Thousands call for the North of England to become part of Scotland

webfact

Thousands call for the North of England to become part of Scotland
'New Scotland' would take in everything north of Chester to the west and Sheffield to the east - including Manchester
BY JENNIFER WILLIAMS

uk.jpg

MANCHESTER: -- Thousands of people have signed a petition calling for the north of England to break free - and join an independent Scotland.

The extraordinary demand - on the change.org website - would create a border from Chester in the west to Sheffield in the east.

So far the petition has accrued more than 6,300 supporters.

Using the hashtag #TakeUsWithYou Scotland, the call appears to have originated in Sheffield.

It says: “The deliberations in Westminster are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the north of England. The northern cities feel far greater affinity with their Scottish counterparts such as Glasgow and Edinburgh than with the ideologies of the London-centric south.

“The needs and challenges of the north cannot be understood by the endless parade of old Etonions lining the frontbenches of the House of Commons.

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thousands-call-north-england-become-9248178

-- Manchester Evening News 2015-05-19

As a Northerner I would comment that it matters little what school tie those in Westminster wear because even if we had their ears there is little material change they can make without the say so of Brussels. Get the UK out of the E.U before deciding whether or not a split into smaller groups would do any good, if said groups were answerable to Brussels that is.

There was a book wrote about this happening. It was banned in England. It was called. "The day the queen flew to Scotland for the grouse shooting". I come from Manchester and I am going to sign that petition immediately.

There was a book wrote about this happening. It was banned in England. It was called. "The day the queen flew to Scotland for the grouse shooting". I come from Manchester and I am going to sign that petition immediately.

6,300 and one then. Yep, there's always one. rolleyes.gif

Although I haven't been back for a while, I did sign. This is the first election that is really scaring me (if not for me, then for the people I left behind). Prior to that it was "new boss, same as..."

Edited by Shiver

May I make a different suggestion, that the people of England hold a referendum on whether Scotland should be allowed to be part of Great Britain. As the Scots have always said the best thing about Scotland is the road to England

Banned?

I needed to look it up, and having done so and seen the synopsis I now vaguely recall reading it in my youth; and its still freely available from Amazon and similar sites!

Edited by 7by7

Who cares?

Everyone knows that those in the north have always preferred to wear a dress anyway.cheesy.gif

Those that are supporting the petition seem to care.

As for dresses versus trousers. Some of the worlds worse scoundrels wore trousers (pants). A persons worth is not in what they wear, rather by what they do, say and believe.

Tolerance is an alien concept for those who find difference a subject for ridicule.

A red line across the map. Tosh ! The Thames barrier , thats more like it ,north of the Thames for the scots and south for the English ( and Cornish ). Mind you not having been back to Great Britain ,Scotland nor Northern Ireland for 11 years .......................just ignore I will be off to the pub very soon.

Shame on you.

Encourage a few mates to sign it too.

I can understand it if you come from Sheff, being a Manc is no way we would want to be part of this load of codswallop, even if we was the new capital (obviously)

Narr, we're doing alright in Manchester, the Northern Powerhouse as our mate Ossie said; new transport links going in (Northern Hub) etc, even Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle will prosper (oh there we go again Sheffield not involved lol?) Only time have been there is when I have to change trains for Doncaster or Sunny Scunnie ha ha ha... (did have some good 80s bands though) Ehh up! Don't you want me Ba...by...