Prayut urged to ban private hospital collecting charges on emergency patients

webfact

Simply a mechanism to get better quality care without paying for it.

I have no problem paying reasonable fees but when 7 years ago I needed a hernia op I was quoted 50,000Bt at Pattaya Memorial Hospital but on the advice of friends went to Sattahip and had they same op 4 days later for 7,800Bt that was a 42,200Bt saving. How can Pattaya Memorial justify such a high charge

Okay here is how the managers from Pattaya memorial Hospital justify it ::

Farang-Tourist-Pattaya = means try squeeze as much money out of this person as possible so then u get your 50,000 bht. (Its a standard procedure by most hopitals especially in tourists spots!

That is not a justification that is just what they do.

JUSTIFICATION:

1. the action of showing something to be right or reasonable.
    • good reason for something that exists or has been done.
      "there is no justification for an increase in charges"
  2. the action of declaring or making righteous in the sight of God.

Another good idea of the PM. Now he needs to look into some silly laws like restricting the big supermarket chains from selling beer and wine at any time.

If you read the OP you will see that it's not a 'good idea' from the General at all. He has merely been URGED by the Thai Medical Error Board to consider making changes. Whether he decides to do anything at all is a matter of conjecture. However his apparant inability to even sort out the Lottery makes me somewhat sceptical as to whether he is capable of resolving this issue.

Finally something done with the greedy mafia hospitals. They charge a massive amount of money and pay peanuts to the nurses and nurse assistants.

for example. a simple bill for 1 night stay for 1 patient is the whole month salary for registered nurse. and most of the time nurses are treated like shit by the patients...

So now you want the government to regulate not only the profits of private companies but also the salaries of all their employees?

That idea worked out so well in other communist countries in the past.

Nurses are paid more in private hospitals than in public hospitals. The work is also more demanding in public hospitals plus patients treat them worse. So maybe start there?

"The work is also more demanding in public hospitals plus patients treat them worse"

Can you back that up with some facts?

Regarding how staff is being treated in government hospitals vs private hospitals i base my statement on 11 years of first hand experience of my wife (studied, worked, and specialized in a government hospital and now works in a private hospital) and about 100+ of her close friends who all studied together to become doctors.

As you might assume she has a pretty decent idea what goes on within a hospital in Thailand and how nurses, doctors, and other staff are treated.

Hope that is sufficient for you, even though it is only an opinion.

Medics took an oath in the past,didn't they?

Every patient was to be treated.

A private Hospital refusing emergency treatment (72 hours)should be closed.

And if they do a standard compensation paid when patient is not capable of paying the Private pricing.

Back to the old days, i suggest....patient first!

It was translated as "the oath of hypocrisy" in Thai...

Finally something done with the greedy mafia hospitals. They charge a massive amount of money and pay peanuts to the nurses and nurse assistants.

for example. a simple bill for 1 night stay for 1 patient is the whole month salary for registered nurse. and most of the time nurses are treated like shit by the patients...

So now you want the government to regulate not only the profits of private companies but also the salaries of all their employees?

Nurses are paid more in private hospitals than in public hospitals. The work is also more demanding in public hospitals plus patients treat them worse. So maybe start there?

"The work is also more demanding in public hospitals plus patients treat them worse"

Regarding how staff is being treated in government hospitals vs private hospitals i base my statement on 11 years of first hand experience of my wife (studied, worked, and specialized in a government hospital and now works in a private hospital) and about 100+ of her close friends who all studied together to become doctors.

As you might assume she has a pretty decent idea what goes on within a hospital in Thailand and how nurses, doctors, and other staff are treated.

100+ "close" friends?

picture, an old long beared moslim pushed by a black man

mhhhh, maybe they should go to a governement hospital then, no ?

if at least, they would make laws for all the people living here

but then they will say: no farang living here, only tourists, expat = not citizen, only a long stay tourist, as long as he got the money, that is

Emergency patients will be the ideal victims for scams. It's more or less "pay or die" when urgently needing hospital care.

That Thai Medical Error Network sounds like a good institution. One doesn't encounter too mazny of those in the Land of Smiles...

The current system has a hole in it. Private hospitals are expected to act as "emergency centers" when life is threatened by trauma that would kill the patient during transport or when the public hospitals are full. The health care scheme is something that kept the public hospitals from this extortion (which was their love child while it lasted).

100+ "close" friends?

How does this relate to the subject?

Since the government is so worried that the ripoffs will continue and hurt Thailand's good name. Why don't they set the standard prices for the medical procedures themselves?Then they can monitor complaints from patients from the hospitals that do not follow the government's basic guidelines on pricing.