Touring Cyclists in Hua Hin

Touring Cyclists in Hua Hin

Touring-Cyclists-in-Hua-Hin-300x212.jpg

HUA HIN:- Three touring cyclists were spotted pedaling through a small back street of Hua Hin barely wide enough to accommodate the bulging side packs slung to their bikes. They were asked about their cycling experiences in Thailand and a long and enjoyable Q & A session followed with some friendly people who were happy to share their experience and knowledge.

Where are you going? What is the final destination of your trip?

We have come from Vietnam and are continuing to Singapore by way of Malaysia. Then to Indonesia and perhaps even further, Australia and New Zealand are in the plan.

What preparations did you make for coming to Thailand?

We believe you cannot plan for everything. That would not be in the spirit of bicycle touring. We enjoy spontaneity and think it is a big part of travel. But, you do need to stay ready for anything on a bicycle tour; bad weather or somebody getting sick can change your plans very quickly and you must be able to adapt to that. We all made sure that we got the two-month (60 Day) tourist visa to allow for adequate time to cycle through Thailand to the Malaysian border.

How are you finding your route?

We use paper maps mostly. These maps are quite reliable and durable for cycle touring, although they do not have very much detail for finding smaller roads. They are plastic and therefore can withstand the wear and tear associated with cycle touring. We have also used Google Maps online as a reference to get an idea of where we are and where we would like to go. It is a good resource, but you must have Internet access to be able to use it. Sometimes it has been difficult to find Internet access or the connectivity is not so good in places we have been during our trip.

What do you find easy about cycle touring in Thailand?

The Thai drivers seem very tolerant of cyclists, more so than in other Asian countries we have traveled. Many of the roads in Thailand have good quality shoulders, even though they are not specifically bicycle lanes. Also, riding in Thailand feels more like we are on holiday than the tough cycling we have experienced in other countries. Finding accommodation, food and water is very easy here in Thailand. It seems like there is a petrol station along the road every 10 kilometres with bathrooms, water, and many other things we need. Finding these basic needs while cycling in other countries can be very time consuming and frustrating.

What do you find difficult about cycle touring in Thailand?

Riding through Bangkok! Even though we rode through on a weekend day, Sunday, which we thought would be less busy; we still had nerve-wracking and tough days of cycling on the roads of Thailand’s capital.

Have any of you traveled to Thailand prior to this cycle touring trip?

We have very little experience with Thailand. Even though two have spent a very short holiday here some time ago, we all feel that we are really seeing Thailand for the first time on this cycling trip.

What advice would you give to other cyclists thinking about coming to tour in Thailand?

Don’t bring a tent and sleeping bag. You will not need it, the guesthouses can be found very easily and the price is very good. Try all of the food, it is wonderful. Don’t worry about having to carry a lot of water, you can find water in many places along the road. Always be flexible with your plans.

How does Thailand compare to other countries you have done cycle touring in?

We can give you the Pros and Cons of what we have experienced so far during this part of our trip in Thailand. We will spend a few more weeks cycling through Thailand so maybe these will change, but so far: The Pros – great food, inexpensive accommodations, good roads, and easy to find maps & route information. The Cons – cycling through Bangkok. It is not impossible, but it is not very enjoyable.

Footnote:

Prime Minister Prayut recently promised that his government will build five more bicycle lanes in Bangkok and extend bike lanes to cover the entire capital so as to facilitate people to use bicycles for travels. In making improvement of existing bike lanes, he said the surface of roads, including drainage covers, will be smoothed for safe pedaling. For safety, all lanes will be painted in green with symbols to show they are reserved for bicycles.

hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 05/20/2015

I'd have to second the bicyclist's recommendations: Thailand is a great place for long distance bicycling. Yes, I am aware of tragic accidents in the past. As a bicyclist, I am doing my part by donning multiple red rear facing strobes and front facing white strobes. And wearing a helmet. I urge other cyclists to always wear a helmet.

My personal opinion of Tai drivers is that they are very good. Perhaps they trust too much in the Buddha amulets on their rear view mirrors?

Driving a motorbike, car or bicycle in the Kingdom means the "Indy 500" or "F1" in everyone comes out.

People race between lights on Sukhumvit, it is true. Kon Tai love to race.

Out in the boonies, all future bicyclists need to get Tai SIM card and 400-600b of internet access. Great 3G through most of the Kingdom, though I personally use the Nokia HERE Maps (free download for iPhone and Android). Nokia ovi maps are in 95% of vehicles on the road today in GPSs. Google Maps are great, but are battery, memory and network intense. Go Nokia HERE...off network maps. They are in your phone and consume minimal battery juice.

The best deal that is bicycling long distance in Thailand is their fantastic bus system. And that Thai PM Prayut Chan Ocha has made bicycling a front and center issue with kon Tai. Thailand has much going for it. The bus system is simply world class and commends much praise. The driver's readily accommodate and bicycle in storage. I take a bus from Chonburi to Nakhon Phanom on the MeKong WITH my bicycle and then pedal BACK to Chonburi. I did it in 6 days of pedaling. I rested in Surin.

Amazing Thailand. I was stopped constantly and asked 1,000 questions. Kon Tai are very curious and wanted to know everything.

And all of us need to get off our duff and explore the amazing, hidden Thailand off the beaten track. My arms ached from waving back to the all the curious kon Tai working in the rice fields. I usually started off my bicycle day with a wish "to make 50-75km." Before I knew it, 225-310km would click away. There is so much to see in Thailand, a special Kingdom.

The tragedies strike us all. They are not to be forgotten. There is no "closure." Their lives cut short serve as a reminder for all to drive vigilant. Thailand roads are very good. Too good and people speed. There is a margin of safety present at slower speeds.

This will take time. I am an ardent explorer of Tai backroads on a bicycle. Best bicycling in the world, hands down.

Archived