Redshirt leader: No gathering to mark 5th Anniversary of Crackdown

webfact

Redshirt Leader: No Gathering to Mark 5th Anniversary of Crackdown

By Khaosod English

14319281261431928251l.jpg
Redshirts rally at Ratchaprasong Intersection in Bangkok to commemorate the first anniversary of the 19 May crackdown, 19 May 2011.

BANGKOK — Redshirts will not gather publicly to mark the fifth anniversary of the military assault on Redshirt protesters tomorrow, in compliance with the junta's ban on political activities, according to a top leader of the movement.

Thida Thawornseth, deputy chairperson of the Redshirts' official umbrella organization, the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), said a large gathering like in previous years could draw "trouble" from the junta, which outlawed public gatherings after seizing power from a Redshirt-backed government one year ago.

Soldiers in Bangkok attempt to contain the Redshirt protests on 14 May 2010.

"Relatives of the deceased will hold separate religious ceremonies in different places on their own," Thida told Khaosod yesterday. "Redshirts will also hold religious ceremonies in small groups."

On 19 May 2010, the military mounted a violent assault on thousands of Redshirt demonstrators who had been occupying Bangkok's financial district for a month and a half. The crackdown followed weeks of skirmishes between the protesters and security forces, transforming parts of Bangkok into a war zone. More than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the unrest.

In the past, tens of thousands of Redshirts have assembled in Bangkok to mark two key events of the crackdown - the military assaults of 10 April and 19 May. Yet the ruling junta’s tight lid on political activities has forced Redshirts to scrap both plans this year.

Last month, the junta blocked Redshirts' attempt to organize a religious ceremony commemorating the bloody confrontation of 10 April 2010. After the public event was canceled, soldiers went further and asked relatives of victims who died in the crackdown to conduct private ceremonies at their homes, instead of attend a Buddhist ceremony at the same temple.

Speaking to Khaosod yesterday, Thida said she hoped the junta would allow Redshirts and relatives of the victims to commemorate the anniversary in peace tomorrow.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1431928126

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-18

Speaking to Khaosod yesterday, Thida said she hoped the junta would allow Redshirts and relatives of the victims to commemorate the anniversary in peace tomorrow.

I believe she has this backwards.

^^what a moronic comment.

If you are on one side of politics in Thailand, you have complete and total freedom to march, protest and express your views - even if that is hatred toward other people.

If you are on the other side of politics in Thailand, ... different story...

If you are on one side of politics in Thailand, you have complete and total freedom to march, protest and express your views - even if that is hatred toward other people.

And was that any different in the past?

Just depends whose in power. Protest against PTP and get bombed and shot at, warned off by Chalerm who warns he can't protect you; but then vows to protect those who want to rally to support the government. Maybe he was too stupid, drunk or arrogant to realize people might notice the difference in his two statements.

But, he was only following the boss's orders.

Thanks tb, you have just confirmed that every single comment you have ever posted on TVF is a "moronic comment".

(not that I needed confirmation)

You have always taken the opposite view to anyone who dared to oppose you regarding political parties, terrorist organizations and military juntas.

Never once have you made an admission that your side may have been wrong about anything, not one concession, ever.

............................"even if that is hatred toward other people"...............................

Does that include killing men, women and children in the streets ? You know, the ones who are on the other side of politics ................thumbsup.gif

Thanks tb, you have just confirmed that every single comment you have ever posted on TVF is a "moronic comment".

You have always taken the opposite view to anyone who dared to oppose you regarding political parties, terrorist organizations and military juntas.

Never once have you made an admission that your side may have been wrong about anything, not one concession, ever.

............................"even if that is hatred toward other people"...............................

Does that include killing men, women and children in the streets ? You know, the ones who are on the other side of politics ................thumbsup.gif

Nobody is perfect, but your side always goes for equivalence, excusing the bad actions of your side by saying "the redshirts do it too". Wrong is wrong, evil is evil. Gunning down unarmed civilians is wrong. And extra-judicial killings in the drug war were also wrong, but one doesn't excuse the other.

Thai people are autonomous beings, not Thaksin robots. Regardless of your wishes, many Thais yearn for self-government and equal rights--rights you enjoy your but would deny to them

Just depends whose in power. Protest against PTP and get bombed and shot at, warned off by Chalerm who warns he can't protect you; but then vows to protect those who want to rally to support the government. Maybe he was too stupid, drunk or arrogant to realize people might notice the difference in his two statements.

you would equate ANY civilian government with the current regime?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

come on ... give me a break....

if you don't feel that labelling an entire group of people as "trash" is not a moronic statement, then you have the right to feel that way -- and it is probably a guaranteed right in the country of your passport. whistling.gif

As for violence, killing or even labelling any group pejoratively, have you not seen enough of my posts to know that:

1. I don't condone violence
  2. I support free democratic rule
  3. I don't post demeaning comments about groups of people - even the groups like the anti-democrats with whom I don't agree.

coffee1.gif

if you don't feel that labelling an entire group of people as "trash" is not a moronic statement, then you have the right to feel that way -- and it is probably a guaranteed right in the country of your passport. whistling.gif

As for violence, killing or even labelling any group pejoratively, have you not seen enough of my posts to know that:

3. I don't post demeaning comments about groups of people - even the groups like the anti-democrats with whom I don't agree.

coffee1.gif

But you will consistently fail to condemn, and actually support, the most violent political group in Thailand, and falsely suggest that the other side use the same military explosive weapons?

you would equate ANY civilian government with the current regime?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

come on ... give me a break....

Not just any civilian government would hand over control of their country to a non elected criminal fugitive wanted on 15 serious other charges, now would they?

You don't seriously equate the PTP paid, owned and ruled by a criminal regime to a real government do you?

Your're so funny clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Nobody is perfect, but your side always goes for equivalence, excusing the bad actions of your side by saying "the redshirts do it too". Wrong is wrong, evil is evil. Gunning down unarmed civilians is wrong. And extra-judicial killings in the drug war were also wrong, but one doesn't excuse the other.

Thai people are autonomous beings, not Thaksin robots. Regardless of your wishes, many Thais yearn for self-government and equal rights--rights you enjoy your but would deny to them

If you go back to when PTP first took office, you'll note that "But, but, but, the dems did it, Abhisit did it, Suthep did it, they all do it" were stock excuses trotted out by the then cadre of Shin apologists. Ironic isn't it.

Strangely enough, most have left this site. Any thoughts on why that might be?

I don't think being fully aware of the sham Shin governments and their tricks makes anyone automatically "the opposite side". Most would love to see a democratically elected real government deliver equal rights, justice for all and a fairer society; but know very well that a Thaksin controlled government will never do that or have the remotest interest in doing so.

coffee1.gif

But you will consistently fail to condemn, and actually support, the most violent political group in Thailand, and falsely suggest that the other side use the same military explosive weapons?

ah, you're back again...

you are wrong, as usual. I always condemn violence whether it is from the UDD, from the PDRC, or from the Army.

As for 'falsely' accusing the other side for using the same violent weapons, I guess you just can't read.

Not my problem...

thumbsup.gif

No, please gather - and make complete idiots of yourselves!!! The shirt thing is as dead as dead can be (and same goes for democracy) since "Superman" has entered the stage; and don't expect him to leave voluntarily within the coming ten years or so...

Edited by MockingJay

"Yet the ruling junta’s tight lid on political activities has forced Redshirts to scrap both plans this year."

You can't spoon-feed democracy. It's either there in one big gulp or it's not on the table.

If the Thai people care so little of their sovereignty, - their inalienable rights and liberties - they should accept whatever scraps of government the aristocrats are willing to offer and skip the rhetoric on building a democratic society. Everyone should learn to be good democratic soldiers and march to the drums of the generals.

Redshirt Leader: No Gathering to Mark 5th Anniversary of Crackdown

No need to make that announcement as it goes without saying that any gathering that emphasizes divisions in the country is, for the moment, not allowed by the NCPO. I guess making announcements makes them feel as if they are still leading something. Whatever.

coffee1.gif

Don't bother trying to change the subject by picking on a comment made by another poster, that is nothing to do with me.

I was commenting on your attitude in general, not what a third party said.

1. I don't condone violence - Crap, you support the redshirts

2. I support free democratic rule - So what ? Do you want a medal ? Most of the posters you attack on this forum do as well but they don't crap on about it.

bs, you do it all the time, and from now on I am going to remind you every time you post a demeaning comment about any group, including the group that dares to oppose you on this forum.

When I speak to my Thai friends they are always talking about the future, and their hopes for the eventual emergence of new political parties, new leaders with intelligent perspectives on how best to make Thailand more successful and prosperous for all Thai people.

They talk about modernisation of infrastructure, regulations on corruption and safety, they talk about fair working-conditions and fair-pay. They know that Thailand is a truly great nation, with huge untapped human potential that has for too long been corroded and sabotaged by unscrupulousness and incompetence.

None of my Thai friends are talking about the divisive and pointless social hara-kiri of the coloured-shirts days. Most people have moved on, and are keen to see a new more positive and inclusive chapter begin.