Problems Opening A Thai Bank Account

I went to 3 different banks this week and they all said that I need a work permit to open a bank account in my name and that the new military govenment recently changed it to clamp down on foreigners opening accounts.

i have a non-o immigrant visa and need to get money into a bank account to show so that I dont need to do visa runs and re-new my 1 year visa at the end of the year. I dont own property in my name although i have a tenancy rental agreement, am married to a Thai and have a 6 year old

maybe a joint account is an option?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a Bangkok Bank branch that is used to working with foreigners: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

You'll need your passport with your 1-year visa, proof of your address (ideally with the address in Thai). Here in Chiang Mai it doesn't need to be a Cert of Residency, just something like a lease agreement, blue book, letter from your condo juristic person, etc and some sort of letter of reference as outlined on their website. Or a local person of good standing who can vouch for you. I've done with for new account people at my local Bangkok Bank branch when I've gotten to know people who plan to come to move to Chiang Mai as retirees. I've banked at this branch for a number of years and my husband and I have substantial funds on deposit there, so I guess they figure I'm credible even though I'm not Thai.

Bangkok bank was never foreigner friendly.

Kasikorn or krungsi, make sure to go to touristy zones, more likely to succeed and better English .

The standard "can not" is often because they do not know how to do.

PS. You will only need your passport and nothing else with these 2 banks

Edited by konying

Bangkok Bank is often the best bank for U.S. and U.K. retirees living in Thailand to be using because it has commercial branches in London and NYC. They are the ONLY Thai bank authorized by the U.S. government for direct deposit of Social Security and Veteran Administration pension payments and now, just recently, Tricare insurance reimbursements. Those of us with U.S. bank accounts can transfer funds using the ACH system and it's just like an interbank transfer in the U.S -- a very cheap way to move money from the U.S. into Thailand.

I don't know how you can get any more foreigner-friendly than that! Well, at least any more American friendly.

Kasikorn or krungsi, make sure to go to touristy zones, more likely to succeed and better English .

The OP already went around without much luck. It's a regulation since even before the coup not to open bank account to foreigners without work permit.

Now if you have a lot of time on your hands you can walk around and try to talk a bank clerk into opening a bank account for you. But if you go to the Bangkok Bank's main branch in Silom you're GUARANTEED to walk away with a bank account and a debit card within one hour. Up to you.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

The OP already went around without much luck. It's a regulation since even before the coup not to open bank account to foreigners without work permit.

Now if you have a lot of time on your hands you can walk around and try to talk a bank clerk into opening a bank account for you. But if you go to the Bangkok Bank's main branch in Silom you're GUARANTEED to walk away with a bank account and a debit card within one hour. Up to you.

I walk away with account and a card in 10 mins from krungsi bank in Pattaya ;)

Actually 3 accounts now :)

How much does Bangkok Bank charge to open a Debit card account ?

I know K-bank seems to have a sliding scale and tries to sell you one with accident insurance too ! (anyone used the insurance)

Nothing.

I forgot my debit card in a ATM a couple of month ago. It was replaced within 10 mn free of charge at my local branch.

Staff has always been very friendly with me whatever branch I visited. As usual I suspect more an attitude problem with the disgruntled customers. Banks have regulation, there is no point to argue with a front desk clerk. I offered a solution, bank's name and address. If you think you have better not point to argue just give us your bank and its "foreigner friendly" branch address.

Chok Dee.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Try Thai Military bank TMB, I have recently opened two a/c's with them, no problem what so ever. As an added bonus when you use their ATM in another region of Thailand there is no charge, unlike other Thai banks.

In CM my thaiwife and I tried in SCB, Kasikorn and Ayutthaya Bank and they all asked for workpermit - a friendly bankstaff in Ayutthaya adviced us to go to Bangkok Bank - Here no problem unless you are US then they want workpermit as well, if not US just passport and your wifes adress if she is thai, if not try the adress where you currently stay

The situation is that every branch of every bank is different, sometimes different bank staff in a branch have different answers. So advise needs to be specific to the branch and even then it will change over time. Also even if you already have an account in a branch there is no guarantee that you can open another in that branch later.

Best answer, unless there is recent information, is try different branches until one says OK.

Not so helpful I know but TIT.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Bangkok Bank is often the best bank for U.S. and U.K. retirees living in Thailand to be using because it has commercial branches in London and NYC. They are the ONLY Thai bank authorized by the U.S. government for direct deposit of Social Security and Veteran Administration pension payments and now, just recently, Tricare insurance reimbursements. Those of us with U.S. bank accounts can transfer funds using the ACH system and it's just like an interbank transfer in the U.S -- a very cheap way to move money from the U.S. into Thailand.

I don't know how you can get any more foreigner-friendly than that! Well, at least any more American friendly.

I have yet to find a Bangkok Bank branch that will allow me to open an account in NYC for deposits of my monies and then withdraw the funds in Thailand. Every one, so far, wants to charge me 5% per transaction. I am in Chiang Mai.

In Udon Thani I attempted to open an account at 3 banks without success. Went to local head office of Bangkok Bank and had account(s) opened in 20mins with ATM card no problems.

Passport, proof of residency( Thai GF & housebook) was all that was needed.

I opened a BKK account with only my Passport and proof of address.

You need to ask to open a savings account.........not a current account.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

In Thailand for a short time?

Staying for a long time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for
a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit
card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,
a reference letter from your embassy,
your home bank or a person acceptable
to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.
If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

Savings Account
A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of 500Bt. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account every six months. Accounts which become dormant with a balance below 2,000Bt will attract a monthly service charge.

When you open a savings account, you can opt to receive a handy Be1st Visa Debit card. You can use your card to withdraw cash, pay bills, or shop online or anywhere displaying the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

The Be1st Visa Debit Smart card is the first debit card in Thailand to use the latest EMV chip technology to keep your cash secure! This card can be used at Bangkok Bank ATM’s showing the Be1st Smart identification and online or at stores showing the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

Current Account
If you are a resident or are working in Thailand, with just a minimum deposit of 10,000Bt you can open a Bangkok Bank current account and be issued with personalized cheques. A monthly service charge may apply if the average balance is below 1,000Bt.

Fixed Deposit Account
To open a fixed deposit account with a range of deposit terms of up to three years, all you need is a minimum deposit of 2,000Bt. Please visit our latest deposit interest rates page to compare deposit rates.

Foreign Currency Deposit Account
With a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account, you can hold your funds in any of 14 currencies: USD, CNY, EUR, GBP, JPY, SGD, HKD, AUD, NZD, CHF, CAD, DKK, NOK, and SEK. This enables you to manage your foreign currency payments and income more effectively by minimizing risks from fluctuations in foreign currencies.

FCD account can be a savings, fixed deposit or current account, needing an initial opening deposit of USD 1,000 or the equivalent. Please note, the foreign currency deposit account can only be opened at certain branches - click here PDF_Icon.PNG to find your closest branch. You may also wish to view the Deposit and Withdrawal Fees, or other Conditions and Fees for the FCD account service.

Non-Resident Baht Account
A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations.

Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok.

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit
    • Passport
    • Work Permit
  2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
      relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
      funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

Something wrong here. If the military has clamped down on falangs opening bank accounts, doesn't that mean potential retirees can't deposit the required funds?

I opened a savings account with Bangkok Bank while on a tourist visa, no problem.

As previously suggested, maybe it's the type of account which is the issue. Perhaps the OP should take along a Thai speaker to help.

It's difficult to believe the economic advisers of government in any country would reject extra money in the country's banks, as this strengthens the local economy by making credit cheaper. However, TIT.

The situation is that every branch of every bank is different, sometimes different bank staff in a branch have different answers. So advise needs to be specific to the branch and even then it will change over time. Also even if you already have an account in a branch there is no guarantee that you can open another in that branch later.

Best answer, unless there is recent information, is try different branches until one says OK.

Not so helpful I know but TIT.

I think you may have outlined the origin of "Mai pen rai"!!!!

Go to a Bangkok Bank branch that is used to working with foreigners: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

You'll need your passport with your 1-year visa, proof of your address (ideally with the address in Thai). Here in Chiang Mai it doesn't need to be a Cert of Residency, just something like a lease agreement, blue book, letter from your condo juristic person, etc and some sort of letter of reference as outlined on their website. Or a local person of good standing who can vouch for you. I've done with for new account people at my local Bangkok Bank branch when I've gotten to know people who plan to come to move to Chiang Mai as retirees. I've banked at this branch for a number of years and my husband and I have substantial funds on deposit there, so I guess they figure I'm credible even though I'm not Thai.

Don't expect to be allowed to use your Thai driving licence for proof of your address. Sometimes it is not accepted.

This is Thailand.

The Bangkok Bank at the Emporium certainly isn't. There are a bunch of ---------s.

I have opened 3 accounts in the past 17 months. Never needed a work permit or certificate of residence. Opened first in December 2013 on 30 day entry stamp at Krungthai Bank. Numbers 2 and 3 in July 2014, at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, on 60 day tourist visa. All of the banks are in Surin.

There's no need for a work permit to open a bank account, even if you get told so at many branches. Insist and explain them that you need an account because of visa (extension) requirements. Do not make a joint account, it's not accepted by most of the immigration offices. I have different accounts in several banks. I always got an account at the branch I wished to, tough they mostly asked for a work permit initially (I don't have one). Passport, adress and telephone number is all you need, I've never been asked for proof of residence.