90 day check-in mystery.

I renewed my Retirement Visa in April at Chiang Mai immigration and today I did my first 90 day check-in at Chiang Mai.

I was told that the rules have changed and that I can only do future 90 day check-ins in Chiang Mai.

I asked for guidance on what to do if I am not in Chiang Mai when the next 90 day check-in is due?

I was given the same answer.

I did a 90 day check-in while on holiday in Phuket in Feb this year. Gave my accomodation papers as requested. No problem.

So today I am wondering what has changed?

From what I was told it seems that if I travel around Thailand I have to return every 90 days to Chiang Mai just to check-in.

So my planned trip to Ubon Ratchatani will have to be cancelled because it was going to be well over the next 90 day check-in time!!!.

This doesn't make sense to me and I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Surely a Thai Visa is for Thailand, wherever it is issued.

Does anyone out there know?

You do not have a "retirement visa" because such a "visa" does not exist!

You may have an "extension of stay", based on retirement, which is easily identified in the passport.

90 day in person reports must be done at your local immigration office. There is the option of doing the report by post (available at most immigration offices) or there is also the option of making a 90 day report "on line"

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

The new rules were issued in late December. But not all offices were enforcing it for a while. You can only make 90 day reports at the office where you got your extension unless you formally change your address.

You can do your report by mail or online. Info for reporting in Chiang Mai is here. 90 Day Report - Procedures

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Super.

I would naturally use the 90 day on-line facility but I was told in Phuket that it is not active yet.

Is it NOW?

Are you saying Chiang Mai immigration is correct and Phuket were wrong to process my 90 day check-in in Feb?

By the way it says RETIREMENT (not extension of stay) in big bold red at the top of all my visas and immigration officers always refer to my Visa as a Retirement Visa.

So thanks for putting me straight but I won't tell them they are wrong!!!

Regards

James

• Like 1

The 90 day online reporting is working for many people and there have been successful reports done in Chiang Mai.

Yes Phuket was wrong to of done your report but ti seems many offices were not enforcing the new rule then.

Retirement is what you extension is based upon. Below that stamp you will find one that says extension on it (not visa).

• Like 1

]If you look very carefully the big bold " RETIRMENT" stamp is placed at top of a stamp which reads "extension of stay permitted up to ..........................ect "

No mention of visa but if you really do have a "retirement VISA" please scan and post this very special and unique stamp/sticker smile.png

Surprising how many are not aware of what is actually in their passports or have an understanding of the legal basis on which they are allowed to stay i the Kingdom.

post-231238-0-68688200-1431926874_thumb.

Here are a couple of extensions obtained on the basis of retirement

Would someone please point me to where the word "visa" or "retirement visa" appears

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

Thanks Joe.

Maybe Phuket were just trying to be helpful.

So, in future, if I am not in Chiang Mai at the 90 day time I have no choice. It's either POST or ON_LINE.

Do you have the online weblink please?

Don't worry, I am fully aware of my status in Thailand. However, it is interesting to note that the visa extensions in my passport do not say 'extension'. They say 'application of stay is permitted...'

Regards

James

Hi nzexpat

Thanks for showing me your Phuket stamps. Chiang Mai stamps are different in that they use the word 'application' and not 'extension'.

Here is an exact copy of the document produced by The Royal Thai Embassy in South Africa.
Different Types Of Visas
Transit Visa: “TS” - For persons transiting through Thailand on their way to another destination.
“S” - For persons participating in sport
Tourist Visa: “TR” - For persons who are going to Thailand for the following reasons: holiday or shopping, meeting up with friends
Non-immigrant “B” Visa : To conduct business or work in Thailand
Non-immigrant “ED” Visa : To study, take a study tour, attend a conference or training course in Thailand
Non-immigrant “O” Visa : 1) For persons accompanying a spouse/parent who will be stationed in Thailand
2) For persons married to a Thai spouse or the child of a Thai person
Non-immigrant “O-A” Visa : Retirement Visa

Diplomatic/Official Visa: For diplomatic, service, official or UN passport holders (must accompanied by Note Verbale)

Hope this helps.

Regards

James

Hi nzexpat

Thanks for showing me your Phuket stamps. Chiang Mai stamps are different in that they use the word 'application' and not 'extension'.

Here is an exact copy of the document produced by The Royal Thai Embassy in South Africa.
Different Types Of Visas
Transit Visa: “TS” - For persons transiting through Thailand on their way to another destination.
“S” - For persons participating in sport
Tourist Visa: “TR” - For persons who are going to Thailand for the following reasons: holiday or shopping, meeting up with friends
Non-immigrant “B” Visa : To conduct business or work in Thailand
Non-immigrant “ED” Visa : To study, take a study tour, attend a conference or training course in Thailand
Non-immigrant “O” Visa : 1) For persons accompanying a spouse/parent who will be stationed in Thailand
2) For persons married to a Thai spouse or the child of a Thai person
Non-immigrant “O-A” Visa : Retirement Visa

Diplomatic/Official Visa: For diplomatic, service, official or UN passport holders (must accompanied by Note Verbale)

Hope this helps.

Regards

James

Clearly the South Africans have a problem with English and or comprehension ! smile.png

The O/A visa is actually a Long Stay Visa available to those over 50. It can only be applied for in ones own country of residence,

Full detail of this LONG STAY VISA can be found on the Thai MFA site

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

I am sure this will help !

Edited by nzexpat

Hi Joe.

I checked that link before writing but can't find anything about on-line 90 days on that link. Just this which is postal.

If you are referring to the link to my pinned topic, at the top in BOLD letters it shows to see post #3 for online reporting. see post #3 for details

At the bottom of the post #3 it also shows a link to the current discussion topic for online reporting in CM.

• Like 1

Why do so many people get so worked up about the words ' retirement visa' ? 'Extension to stay' is of course the correct expression but (almost) everyone I know refers to their 'retirement visa' . Why can't the picky posters on TV just get on with answering other posters questions rather than pointing the wrong use of words - which are in very common usage?

Because, as has been pointed out, there are different answers depending on if the question relates to a Visa (almost always issued outside Thailand [except in one specific instance]) or to an an Extension of stay, only ever issued in Thailand.

This means that if people want an accurate, correct answer it helps to use the correct term. Just because something is common usage doesn't make it right. While someone asking a question may know if they have a visa or extension of stay it is clear that many have no idea.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

You may have an "extension of stay", based on retirement, which is easily identified in the passport.

90 day in person reports must be done at your local immigration office. There is the option of doing the report by post (available at most immigration offices) or there is also the option of making a 90 day report "on line"

You're right about the Extension of Stay but why be so pedantic about it? It is a Retirement Visa whichever way you look at it. It's much easier to refer to any visa relative to what you wish to apply for. Anyway I give you 2 1/2 Brownie points for being correct, now please go to the top of the class, but don't take your books.

• Like 1

This could be related to my question, so I'll post it here rather than a new thread.

Last year, I was here on a 1 year, multi entry non Imm O (marriage) visa. At the start of my stay here, I reported to the Immigration office and "registered" my address. The Imm officer told me explicitly, having lodged my address, that I would no longer have to visit the office to report, and all I had to do was my 90 day in-out at the border. I did that for a year, no problems.

I have just renewed my 1 year non Imm O visa overseas, and upon my return a few weeks ago, went and "registered" my address again.

A new Imm officer this time.....he says, in no uncertain terms, that I have to do my in-out at the border, AND report to the Imm office (in other words him) every 90 days.

Would this be right. I got the impression he was just being power-hungry.

If he is not right....and I just do the border run every 90 days and ignore him....can there be recourse?

If he is right, is the online option available for me?

This could be related to my question, so I'll post it here rather than a new thread.

Last year, I was here on a 1 year, multi entry non Imm O (marriage) visa. At the start of my stay here, I reported to the Immigration office and "registered" my address. The Imm officer told me explicitly, having lodged my address, that I would no longer have to visit the office to report, and all I had to do was my 90 day in-out at the border. I did that for a year, no problems.

I have just renewed my 1 year non Imm O visa overseas, and upon my return a few weeks ago, went and "registered" my address again.

A new Imm officer this time.....he says, in no uncertain terms, that I have to do my in-out at the border, AND report to the Imm office (in other words him) every 90 days.

Would this be right. I got the impression he was just being power-hungry.

If he is not right....and I just do the border run every 90 days and ignore him....can there be recourse?

If he is right, is the online option available for me?

Perhaps a communication problem. You do not have to do a 90 day report unless you are in the country for 90+ days. You step out of the country, either via activating your other multi-entry visas or even with a re-entry permit, the 90 day report requirement gets reset.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe.

Maybe Phuket were just trying to be helpful.

So, in future, if I am not in Chiang Mai at the 90 day time I have no choice. It's either POST or ON_LINE.

Do you have the online weblink please?

Don't worry, I am fully aware of my status in Thailand. However, it is interesting to note that the visa extensions in my passport do not say 'extension'. They say 'application of stay is permitted...'

Regards

James

The following gives the full information:

1. You can find the link for online 90 day reporting by going to the Immigration website and select the ‘Notification of Staying over 90 days’, from the left hand column. At the very bottom of that information page (scroll down) is a link, highlighted in blue, ‘notification of staying in the kingdom over 90 days via internet’.

Alternatively you can just go straight to the website by the direct URL link, which is

http://extranet.immigration.go.th/pibics/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

a ) They specify using IE browser only, at the moment, but it will work on other browsers by copying and pasting the link or,

b ) Use a User Agent for Chrome or Firefox and it will emulate IE. For FF IE Tab V2 for Chrome either User-Agent Switcher for Chrome or User Agent Switcher.

SafariHYPERLINK "http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-activate-user-agent-switcher-in-safari.html" has the ability built in.

You're right about the Extension of Stay but why be so pedantic about it? It is a Retirement Visa whichever way you look at it. It's much easier to refer to any visa relative to what you wish to apply for. Anyway I give you 2 1/2 Brownie points for being correct, now please go to the top of the class, but don't take your books.

Unfortunately, you are not correct but your post is a very good example of why people should learn the correct terminology.

The dynamics of a "visa" are wholly different to an "extension" (the visa is not extended, the permission to stay is).

A visa (generally) allows you to stay for 90 days and you can re-enter at any time during the validity of that visa. An extension allows you to remain for 12 months, subject to 90 day reporting, and you will lose that permission if you re-enter without a re-entry permit.

It is not pedantry (although nzexpat was playing a bit smile.png ) but the correct terminology ensures that people are talking about the same thing - Faz's post being a perfect example.

• Like 1