Chainsaw maintenance video tutorial

I make three episodes video tutorial on chainsaw basic maintenance.

This is first episode, disassemble and cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ACDDp5sGU

This is second episode, assembly and chains right tightness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02a8dW1ShhY

This is third and final episode, sharpening, test run and how to make right 2-strike fuel mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtp3PqFcl0

I watched only the last part of the third video and your concept of how to maintain that chain is totally incorrect.

1. I'd never put that bar in a vise that way for fear of pinching the groove that the chain runs in. If I used a vise I'd need to get a bit more toward the center and away from that grooved edge. I'd also be afraid that the vise would spring the bar.

2. You can't just rapidly push and pull with a file like that. The file cuts in only one direction and your approach is not only damaging the teeth on the file but you are rocking the file and rounding over the cutting edge. Sharpening is just a touch up, so slow down, push the file evenly without rocking, and stop when that tooth is sharp. Chains wear out from cutting and sharpening and you are shortening the life of the chain with excess filing not to mention that you aren't getting the chain sharp or properly angled.

3. That jig you are using to hold the file is for rank amateurs and is more for looks than substance. Get a file in your hand, even it up with the angle of the tooth and also hold it level and simply push the file. Do that at most a half dozen times and the tooth will be sharp and correct.

There's more, but with all due respect you are teaching people how to ruin both a chain and the file they are using. Filing a chain isn't done energetically. It's done methodically.

Cheers

After reading your comment, I had to watch the sharpening. I only watched half of just the sharpening. This is hilarious! Like a Mr. Bean with a chainsaw. It must be made for humour.

After reading your comment, I had to watch the sharpening. I only watched half of just the sharpening. This is hilarious! Like a Mr. Bean with a chainsaw. It must be made for humour.

Yes it is... and now I am little bit in shame because since I put this video in Youtube I have got angry messages and peoples say "what You are doing, You do it completely wrong way"... this was meaning to be just little joke but everyone seems to be taken it very seriously... sad.png

Sorry... but íf You like it maybe it still make to trick...wink.png

I watched only the last part of the third video and your concept of how to maintain that chain is totally incorrect.

1. I'd never put that bar in a vise that way for fear of pinching the groove that the chain runs in. If I used a vise I'd need to get a bit more toward the center and away from that grooved edge. I'd also be afraid that the vise would spring the bar.

2. You can't just rapidly push and pull with a file like that. The file cuts in only one direction and your approach is not only damaging the teeth on the file but you are rocking the file and rounding over the cutting edge. Sharpening is just a touch up, so slow down, push the file evenly without rocking, and stop when that tooth is sharp. Chains wear out from cutting and sharpening and you are shortening the life of the chain with excess filing not to mention that you aren't getting the chain sharp or properly angled.

3. That jig you are using to hold the file is for rank amateurs and is more for looks than substance. Get a file in your hand, even it up with the angle of the tooth and also hold it level and simply push the file. Do that at most a half dozen times and the tooth will be sharp and correct.

There's more, but with all due respect you are teaching people how to ruin both a chain and the file they are using. Filing a chain isn't done energetically. It's done methodically.

Cheers

Yes, You are absolutely correct for this, I can sign You list in any time...

In first place this was meaning to be little joke but I see that everybody have take this seriously... sad.png