Thai govt lottery office board decides to scrap jackpot prizes

webfact

GLO board decides to scrap jackpot prizes

5-19-2015-8-28-47-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The board of the Government Lottery Office (GLO) has agreed to scrap the jackpot prizes starting from August 1 draw and will resort to tax, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption laws to deal with major lottery traders who overcharge lottery prices, said Maj-Gen Apirat Kongsompong, chairman of the GLO board.

The new GLO board headed by Maj-Gen Apirat held its first meeting Tuesday and came up with a package of measures to ensure that the retail price of lottery tickets sold to consumers is fixed at 80 baht apiece across the country.

Besides the scrapping of the jackpot prizes and the application of the revenue code, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption laws to deal with profiteering major lottery traders, the board also agreed to set up ten task force teams which will be scattered throughout the country to make sure that lottery tickets are sold at the retail price of 80 baht apiece.

The teams are made up of officials from the Department of Special Investigation, the military, police and interior officials.

The board also decided to adjust the lottery price structure under which 60 percent of the revenue earned by the GLO are allocated for prize money; revenue sent by GLO to the state’s coffers slashed from 23 percent to 20 percent with the difference go to the GLO as management fees; 3 percent allocated to set up a fund for social activities; two percent as discount for foundation, associations and organizations; and 12 percent as discount for retailers or lottery vendors.

Under this new arrangement, retailers will receive lottery quota of five books each at a cost of 70.40 baht apiece whereas foundation, associations and organisations will retain their quotas at the cost price of 68.80 baht apiece.

Maj-Gen Apirat said under this new pricing, retailers will make a profit of 9.60 baht per ticket and they will make 10,000 baht profit each month from two fortnight draws.

He said that selling lottery should be treated as supplementary career and vendors should find a second job to make extra earnings.

He is optimistic that starting June 16, lottery will be available at 80 baht each across the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/glo-board-decides-to-scrap-jackpot-prizes

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-20

He is optimistic that starting June 16, lottery will be available at 80 baht each across the country. ....gigglem.gif

How intelligent are these people at solving problems .. ? they decide to scap the jackpot ... why ?

Have I missed something ? how does scraping the jackpot control the price per ticket ... ???? or are they scraping it because it is rigged and mafia were collecting the jackpot prize ??

or is it because the profit margin on 80 baht / per ticket is not sufficient to have the jackpot included ?

honestly ... i'm confused .. blink.png

who will buy tickets with no jackpot lottery ?

Amazing how something so minor in real terms has become such a priority for the Military Government.

And they are unable to fix the problem!

Good time to invade Thailand couldn't be too hard, and what would you be up against a bunch of ineffective bureaucrats in uniform.

So Jackpot will go, prices will go up for a ticket, what is the point of it? May as well just scrap it all together, at least i won't be bothered every day by rude rip off lottery ticket sellers ! Just have away with it !

There are two possible jackpots for each ticket. There is a 'normal' jackpot which you win if you match all six digits on the ticket plus a 'super' jackpot if in addition to matching the six digits you also match two bonus digits that are printed towards the bottom centre of the ticket.

Possibly they are talking about removing the 'super' jackpot.

There are two possible jackpots for each ticket. There is a 'normal' jackpot which you win if you match all six digits on the ticket plus a 'super' jackpot if in addition to matching the six digits you also match two bonus digits that are printed towards the bottom centre of the ticket.

I think you are right. Thai PBS seem to be very poor Thai-English translators, and a lot of their stories lead to vigorous head scratching.

He is optimistic that starting June 16, lottery will be available at 80 baht each across the country. ....gigglem.gif

How intelligent are these people at solving problems .. ? they decide to scap the jackpot ... why ?

Have I missed something ? how does scraping the jackpot control the price per ticket ... ???? or are they scraping it because it is rigged and mafia were collecting the jackpot prize ??

or is it because the profit margin on 80 baht / per ticket is not sufficient to have the jackpot included ?

They are scrapping it because it is rigged, and the tigers were winning their own lotteries....they said they are moving to a fortnight prize -- a small jackpot every two weeks.

But none of the five tigers are under the microscope, they are too big and won't fit under it....

I believe you are partly correct. There is the ordinary first prize of 4 million baht for 6 winning digits.

Then there is the jackpot prize showing two digits under the top line .... if you match those two numbers as well as your six then you get the jackpot .... ( can be anywhere from 5 - 100 million baht )

This is what they are talking about ...

So now they are just going to have the first prize. 4,000,000 baht

So you but a ticket to win nothing ... hmmm great plan. Somethings gotta be lost in translation here

You lost it, not the translation. There are many prizes other than the current jackpot, the second prize is currently 100,000 baht.

They are scrapping it because it is rigged, and the tigers were winning their own lotteries....they said they are moving to a fortnight prize -- a small jackpot every two weeks.

But none of the five tigers are under the microscope, they are too big and won't fit under it....

"They are scrapping it because it is rigged..."

There's only your word for that.

No jackpot Then I will not buy any tickets What for I am not interested in winning 2,000 baht I want a chance to win 4 million baht

This is a very poor Idea

And you have a very poor understanding of the lottery prizes.

"...and the tigers were winning their own lotteries.."

I think the woman who won 4.1 million baht last week would disagree with that.

When you think it won't get any worse......... Well....with a new Chairman with zero knowledge about lottery system,

and coming with such bizzare solution, it WILL get worse..... So sad........I am sure they know lottery vending machines

is the answer..... and yet they rather spend tax payers money to hire more people to monitor.....

Proper running of the lottery system will result hefty funds collected from the lottery sales, which could contribute to

the betterment of the society in Thailand as a whole, just like all other countries.....