or contact the California Department of Insurance, at the following toll-free telephone number: 1-800-927-4357.

on the same site; CIGNA has 246 complaints. 13 for HCC. Look at their ratings....and like I stated...you can stay here for years and use their insurance. And also, as stated earlier, HCC IS NOT IMG. You can avoid reimbursement issues if you go to a hospital that they pay directly. No one will call.....

http://hccmis.pissedconsumer.com/stay-away-from-hccmis-and-atlas-travel-insurance-20120228300777.html

Just look at the long list of people whose claims were denied for numerous reasons!

I filed an unsuccessful claim with them (they have many subsidiaries). Atlas is one name that seems to appear on most of the correspondence from them, but it also includes mnui, Lloyd's, etc. They apparently investigated me and determined that I was no longer a resident in the U.S. and after 2 years should have been insured by a company in Europe. I was spending my time between 2 European countries at the time.

I also got this from them:

Notice to Residents of California
  1. The insurance policy that you have purchased is being issued by an insurer that is not licensed by the State of California. These companies are called "nonadmitted" or "surplus line" insurers.
  2. The insurer is not subject to the financial solvency regulation and enforcement which applies to California licensed insurers.
  3. The insurer does not participate in any of the insurance guarantee funds created by California law. Therefore, these funds will not pay your claims or protect your assets if the insurer becomes insolvent and is unable to make payments as promised.
  4. California maintains a list of eligible surplus line insurers approved by the insurance commissioner. Ask your agent or broker if the insurer is on that list.
  5. For additional information about the insurer you should ask questions of your insurance agent, broker, or "surplus line" broker or contact the California Department of Insurance, at the following toll-free telephone number: 1-800-927-4357.

The policy I referenced is SPECIFICALLY FOR PERSONS RESIDING OUTSIDE OF THE US. What part of that do you not understand? It appears that you are not a US Citizen...in which case residency is where you reside, not automatically US residency like I have....but you refuse to read the pdfs that I posted. HCC sells policies to Californians every day of the week....

Edited by bangmai

one of your more informative posts Amex, that gives even more credibility to HCC, which does have 14 reviews...not bad for 2 billion usd in annual sales.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield has 15,777! United Healthcare 426,215.

Some nice remarks on Allianz. also: http://allianz-travel-insurance.pissedconsumer.com/allianz-avoid-at-all-costs-disgrace-to-the-human-race-20150326613517.html

Edited by bangmai

How are they licensed to sell in 47 States if they are a scam? California has stringent consumer protection laws. I sicked a lawyer on State Farm, and the 2000 usd they didn't want to pay, became 7500...out of court. There is going to be unhappy customers and people whose claims will be denied, and their will be people making false claims, too. Do you really think they should pay for skin cancer treatment, two months after you take out a policy? But, the one thing I will stand by is that you can string together the 364 day policies for years....subject to new terms and premiums, when you renew (like it has always been), and there is no grey area. I will even encourage Nancy to give them a call, and verify what I stated. Call them 10 different times and speak to 10 different people...You want it in writing....get it...email would be binding. Here is a contact's [email protected].

I've been pretty happy with ASC out of France. Health insurance for a 60-year old is about 1,700 USD per year. They cover 7 weeks of travel to the US. They have paid several claims I have made, no questions asked. They respond promptly to customers. They are easy to contact by phone. Bought the policy through AA......http://www.aainsure.net/

I've been pretty happy with ASC out of France. Health insurance for a 60-year old is about 1,700 USD per year. They cover 7 weeks of travel to the US. They have paid several claims I have made, no questions asked. They respond promptly to customers. They are easy to contact by phone. Bought the policy through AA......http://www.aainsure.net/

I've been doing business with Peter (AA - sponsor) for about 8 years now and can highly recommend him. He will find you a good policy.

great..can you post their ratings? a toll free number? the deductible? a list of hospitals they pay direct? I did all those with HCC.

Just in the news...HCC is being purchased bt Tokio Marine for 7.5 billion USD. I did look at the French company (but no one can give their ratings), it appears that they do not offer direct payment to any hospital in SE Asia...so at best case you will be waiting for reimbursement. Kind of pricey, too. Too, bad no one contacted HCC to verify what I stated......gave a toll free number, gave an Email address, and gave their ratings from SP, Fitch, and AM Best.....HCC is up from 56 to 76 per share...today.

Don't buy Thai insurance, it's expensive with low caps. I buy an international policy for major medical only with $1,000 USD deductable. My regular check ups I pay out of pocket but have the insurance for heart attack, getting hit by a car etc... Also covers me while I travel abroad. My policy is from England my insurance broker in Hong Kong. Shoot around you will find something.

International policies would be nice, but once your in the 60+ range, there is a good chance that they won't even offer you insurance. Maybe your parents had certain medical problems, and you yourself are diligence and have had check-up since you've been 50 to check for exactly the problems your parents had, all your tests come back fine, but you have to disclose all this to the insurance company, and the next thing you know is you are now 'Un-insurable'. Admit to having a benign skin lesion remove because you have annual skin check-up, you have colonoscopies and endoscopy after 50 on the schedule given to you by your doctor, you have annual physicals, and your in you mid-60s and in good health because you didn't live the lifestyle of your parents or grandparents or your aunts and uncles - but, surprise! We won't insure you. You're too high of a risk.

Personally my advice to anyone in the 20's or 30's would be to make up a family history and lie through your teeth to the insurance companies, stick to the same family history story with every doctor you see, don't say anything to a doctor that you don't want on your health history, and then maybe when you get to be in your 60s, you'll be able to purchase health insurance. Just saying!

Edited by CALSinCM

Don't buy Thai insurance, it's expensive with low caps. I buy an international policy for major medical only with $1,000 USD deductable. My regular check ups I pay out of pocket but have the insurance for heart attack, getting hit by a car etc... Also covers me while I travel abroad. My policy is from England my insurance broker in Hong Kong. Shoot around you will find something.

International policies would be nice, but once your in the 60+ range, there is a good chance that they won't even offer you insurance. Maybe your parents had certain medical problems, and you yourself are diligence and have had check-up since you've been 50 to check for exactly the problems your parents had, all your tests come back fine, but you have to disclose all this to the insurance company, and the next thing you know is you are now 'Un-insurable'. Admit to having a benign skin lesion remove because you have annual skin check-up, you have colonoscopies and endoscopy after 50 on the schedule given to you by your doctor, you have annual physicals, and your in you mid-60s and in good health because you didn't live the lifestyle of your parents or grandparents or your aunts and uncles - but, surprise! We won't insure you. You're too high of a risk.

Personally my advice to anyone in the 20's or 30's would be to make up a family history and lie through your teeth to the insurance companies, stick to the same family history story with every doctor you see, don't say anything to a doctor that you don't want on your health history, and then maybe when you get to be in your 60s, you'll be able to purchase health insurance. Just saying!

Intentionally lying to an insurance company is insurance fraud and is a crime in many countries of the world. It is in Thailand as well.

Really BAD advice!