4 tourists pay THB8,840 for seafood meal

webfact

Could be me, but those numbers don't add up to 8,800, even when the tip is included.

It is amazing how many here jumped to the conclusion that the prices were the problem, not the math.

It is a scam.

The prices on the menu were not the same as the prices on the bill that was the scam not the maths

Clearly, the amounts written down don't add up to the subtotal (before the 10% service charge). Even adding in a 17% VAT doesn't equate to the sub-total.

Now if you are looking at a menu and can directly compare and can see differences in the prices and what they were charged per item, that would be a double scam.

No, make it a triple scam since VAT is 7%, not 17%. Also, service charge is normally charged on food and drink items, not after tax and the inflated amount.

Summary, Tourist Police take note.

Go back and look for a 6000 baht error. The rest of us have found it.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 from 43 reviewer´s in tripadvisor rated this restaurant as terrible.
The headlines read like “stay Away”, “Beware of this restaurant”, “Tourist ripoff beware”, “Scam travellers and overpriced food” ....
All reports have two things in common:
They were tourists without city knowledge and
were introduced by taxi/tuk tuk drivers who get commission kick backs there.
Certainly not a prime example of Thai hospitality there.

The real story here is the bill only comes to 7,007 before service not the 8,039. Dosnt matter how or when you add in the VAT or service charge, it dosnt come to 8,800

in other words they WERE ripped off by an inflated incorrect bill.

The real story here is the bill only comes to 7,007 before service not the 8,039. Dosnt matter how or when you add in the VAT or service charge, it dosnt come to 8,800

in other words they WERE ripped off by an inflated incorrect bill.

Oh, give me strength

Go back to the beginning of the topic, and start again. Read all of the posts this time.

Pay particular attention to this one, and the numerous mentions of the bill calculations again and again throughout the topic

See how they make the 800bht tip mandatory, how much more Thainess can that be clap2.gif

I go to many eating establishments in LOS and quite a few high-end restaurants charge an additional service charge (10%) and VAT (7%). It's all there on the menu.

There's a lot of food on that bill and, divided by four, doesn't sound too dramatic to me.

Many similar places in London.

"Many similar places in London".

Perhaps it has escaped your limited notice that we are not in London, but in a country acknowledged to be cheap to visit.

Or maybe you are an oft-visitor rather than a resident. That would explain your lack of knowledge.

You must be a street food kind of guy, Johnny with yer 30 baht noodles, right?

Plenty of HiSo restaurants will charge around that figure for seafood. Ho's Kitchen springs to mind. Very up-market, exclusive clientele. 2K per head is not outrageous.

Judging by the Cheap Receipt paper that the bill was written on, this is a crappy seafood restaurant... (not a good one which would usually give a PRINTED BILL !!!)

so,, the prices are HIGH, I believe for THIS Particular restaurant.

Then again, who knows the SIZE of their portions.

I can definitely say that 300 baht for VEGGIES seems high... (usually would be around 130 to 180 baht).

and PLAIN RICE seems HIGH for 150 baht too !!

(again,, these prices would be NORMAL if it was a HOTEL restaurant or a Stylish Restaurant)... but then the receipt would be Branded and Printed.

so, yes, I agree they were ripped off... (especially as the Bill doesn't even 'add-up'... Lol) the total is 7,007 baht (plus 10%) (unless of course the DRINKS were on another piece of paper (which often can happen).

in my opinion, the poor fish and crabs suffered far far greater than this persons wallet. (i'm a vegetarian, so, as you can imagine, I don't really pity peoples complaints about eating animals).

also: I was done out of 20,000 baht in Beijing China in a scam Tea-House. (beware getting scammed in china in some of the Tea-Houses)... Lol

Why must you pepper your posts with all-caps words and phrases?

Seriously, try reading this quoted post out loud, and shout when you get to the words in ALL CAPS, it is both hilarious and slightly un-nerving at the same time.

Back to reading-101:

so, yes, I agree they were ripped off... (especially as the Bill doesn't even 'add-up'... Lol) the total is 7,007 baht (plus 10%) (unless of course the DRINKS were on another piece of paper (which often can happen).

You too, back to the beginning and read the whole topic. Pause here. Continue through to end, reading all posts carefully.

What is confusing is the oft used defamation laws of LOS. Fourteen pages of mostly defamatory comments about this particular business but it's still here.

Maybe I'm missing something.

They're probably still trying to deal with the trip adviser comments first.

They have a much bigger audience.

If they care that is, judging from the TA comments, they don't.

Plus recently defamatory cases where the truth was told were thrown out of court.

Another CHEAP CHARLIE story. Looking at the bill the prices seem fair if you every ate in a nice restaurant. No mention drinks etc.. $260 usd for 4 people eating fish, crab etc...

I hope these tourist never visit NYC or LA for a night out.

Another CHEAP CHARLIE story. Looking at the bill the prices seem fair if you every ate in a nice restaurant. No mention drinks etc.. $260 usd for 4 people eating fish, crab etc...

It wasn't the prices as such, but more the underhand, deceptive, snide manner in which the restaurant disguised the true cost.

If your eating giant crab, lobster (imported maybe), giant prawn and seafood for 4 people plus drinks doesn't seem exorbitant. Anyone eat at restaurants in Luba State Tower building? Will cost you a lot more than that.

If your eating giant crab, lobster (imported maybe), giant prawn and seafood for 4 people plus drinks doesn't seem exorbitant. Anyone eat at restaurants in Luba State Tower building? Will cost you a lot more than that.

Did the menu price get inflated 10 times when you got the bill?

Just for the record, and our Math Challenged friends:

The problem is ???

Just for the record for our reading challenged friends: They (the restaurant) told the folks the meal was going to cost 2000 baht but when they got the bill it was close to 8000 baht.

Edited by lostoday

The problem is ???

150bht per portion of rice, not 150bht for 4 portions.

My local sea food restaurant (which isn't particularly cheap) charges 10bht per portion or 30bht of a huge bowl (4 portions).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Now if you can find a thread on the cost of seafood at good restaurants you will have a match.

The problem is ???

150bht per portion of rice, not 150bht for 4 portions.

My local sea food restaurant (which isn't particularly cheap) charges 10bht per portion or 30bht of a huge bowl (4 portions).

They actually charged for the rice twice - even the most humble of places will top up your rice bowl without charging if required during the meal.

So many people not reading the original post or the TV posts. People aren't taking issue with the bill being 8,000 baht. Yes, if they were a medium to high class restaurant that may well be the price, more even. But this restaurant isn't a high class or medium class restaurant. Anywhere that charges for towels (I'm assuming those nasty disposable wet types) instead of bringing a nice hot facecloth to the table, as they do on planes, is definitely a low class restaurant. It is a scam, lots of other people have been caught out by this restaurant - not a similar one, actually THIS one, and have left detailed reviews of the way they were scammed.

The 4 tourists are going to go back to Malaysia and tell all of their friends what happened. I can just imagine all of the Aunties tut-tutting. This story is good enough for the Aunties to tell others, and they will tell others. I would be surprised if The Star or The Sun haven't picked up on this given how much attention it's had in Thailand. And this story is so good that most people who hear it will either tell somebody else and/or have a discussion with somebody else about it. This will cancel out several hundred thousand baht worth of advertising by the Tourism Authority. And then, there will be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back. I don't know where the tipping point is, but there is one and every time a greedy Thai does something like this and gets away with it we get closer. A

One poster mentioned that it happens in their home country. Yes, it does occasionally. There is a big difference though. The people ripped off can go to the police with confidence that they will speak very good English and that they will investigate and most likely prosecute; they may have no choice. Tourism Malaysia guards it's international reputation a lot more than their Thai counterparts, and they have enough influence in the country to ensure that such people are arrested in a very public manner then go to court in an equally public manner. The other thing is that Malaysians are very curious and go out of their way to talk to tourists. If this story is told to a Malaysian - just your average Malaysian on the street - they would be horrified and ashamed of their countrymen for doing such a thing and angry at them for tarring the image of Malaysia. Finally, they would advise making a police report if one hasn't already been made.

This is getting stupid. 12 pages now and 90% of the posts aren't relevant.

1. This isn't a comparison between any other country and Thailand.

2. This isn't a comparison between this bill and expensive rest. or your personal expenses.

3. This isn't an opportunity for racists slams at Chinese, foreigners or Thais.

Please read the article before posting. Please read a few of the posts before spouting the same garbage.

This is an article that states Local Thais are very upset because this rest. Cheated people.

The menu stated a price which wasn't the same as they paid on the receipt. The bill itself has 2 different tips added on, charged for towels, etc.

It isn't that the food was expensive it is that the menu listed the price, but the bill charged them per 100 grams at that price.

2. This isn't a comparison between this bill and expensive rest. or your personal expenses.

Please read the article before posting. Please read a few of the posts before spouting the same garbage.

This is an article that states Local Thais are very upset because this rest. Cheated people.

The menu stated a price which wasn't the same as they paid on the receipt. The bill itself has 2 different tips added on, charged for towels, etc.

It isn't that the food was expensive it is that the menu listed the price, but the bill charged them per 100 grams at that price.

I must admit you have made several valid points and motivated me to do some research.

Even though I have had some fun with this .. upon further review ... my tune has changed.

Yes, they were totally scammed and the restaurant deserves to be hit with a 140,000 THB fine.

It is simply impossible for so many people to take time to tell the excat same rip-off story and have it not be true.

Now, think of how many felt that way, and simply did not go to the trouble.

Score one for Zeichen .. it is amazing what can happen when a person writes a sane, balanced, fair and accurate summary ..

Thank You.

All those people complaining on tripadvisor must be cheap charlies as well then. This place and several similar restaurants are just another Bangkok scam and have always been. Nothing new here. Same if you visit some of the dodgy bars and get a bill of 10,000 baht for a couple of beers. Don't pay, get beaten up. But hey, if you have a couple of beers in a strip join in New York you probably pay the same.

Maybe you didn;t know it yet, but this happened in Bangkok in Thailand.

All those people complaining on tripadvisor must be cheap charlies as well then. This place and several similar restaurants are just another Bangkok scam and have always been. Nothing new here. Same if you visit some of the dodgy bars and get a bill of 10,000 baht for a couple of beers. Don't pay, get beaten up. But hey, if you have a couple of beers in a strip join in New York you probably pay the same.

Maybe you didn;t know it yet, but this happened in Bangkok in Thailand.

They are not complaining about it being expensive they are complaining that the price was changed from the menu to the bill and that is fraud.

As you say, this is getting stupid.

Euhhhh.....only this????

Do you see a basic difference with most other threads on this forum? I don't.

Just another example of tourism being a con...........not just Thailand, the world over, but couldn't these losers read the prices?? If there were no prices on the menu, they had choices, ask or walk.

I ever dined at a Seafood restaurant near Hollywood Disco in 2005. I was taken there by a girl I knew and three of her friends. They told me the food was cheap here. A troup of waitresses took us to our table. We were given menus in English and placed our orders. The bill came to 10,400 baht. The bill was passed around to each girl (Thai girl custom) and they each scrutinized the bill for accuracy. Then it was given to me to pay. I add a 10% tip of 1000. A Thai group of four, sitting near us, who had been friendly all night ask to see my bill before I paid it. They had a similar feast minus a bottle of JBlack. They were shocked at the total and started checking the menu they still had at their table. The more they checked the prices the louder the voice became. When they finished they said "Bill no correct!" They then ask to see our menu that our bill was check with by the four maidens in my party. When they open our menu their jaws dropped! They called the manager to explain why the menu I had in English and the menu they had in Thai had different prices for the same food items. Menu in Thai:Total bill 5,300 baht. Menu in English 10,400 baht. Nothing was said. A new bill of 5,300 was brought to me. I still gave a 530baht baht tip to be split by the two waitresses that took good care of us. For the group of Thai's that got the bill corrected and exposed the double pricing, I paid for their dinner 2,195 baht. Still saved 1,975 which I spent on the taxi and Swenson's.

Just another example of tourism being a con...........not just Thailand, the world over, but couldn't these losers read the prices?? If there were no prices on the menu, they had choices, ask or walk.

I ever dined at a Seafood restaurant near Hollywood Disco in 2005. I was taken there by a girl I knew and three of her friends. They told me the food was cheap here. A troup of waitresses took us to our table. We were given menus in English and placed our orders. The bill came to 10,400 baht. The bill was passed around to each girl (Thai girl custom) and they each scrutinized the bill for accuracy. Then it was given to me to pay. I add a 10% tip of 1000. A Thai group of four, sitting near us, who had been friendly all night ask to see my bill before I paid it. They had a similar feast minus a bottle of JBlack. They were shocked at the total and started checking the menu they still had at their table. The more they checked the prices the louder the voice became. When they finished they said "Bill no correct!" They then ask to see our menu that our bill was check with by the four maidens in my party. When they open our menu their jaws dropped! They called the manager to explain why the menu I had in English and the menu they had in Thai had different prices for the same food items. Menu in Thai:Total bill 5,300 baht. Menu in English 10,400 baht. Nothing was said. A new bill of 5,300 was brought to me. I still gave a 530baht baht tip to be split by the two waitresses that took good care of us. For the group of Thai's that got the bill corrected and exposed the double pricing, I paid for their dinner 2,195 baht. Still saved 1,975 which I spent on the taxi and Swenson's.

Gee all the Thai girls read English to order. Quite a score.

Edited by lostoday

I think alt of you are missing the point.Very easy to validate with receipt and restaurant 's name....

The question becomes do Thais/locals pay the same? Unless some very high end restaurant which I doubt, No one pays $60 for a seafood meal (not even in USA which I had last night)...

Until proven, clearly a case of taking advantage of ignorance - two tier pricing (another example of dishonesty)

Tried this restaurant in Chiang Mai, along Huay Keow Road, great Singapore restaurant with seafood. Prices are reasonable.

post-238698-0-93699000-1432352127_thumb.