4 tourists pay THB8,840 for seafood meal

webfact

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no error in addition, this has been addressed many many times in this topic

Actually there was an error. The "tip" was listed as 800THB but the total was padded out by adding 801THB.

Wasn't referring to the rounding up of 1 single baht on the total, but well spotted you.

You conveniently removed the posts I was replying to, so you have taken my reply out of context. Bad form, naughty.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826076-4-tourists-pay-thb8840-for-seafood-meal/page-3#entry9419162

There was no error in addition, this has been addressed many many times in this topic

Actually there was an error. The "tip" was listed as 800THB but the total was padded out by adding 801THB.

And the 7% service charge was calculated inclusive of the additional tax charge, which was actually 7.7%. No error in addition, just more padding.

Could be me, but those numbers don't add up to 8,800, even when the tip is included.

I get 7,007 before tip of 800.

Oldest trick in the book, and been around since Jesus Christ was wearing short pants.......an error in additions, used by restaurants the world over. If discovered by the patron, an apology is all that's required, and if not....pay day!

I've always checked additions, and still do, even with computerized bills.

You do realize that is not what the thread is about don't you? The overcharge is more like 6000 baht

Surely people can't be this dumb by asking a friendly taxi driver to locate a restaurant for you. I would have thought the hotel where you were staying.

Furthermore, surely the restaurant had a menu with the relevant prices.

Unbelievable.

ps Why post this anyway, it's useless information, like many original posts that are posted in ThaiVisaForum.

Enjoy

You guys are harsh on the tourists. I am more inclined to say tourists beware, you should have been warned at the airport that scamming easily cheated people is a national pastime in Thailand. Seafood restaurants have menus that rarely have a price on them, items listed as weight dependent. I have been caught out too despite living here 10 years....simply being in a more tourist oriented place and 'letting my guard down'. The rip off starts the moment you sit down with the cold towel you are led to believe is a complimentary welcome. And since when did 'tips' become compulsory? Hand written bills in Thai only are a scam in tourist restaurants, and I am pleased this place has been highlighted.

Always makes me laugh when I see 1800-2000 Baht a kilo prawns being offered......I'm sure many tourists don't do the sums in their head before buying.

My local seafood restaurant charges 400 Baht for a whole big sea bass grilled.

Its delicious.....but we consider that expensive....300 would be a normal price....but it is delicious and the place is aircon so we pay it from time to time.

On the Eastern Seaboard it would be much less.

Experiencing Thainess, its all part of the campaign to show the world how generous and welcoming Thais are to tourists.

See how they make the 800bht tip mandatory, how much more Thainess can that beclap2.gif

Whenever I see a "compulsory" service charge, I refuse to pay it, unless it clearly states on the menu that "These prices do not include service charge or VAT", in which case, I would probably go and eat elsewhere anyway.

However, on one occasion, I refused to pay the service charge (on the above grounds) and the waitress IMMEDIATELY cancelled the service charge, altered the bill accordingly, but did ask me to sign the amended bill to verify that it was at my request (i.e. she was not trying to line her own pockets!) But it did make me think that it was certainly not the first time that she had dealt with such a complaint.

You must be very cheap, pretty much all restaurants have service charge and vat nowadays.

No sympathy, if you only have a limited budget and stupid enough not to check prices before you order then too bad. Next time go buy 10 baht Mumma cup from 7.

I do not like to be suspicious about everything all the time.

I like to trust people.

Maybe I am asking too much?

Me too.

& I've paid the price.

Too much.

I think this is a posting to expose how really stupid some people who post on this forum are .. or that some, really do not live in Thailand .. and for sure .. not Bangkok.

Quick math lesson folks:

8,000 divided by 4 is 2,000. That is what it costs to eat crab, shrimp, live fish cooked to order, etc.

10% of 8,000 is 800.

Is there something I am missing here? .. or have i lived in Bangkok long enough to know which way is up?

And yes, anyone who uses a Tuk Tuk driver to "take them someplace special" is a moron who needs to know that half that 800 went to him as his finder fee.

There is a sucker born every minute, and I will not shed a tear for a gaggle of idiot tourists.

As one person asked, it is so obvious ...

Were the prices on the menu ??? or do you just smile and say "yes, four of everything" then COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

Perfect example of someone who thinks they know it all but know jack. I hope you get pulled over and piss tested. This price is not normal and if you think it is you are the 'stupid' you berate. Tips are also not mandatory. Pull your head out of your behind!

Posted earlier in the thread but bears repeating. Here is the link for the Tripadvisor reviews concerning the restaraunt in the OP

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2093368-Reviews-Sriayudhya_Seafood_Market-Bangkok.html

The food prices seem fairly high, but the reviews (and the bill in the OP) reveal a pattern of rip offs. I am referring to charging 140thb for towels, 300 baht to use a credit card, stacking or compounding VAT and service charges...that kind of thing.

One reviewer paid a charge (in Thai script) of 1945thb as a Taxi driver commission. No it is not the tourist's fault, they are not cheap or stupid. They were robbed, plain and simple, and if they were to go to the BIB I think we can all guess what would happen.

Edited by deckape

Posted earlier in the thread but bears repeating. Here is the link for the Tripadvisor reviews concerning the restaraunt in the OP

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2093368-Reviews-Sriayudhya_Seafood_Market-Bangkok.html

The food prices seem fairly high, but the reviews (and the bill in the OP) reveal a pattern of rip offs. I am referring to charging 140thb for towels, 300 baht to use a credit card, stacking or compounding VAT and service charges...that kind of thing.

One reviewer paid a charge (in Thai script) of 1945thb as a Taxi driver commission. No it is not the tourist's fault, they are not cheap or stupid. They were robbed, plain and simple, and if they were to go to the BIB I think we can all guess what would happen.

THIS ^^^^^

All of the self-righteous TV assclowns have come out out of the woodwork to call the victims stupid but it's a total rip-off restaurant with scores of tripadvisor reviews all saying the same thing. It's a scam designed to prey upon people, period.

My wife went with customer for businessdiner in BKK. Customer ordered 4 giant prawns = 3000 baht. The rest i forgot but seafood in BKK really is expensive in top-restaurants.

Nothing at all to do with this thread but your lack of concern about the niceties of reading a few posts before posting is refreshing.

No sympathy, if you only have a limited budget and stupid enough not to check prices before you order then too bad. Next time go buy 10 baht Mumma cup from 7.

I do not like to be suspicious about everything all the time.

I like to trust people.

Maybe I am asking too much?

Me too.

& I've paid the price.

Too much.

It explains why I enjoy our yearly trips to Europe so much, and why I live in eastern Thailand.

I have seen the same prices at the seafood restaurants on walking street in Pattaya.

See how they make the 800bht tip mandatory, how much more Thainess can that be clap2.gif

I go to many eating establishments in LOS and quite a few high-end restaurants charge an additional service charge (10%) and VAT (7%). It's all there on the menu.

There's a lot of food on that bill and, divided by four, doesn't sound too dramatic to me.

Many similar places in London.

Could be me, but those numbers don't add up to 8,800, even when the tip is included.

No, it's not you BP, I came up with B7007 then add 10% should be around B7700.

Judging by the Cheap Receipt paper that the bill was written on, this is a crappy seafood restaurant... (not a good one which would usually give a PRINTED BILL !!!)

so,, the prices are HIGH, I believe for THIS Particular restaurant.

Then again, who knows the SIZE of their portions.

I can definitely say that 300 baht for VEGGIES seems high... (usually would be around 130 to 180 baht).

and PLAIN RICE seems HIGH for 150 baht too !!

(again,, these prices would be NORMAL if it was a HOTEL restaurant or a Stylish Restaurant)... but then the receipt would be Branded and Printed.

so, yes, I agree they were ripped off... (especially as the Bill doesn't even 'add-up'... Lol) the total is 7,007 baht (plus 10%) (unless of course the DRINKS were on another piece of paper (which often can happen).

in my opinion, the poor fish and crabs suffered far far greater than this persons wallet. (i'm a vegetarian, so, as you can imagine, I don't really pity peoples complaints about eating animals).

also: I was done out of 20,000 baht in Beijing China in a scam Tea-House. (beware getting scammed in china in some of the Tea-Houses)... Lol

this is such a non topic.

How much did the menu say it would cost?? didnt bother to check then tough. Same as getting in tuk tuk and not setting a price.

Is it a scam - yes, when you have a job interview and discuss your salary, do you honestly say what you think you are worth to the company, or the absolute MAX you think they will pay.

And besides - they never complained about the food, seafood is expensive and if it was decent there is a seafood restaurant here in Phuket I go to that has prices that match this. Better location than BKK i suspect, but it is not WAY over the top.

And if you get taken to place because your taxi driver suggests it - you get what you deserve.

There is a thing called the internet - do some research.

Not everyone is as smart and outspoken as you Graeme. Some consumers are really gormless and should be protected.

I myself am gormless.

But with luck, and the help of a protective government, I hope to acquire gorm someday.

Ah, the gorm search. I'm afraid you are have chosen a long and hard pathway Grasshopper; may the elusive quality of gorm be yours someday, and if you catch it do not waste it or fritter it away.

I am gonna let you in on a secret I picked up on a while back that eats me inside. Women (like the four diners in the story) don't look at prices in restaurants. I have been out with girls my whole life and noticed they just pick what they want and never think twice about how much it will cost. This is probably because THEY NEVER HAVE TO PAY. On the rare occasion they do pay they are shocked when they see the bill because 90% of the time the dine out they never see it. They have absolutely no idea what twin lobster tails and three apple martinis cost. To the guys who think they are not "paying for it"...think again.

Oh, dear. Are we back in the 1970's? Not all women are freeloaders. In fact there are women out there who actually earn more than you do! Really, I'm not kidding. Would you think that they would offer to pay? Would you think that women who earn as much as you would offer to pay?

I'm afraid that this says more about the class and standing of the girls you take out if none of them are offering to pay their way, at least half of the bill.

When I have a meal or a drink with somebody it's friendship not romatic, but even though I'm retired I still couldn't skip out on the bill - with most people they pay this one, I pay next one etc.; I pay because it's the right thing to do. It's all about upbringing.

When I have a meal or a drink with somebody it's friendship not romatic, but even though I'm retired I still couldn't skip out on the bill - with most people they pay this one, I pay next one etc.; I pay because it's the right thing to do. It's all about upbringing.

When I have a meal or drink with a retired woman, she pays.

Why else would I sit at a table with her?:

When I have a meal or drink with a woman 30 years my junior, I pay.

Why else would she sit at a table with me?

as pointed out many times now, high quality good seafood is pricey anywhere in the world. that is 236 euro and 263 USD a seafood dinner for 4 for that price? wouldn't that be considered a steal in a place like NYC, Hong Kong, Paris, London??

Edited by Smurkster

as pointed out many times now, high quality good seafood is pricey anywhere in the world. that is 236 euro and 263 USD a seafood dinner for 4 for that price? wouldn't that be considered a steal in a place like NYC, Hong Kong, Paris, London??

In NYC, Hong Kong, Paris or London are the prices on the menu the same as the prices on the bill or can they change by 100% while the dinner is being consumed? Get it yet? Order dinner for $100 looking at the menu prices. When the bill comes the total has risen to $1000. That is what the thread is about. A bait and switch tactic between false menu prices and different prices on the final bill.

You're welcome.

Off topic, this is a Thai forum

U.S. $75 per head! Are you people kidding me! No big deal. Local fish and seafood

Served by people who get 10,000 baht a month served with rice and veggies. It's no wonder Thailand is becoming soooo expensive.

It is amazing how many here jumped to the conclusion that the prices were the problem, not the math.

It is a scam.

The prices on the menu were not the same as the prices on the bill that was the scam not the maths

Clearly, the amounts written down don't add up to the subtotal (before the 10% service charge). Even adding in a 17% VAT doesn't equate to the sub-total.

Now if you are looking at a menu and can directly compare and can see differences in the prices and what they were charged per item, that would be a double scam.

No, make it a triple scam since VAT is 7%, not 17%. Also, service charge is normally charged on food and drink items, not after tax and the inflated amount.

Summary, Tourist Police take note.