Tacos at J & F in Jomtien

NightRider70

Really odd looking to me.

The white stuff on the side dish tray, is that sour cream or mayo?

On the tacos the meat appears hidden under other stuff.

I see red onions corn, tomato, is there also cabbage?

What was the meat?

What meats are offered?

Do they offer a hotter salsa?

I'm assuming the shells are prepackaged and they don't make their own, or offer soft, correct?

Edited by Jingthing

Really odd looking to me.

The white stuff on the side dish tray, is that sour cream or mayo?

On the tacos the meat appears hidden under other stuff.

I see red onions corn, tomato, is there also cabbage?

What was the meat?

What meats are offered?

Do they offer a hotter salsa?

I'm assuming the shells are prepackaged and they don't make their own, or offer soft, correct?

The pic is taken with flash so the colors is a bit off maybe. The white stuff is sour cream. The meat is under the lettuce. I think it was beef. They did not ask what kind of meat I wanted so may not be any more options. It tasted only like lettuce. Did not ask about salsa, the one they served was mild. The shells looked and tasted like the ones you buy at Villa market and comes in a box. I did not ask about soft shells.

Edited by NightRider70

I'm not a Mexican food expert but those tacos look very small. Mini-tacos perhaps?

Well, doesn't matter, that isn't really Mexican food.

Those are standard size commercial size hard taco shells.

Based on the picture the style is a Thai version of low quality Tex-Mex style. Personally ... wouldn't waste my stomach space on something like that.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not a Mexican food expert but those tacos look very small. Mini-tacos perhaps?

Based on the picture the style is a Thai version of low quality Tex-Mex style. Personally ... wouldn't waste my stomach space on something like that.

The person running it is Swedish so not very Thai style.

Lmao....another Pattaya fail on tacos....will stick to the Pork Carnitas tacos at La Monita......keep trying guys!!

The tacos were great at this J&F place. None of the posters knocking them have so far been at the restaurant.

Where is this La Monita place?

You can tell by the pictures what they are. Actually Tex Mex food can be good if it's good. To me they don't look appealing. To others they might. Depends on your experience with "Mexican" food and personal tastes. "Authentic" isn't everything.

There is no place in Pattaya offering actual Mexican tacos as pictured, though there is variety as well in Mexican taco styles that aren't Tex-Mex.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for letting the forum know about this place with tacos. I reckon it's not well known.

To add ... this kind of "mini" mention of food or restaurants fits great in ye olde HIT AND RUN restaurant review thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/

Edited by Jingthing

Lmao....another Pattaya fail on tacos....will stick to the Pork Carnitas tacos at La Monita......keep trying guys!!

The tacos were great at this J&F place. None of the posters knocking them have so far been at the restaurant.

You tried to help by posting helpful information but the armchair experts and they know who they are seem to be able to taste via a posted picture. I wonder if they can part the Red Sea or Walk on Water (select your religion as appropriate).

You tried to help by posting helpful information but the armchair experts and they know who they are seem to be able to taste via a posted picture. I wonder if they can part the Red Sea or Walk on Water (select your religion as appropriate).

Don't be ridiculous.

I know what those commercial hard taco shells are.

I have tasted them.

You can buy them at groceries.

No decent Mexican restaurant would serve them, or Tex-Mex either.

The salsa I can tell by looking is out of a bottle or can and no kick (the OP confirmed no kick but it was obvious from picture).

The meat, ground beef, OK that's a Tex-Mex thing ... not something you would ever find on a Mexican taco where the emphasis is on the special meats.

I did guess it was ground beef from the style of taco and OP confirmed. I admit I couldn't have known that from the picture as you can't even see any meat. I thought this being Thailand it might be ground pork instead but indeed it was beef.

Seriously, the picture in this case tells a lot.

Some people will think that picture represents what they want.

Others will think the opposite.

So it's a service to post it.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Jingthing

I think people are simply pointing out that authentic Mexican tacos, that many people love and crave, do not look like the images that the OP posted. There is nothing malicious about that. Here is a picture of some really good authentic tacos (soft):

post-110622-0-64465300-1432108312_thumb.

I would like to add that really good hard-shell tacos do not look like what the OP posted. Here is a picture of a taco (sort of Tex-Mex) that I know for a fact is excellent because it is from one of my favorite Mexican restaurants:

post-110622-0-98382900-1432108412_thumb.

The corn tortillas are handmade. The meat is chopped, grilled sirloin. The cooking technique causes the shells to puff up a bit. It is served with great salsa.

The OP likes the tacos he has found. Great! The picture does not make me want to even try them (that comes from experience). But that does not mean the tacos in question are not good in the opinion of others; that is simply my opinion.

What really troubles me is that several entrepreneurs have tried to make and sell tacos over here and 99% refuse to learn anything about what an actual Mexican taco looks and tastes like. And they are clueless when it comes to preparing genuine tacos.

Not surprisingly, most of these places fail; it has happened over and over again. La Monitas in Bangkok is trying to make some decent Mexican food (I always eat there when I go to Bangkok). And any place by the infamous "Jorge" will serve good tacos (I understand he has opened a new place in Bangkok).

Sadly, we do not have one decent Mexican food place in Pattaya-Jomtien, but that is my view and others obviously do not share that view. It is OK to agree to disagree. We are not robots; we are humans and we do not all think alike.

Thank you.

Exactly!

Pictures tell a lot.

There are people living here who have never had anything close to actual Mexican tacos and think what was pictured in the OP is that ... but it isn't even close.

They might indeed like and want the style of food shown in the OP. No problem with that ...

Edited by Jingthing

I think people are simply pointing out that authentic Mexican tacos, that many people love and crave, do not look like the images that the OP posted. There is nothing malicious about that. Here is a picture of some really good authentic tacos (soft):

attachicon.gifmigru_tacos.jpg

I would like to add that really good hard-shell tacos do not look like what the OP posted. Here is a picture of a taco (sort of Tex-Mex) that I know for a fact is excellent because it is from one of my favorite Mexican restaurants:

attachicon.gifp1110193.jpg

The corn tortillas are handmade. The meat is chopped, grilled sirloin. The cooking technique causes the shells to puff up a bit. It is served with great salsa.

The OP likes the tacos he has found. Great! The picture does not make me want to even try them (that comes from experience). But that does not mean the tacos in question are not good in the opinion of others; that is simply my opinion.

What really troubles me is that several entrepreneurs have tried to make and sell tacos over here and 99% refuse to learn anything about what an actual Mexican taco looks and tastes like. And they are clueless when it comes to preparing genuine tacos.

Not surprisingly, most of these places fail; it has happened over and over again. La Monitas in Bangkok is trying to make some decent Mexican food (I always eat there when I go to Bangkok). And any place by the infamous "Jorge" will serve good tacos (I understand he has opened a new place in Bangkok).

Sadly, we do not have one decent Mexican food place in Pattaya-Jomtien, but that is my view and others obviously do not share that view. It is OK to agree to disagree. We are not robots; we are humans and we do not all think alike.

Where did I say it was authentic Mexican? I said it was western tacos.

Thank you.

Exactly!

Pictures tell a lot.

There are people living here who have never had anything close to actual Mexican tacos and think what was pictured in the OP is that ... but it isn't even close.

They might indeed like and want the style of food shown in the OP. No problem with that ...

Where did I say it was actual Mexican tacos?

Should probably stick to Swedish meatballs.

Thank you.

Exactly!

Pictures tell a lot.

I never said you did, so suggest you stop being so sensitive about this.

I respect that you liked that food.

You said western though.

Frankly not sure if you meant western as in German tacos or western as in western USA ... Tex Mex.

Anyway they clearly are what I said they are and yes I can tell from the picture ... a Thai take on lower quality Tex Mex tacos. (Good quality Tex Mex tacos would at least not use such shells and have respectable salsa.) The Thai take is related to that side salad ... very Thai idea of farang salad looking, would never get a salad looking like that in a real Tex Mex place, not that there is anything wrong with salad ... that would probably be the feature for me.

Edited by Jingthing

attachicon.gifmigru_tacos.jpg

attachicon.gifp1110193.jpg

Happy Taco off second road serves "mexican tacos" not tex mex or americanized style. Are they as good as in Mexico, no. For making them in Thailand I would give them 4 out of 5 stars.

Thank you.

Exactly!

Pictures tell a lot.

Night Rider you are preaching to the deaf, I believe the main antagonist is a true food snob but can't see his replies as I have had him on ignore since he pontificated about Indian food. Some of us thank you for your attempt at educating us to new places. Sometimes it's easier just,to ignore the food Hi-So"s.

Should probably stick to Swedish meatballs.
Aha so not German tacos but Swedish ones. Heck ... I was close.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app