Microsoft Lumia 640 in Thailand?

I just been reading a couple on on-line tests of this new Win 8 phone and I am tempted to get one.

2 places it gets 4 stars out of 5 possible which is not bad for the price.

I would like to try a phone with the Win OP instead of Android. I don't care so much of not such a large choice of aps.

I wonder if anybody know if this phone will be for sale in Thailand and when? If yes, is it the 4G one?

They write free upgrade to Win 10, hmm

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3600455/microsoft-lumia-640-review-moto-g-windows-world-ee-video/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/microsoft-lumia-640-review#tr-review-summary

From Thaivisa's Tech forum posted May 9.

Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE lands in Thailand this month

And from WinBeta web site.

Lumia 640, Lumia 640 XL and Lumia 430 launches in Thailand

Thai users, there's a piece of good news if you're waiting for the Lumia 640 or the bigger Lumia 640 XL to hit retail. Both handsets, alongside the budget-friendly Lumia 430, are now available in Thailand at a very pocket-friendly price tag. The Lumia 640 carries a 5,990 Baht ($183) while the Lumia 640 XL costs 7,990 Baht ($245). Last but not the least, the dual-SIM variant of the Lumia 430 is available for 2,750 Baht ($84).

Glad to see they finally figured out that front facing cameras were important to many buyers, an amazing omission from their last budget line-up. Beefed up the battery and processor as well. At 8gb, the 640 XL is a bit short on the memory side with many mid-priced phones now having 16gb. It's clear that very soon, 32gb will be common as well as 2gb RAM.

Windows phones are really easy for people easily befuddled by anything technologically complex as Android can sometimes be. Accidently touch the screen at the wrong time and you can be off to wonderland. Windows is less prone to such frustrations and is easier to navigate.

Most mainstream apps are now available for Windows and the list is growing.

Edited by dddave

Well I can use Android, no problems but I never found it super good and slightly boring too.

I will check out a L640 when I get home from overseas work next month.

I will keep my IQ4 that have been a good phone the last 2 years or so I owned it and it never let me down expect that the internal storage is only 1gb which makes adding apps difficult as not all of them can run from the mini sd card.

I hope Powerbuy sell the L640 as I don't like to buy from the small shops in Tukcom, Pattaya.

I wonder if Microsoft offer the free off-line maps as Nokia did? That was supposed very good.

Well I can use Android, no problems but I never found it super good and slightly boring too.

I will keep my IQ4 that have been a good phone the last 2 years or so I owned it and it never let me down expect that the internal storage is only 1gb which makes adding apps difficult as not all of them can run from the mini sd card.

I hope Powerbuy sell the L640 as I don't like to buy from the small shops in Tukcom, Pattaya.

I wonder if Microsoft offer the free off-line maps as Nokia did? That was supposed very good.

Powerbuy at Central Festival have removed completely the Nokia range of phones but one of the other shops on the third floor has the Nokia/Microsoft range. G/F recently purchased a 635. Says it is OK but on the slow side for her.A bit like me really.........

Powerbuy at Central Festival have removed completely the Nokia range of phones but one of the other shops on the third floor has the Nokia/Microsoft range. G/F recently purchased a 635. Says it is OK but on the slow side for her.A bit like me really.........

Thanks.

The L640 should be quicker than the 635 but it is not the fastest phone in the world but as they write in the reviews, enough for most.

I did check Microsoft's app web site and I can see you can still download the maps (for free) and almost worldwide.

I think there are now app 12K apps for the Win phones which is good enough for me as I only need 20 or so, and the list grows every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

The L640 should be quicker than the 635 but it is not the fastest phone in the world but as they write in the reviews, enough for most.

I did check Microsoft's app web site and I can see you can still download the maps (for free) and almost worldwide.

I think there are now app 12K apps for the Win phones which is good enough for me as I only need 20 or so, and the list grows every day.

Sorry, it was the 535 not the 635.

If you found using Android slightly boring then I would think that ios would put you into a coma.

Ok bough one today, in orange of all colors, 5990 and they gave me a free 16gb mini sd card.

The phone is smaller and lighter than my IQ4 that have same screen size.

I off-course have to get use to use this Microsoft OP system but so far it seems fine.

I have already down loaded the free off-line maps for Thailand and Singapore and some other aps as well and I could store them all on the sd card.

Took some photos with it too, looked quite good and sharp.

The phone fells fast enough but I am not very process demanding and the battery last very long time when using it for surfing on-line with wi-fi on.

It says on the box it comes in: Made in Vietnam.

Okay almost 1 week into my L640LTE ownership and here is what I learned so far;

When doing what a phone is foremost designed to do; making/receiving phone calls, I can clearly hear what they are saying and at high volume too if wanted, speaker too.

Choices of app's are not so good as on Android which I already knew before purchasing the phone but still not too bad.

I am not a big app dude, I got perhaps 15 and that about that, don't play games and stuff like that, movies on a 5" screen, no thanks man, not interested.

I want from my phone app wise: weather forecast, currency exchange rates, off-line maps, news, a bit of web surfing, camera, and a few other bops just for fun and very well covered here.

The Here drive maps (off-line) are very very good and the phone will very quickly pick up a GPS signal which sometimes took 10 min on my old IQ4. I used the maps and gps in my truck today for finding a restaurant app 12 km from my house and it was so easy to type the res name and off we went and there was a native English speaking female voice guiding me out there, I am impressed.

No anti virus app to download, I can't find any and what I can read on-line says that Microsoft checks the apps more than Android does before they are released and therefore small chances on malware and stuff like that.

The 8MP front camera is quite good, I have done one A4 print of one photo from it and it looks good, colors vibrant and sharp.

Writing messages is good too, no complaints.

Battery (removable) can easily last the whole day which is important to me, hate it when running out of juice in the afternoon and I will never carry a battery pack.

The not so good: The top drop down menu as you see on Android is still lagging behind, don't have the full options as on Android but only 4 shortcuts!

Alarm: No notification if it's on or off, hmm, so you will have to go to the alarm app and check if its on or not, well well.

Same with battery meter, there is the old type on top with a bar but no % despite downloaded a app.

YouTube app: can't go to full screen, well don't use it much anyway, prefer my 27" desktop super HD monitor for that, so I will survive.

Good or bad; You can't scroll over 3-5 pages and find you app's, there is only one page and you can scroll down but you can put some app's in a bigger box (then there will be small boxes inside the big box) and then tap it to get them fully on, okay for me since I as mentioned don't have +100 app's.

I am exited to see what the free upgrade to Win10 will bring, should come later this year.

For 5990 baht a very god buy I think and I am very happy with the phone so far and the 5" screen is good.

Off-course there are many better phones out there, much faster, better screens and so on, but for my needs and what I paid, I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Edited by guzzi850m2