4 tourists pay THB8,840 for seafood meal

webfact

I'm from Hua Hin we had one lobster and rice and some mussels .

2500.00 bath , it was very good , and yes sea food not cheap .

I would go back any time .

And we left 40 bath tip , don't leave 10 % leave what you like 20 bath ok too .

Don't have to tip there is no law .

I'm against tipping .

It's bad for business .

I go out every day , every one likes me . There is no problem .

Try it !

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 tier pricing isn't just a Thai problem. It happens in any city with a large tourism industry. Dishonest people are everywhere. I am not sure it's even illegal here in Thailand I have seen it in Phuket and Hua hin.

In my previous post I was pointing out that you need to be aware of pricing before you order. If the menu doesn't have prices you need to ask the waiter and be prepared to leave if you don't like the asking price. Caveat Emptor!

If they went elsewhere it wouldn't have been much cheaper .... maybe 1,000 - 1,500 max.

2,000 baht each for seafood dinner, crab, fish & river prawns, drinks etc ...

Price seems to be at the high end of mid-restaurant market rates, however not exorbitant.

Case closed .

Case closed.

Who do you think you are, Judge Judy?

this is such a non topic.

How much did the menu say it would cost?? didnt bother to check then tough. Same as getting in tuk tuk and not setting a price.

Is it a scam - yes, when you have a job interview and discuss your salary, do you honestly say what you think you are worth to the company, or the absolute MAX you think they will pay.

And besides - they never complained about the food, seafood is expensive and if it was decent there is a seafood restaurant here in Phuket I go to that has prices that match this. Better location than BKK i suspect, but it is not WAY over the top.

And if you get taken to place because your taxi driver suggests it - you get what you deserve.

There is a thing called the internet - do some research.

Not everyone is as smart and outspoken as you Graeme. Some consumers are really gormless and should be protected.

Its not cheap but then quality never is and the bill has a mistake.

I have paid 1000 baht per person for good sea food and not complained.

But at the end of the day its "live and learn"

Experiencing Thainess, its all part of the campaign to show the world how generous and welcoming Thais are to tourists.

I really feel sorry for you.You know very little about Thailand,probably only bad things

If the tourists were happy they wouldn't have complained.

I know enough about Thailand to know how sick tourists are of being ripped off. Sanctimonious comments like yours are preposterous. How much do you have to know to understand when you are feeling ripped off?

If it is not covered by the "Chinese Buss Tour Price" it is too expensive for today's chinese tourist in tur Thailand.

They need to eat the tour planned meals with the group.

Tourism in Thailand is up..( Chinese tourists)

Tourist spending in Thailand is way down ( again, Chinese Tourists on packaged tours )

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

I can have a large beer and a pad siew gai in Chiang Mai for less than 100 baht.

I can also go to Le Coq D'Or and have a five course lunch for set price 2300 baht. Terrific ambience, service and food. You get what you pay for.

A restaurant meal and wine in Australia leaves no change out of 1300 baht nowadays. Seafood? Leave an arm and a leg at the table.

In journalistic terms, think this is what's called a beat-up.

I can have a large beer and a pad siew gai in Chiang Mai for less than 100 baht.

I can also go to Le Coq D'Or and have a five course lunch for set price 2300 baht. Terrific ambience, service and food. You get what you pay for.

A restaurant meal and wine in Australia leaves no change out of 1300 baht nowadays. Seafood? Leave an arm and a leg at the table.

Has nothing to do with this thread. The menu price was not the price on the bill they got ripped off. The menu quoted a per pound price as if it was a per item price. Read the reviews of the restaurant. Old scam in BKK.

Its not cheap but then quality never is and the bill has a mistake.

I have paid 1000 baht per person for good sea food and not complained.

But at the end of the day its "live and learn"

Not at all. If you read the reviews of the restaurant the menu price was a per pound price but said an each price. When they got the bill the difference was explained and they got ripped off and angry. Happens to everyone who goes to that restaurant. Has been happening for years. It happened to me. The price on the menu is cheap but when you get the bill it's ten times the menu price.

Has nothing to do with this thread. The menu price was not the price on the bill they got ripped off.

Where is the menu and prices shown in this thread, I did not see them.

This is one of those threads where no one reads the thread and tries to change the topic to reflect either A. High prices in Bangkok. B. Low prices in Bangkok or some other issue not related to the thread.

Read the reviews of the restaurant at http://www.tripadvis...et-Bangkok.html

And you will realize a per pound price is quoted on the menu as an each price. So 300 baht on the menu becomes 3000 on the bill. It is the bait with a low per pound price and then slam with the price of the whole fish after the meal.

For example. "Waiter how much is that fish." Waiter, "300 baht." Get the bill, customer blows top, Waiter then clarifies, "oh you didn't know I meant 300 baht per once?" "Your fish was 10 onces so 3000 baht."

Has nothing to do with this thread. The menu price was not the price on the bill they got ripped off.

Where is the menu and prices shown in this thread, I did not see them.

http://www.tripadvis...et-Bangkok.html read the review. I know because I ate at the place a long time ago.

"No one pays $60 for a seafood meal (not even in USA which I had last night)."

Not at Red Lobster. However, there are better quality restaurants where a appetizer, soup, salad, seafood entree, desert and a drink or two could easily run $60.

You should get out of Hooterville more often...

"No one pays $60 for a seafood meal (not even in USA which I had last night)."

Not at Red Lobster. However, there are better quality restaurants where a appetizer, soup, salad, seafood entree, desert and a drink or two could easily run $60.

You should get out of Hooterville more often...

I have to go to bed. Someone should volunteer to count all the off topic posts in this thread. It is not about the price of the meal it is about getting ripped off by a different price on the menu and another price on the bill. The per ounce and per each price switch.

My bet is 50 more off topic posts (not about the price per and each scam) before the sun rises in Thailand.

Please stop comparing your stories of spending a lot of $$ at a restaurant to being deceived and forced to pay an extra tip.

This isn't London, America or Phuket for that matter.

Also I'm sick of you saying this is 'Thainess'. It's racist that every negative thing that happens is somehow an inherent problem Thai people just have and are born with. There are good and bad people everywhere. These tourists were naive, yes, but most tourists are, and they ran into some bad people and got deceived. The restaurant deserves its bad publicity. This is news worthy.

More information on this...

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-travel-agents-association-calls-for-action-against-sriayudhya-seafood-restaurant-scamming-tourists.html

Monday, May 18th, 2015 | Posted by Editor

Thai Travel Agents Association Calls for Action Against Sriayudhya Seafood Restaurant Scamming Tourists

sriayudhya-seafood-market.jpg

Sriayudhya Seafood Market, Bangkok

BANGKOK – Charoen Wangananont, President of the Thai Travel Agents Association want authorities to take decisive action against the Sriayudhya Seafood Market, in Bangkok that reportedly overcharged four Chinese tourists for a meal.

The Sriayudhya Seafood Market Restaurant charged them 8,840 baht for a meal, including 17% value-added tax and a “mandatory” 800-baht tip. The legal VAT is 7%.

975871-180x300.jpg

A image of the restaurant bill

A image of the restaurant bill and receipt has circulated widely on chat forums. It was posted by one of the four Chinese tourists who dined at the Sriayudhya seafood restaurant in the Ratchathewi area on the recommendation of their taxi driver.

The receipt shows the four diners were charged very high prices, which included 1,800 baht for fish (snapper), 1,750 baht for shrimp, and 1,600 baht for crab, with 17% VAT and an 800 baht service charge – for a total of 8,840 baht.

term.

Mr Boonyarit said the department had punished several seafood restaurants in tourist locations for such behaviours in the past, and for charging different prices for Thais and foreigners.

The restaurant could not be reached for comment despite several phone calls.

In travel ratings website TripAdvisor, many people gave poor ratings for this restaurant. Many of them wrote that they were ripped off and encouraged others not to go there.

Can I bash Somboon Restaurant here for doing pretty much the same thing to my bill of 800 baht that suddenly was inflated to 1600 baht? Of course, I sent the bill back and paid for only what I had ordered. That's Somboon on Suriwong. Do not go there.

More information on this...

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-travel-agents-association-calls-for-action-against-sriayudhya-seafood-restaurant-scamming-tourists.html

Monday, May 18th, 2015 | Posted by Editor
Thai Travel Agents Association Calls for Action Against Sriayudhya Seafood Restaurant Scamming Tourists
sriayudhya-seafood-market.jpg

Sriayudhya Seafood Market, Bangkok

BANGKOK – Charoen Wangananont, President of the Thai Travel Agents Association want authorities to take decisive action against the Sriayudhya Seafood Market, in Bangkok that reportedly overcharged four Chinese tourists for a meal.

The Sriayudhya Seafood Market Restaurant charged them 8,840 baht for a meal, including 17% value-added tax and a “mandatory” 800-baht tip. The legal VAT is 7%.

975871-180x300.jpg

A image of the restaurant bill

A image of the restaurant bill and receipt has circulated widely on chat forums. It was posted by one of the four Chinese tourists who dined at the Sriayudhya seafood restaurant in the Ratchathewi area on the recommendation of their taxi driver.

The receipt shows the four diners were charged very high prices, which included 1,800 baht for fish (snapper), 1,750 baht for shrimp, and 1,600 baht for crab, with 17% VAT and an 800 baht service charge – for a total of 8,840 baht.

Charoen Wangananont, said that particular incident would not directly affect the number of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand because the country had many impressive features to please visitors.

Now tell them how they got ripped off........

I picked out a restaurant on my own, two of us went and had lobster and a few other items and it was over 6000 baht. The bill was more than I expected, not the best lobster I had, not the most expensive but not worthy of a news article either.

They paid too much in my opinion. 8000 baht for 4 people eating seafood is way too much for Thai standards.

Normally it is about 3000 baht eating crab, shrimp and fish for 4 people.

But the problem is we don't know what they had and how much they had? What kind of crab? Was it blue crab or king crab? Fresh blue crab is about 400 Baht/kg in the market so a restaurant could charge 800 Baht/kg. If it was blue crab, then they were ripped off.

Next prawns, what kind of prawns they had? This varies from type to type and their size. Huge river prawns are sold about 500 Baht/kg in seafood fresh markets. If they had those prawns they would be about 1000 Baht/kg in a restaurant. If it comes to real big sea prawns than the price would be even higher.

Expensive sea fish is about 400-500 Baht/kg in the fresh market. Whole salmon is less than 300 Baht/kg in Macro, and "pra kapong" is even cheaper. Of course the restaurant could add up a 100% increase to these prices.

The problem is we don't know what kind of crab, prawn or fish they had. It is like arguing about something without knowing the facts.

Many places charge per kilo, if they had generous portions then it could be right. I've bought giant prawns that were 200-300 baht each.

If you paid 200-300 per prawn; you were ripped off. Up to you if you want to pay that; but it's wrong.......

If they went elsewhere it wouldn't have been much cheaper .... maybe 1,000 - 1,500 max.

2,000 baht each for seafood dinner, crab, fish & river prawns, drinks etc ...

Price seems to be at the high end of mid-restaurant market rates, however not exorbitant.

Case closed .

Case closed.

Who do you think you are, Judge Judy?

I can tell you right now, that any restaurant which uses cheap hand written bills such as this, are anything but mid-high end....

Case closed!

Edited by alphaflight

I picked out a restaurant on my own, two of us went and had lobster and a few other items and it was over 6000 baht. The bill was more than I expected, not the best lobster I had, not the most expensive but not worthy of a news article either.

Did you know the price beforehand? Its the principle here not the price. Everyone has a story about paying a lot at a restaurant.

Surely people can't be this dumb by asking a friendly taxi driver to locate a restaurant for you. I would have thought the hotel where you were staying.

Furthermore, surely the restaurant had a menu with the relevant prices.

Unbelievable.

ps Why post this anyway, it's useless information, like many original posts that are posted in ThaiVisaForum.

Enjoy

quite high price, but should check prices on menu.

isn't membership here voluntary

That restaurant is a scam, and the standard of the place as well as the food is clearly low-end. I was there many years ago with friends. We picked a few items from the menu that were reasonably priced. Then the waitress recommended a couple of what she said were their specialties, but nothing that indicated that it should be particularly expensive. I remember one of the courses was squid fried in garlic, which appeared on the bill costing 650 baht. Total bill for three persons was close to 5,000 baht including a few beers (which wasn't on the menu but cost a couple of hundred baht each).

While there are high-end seafood restaurants in Bangkok where prices like these are normal, this is not one of them. Unfortunately, inexperienced tourists are easy to fool and often ask taxi drivers etc. for advice with regards to restaurants.